The Experience of Geometry

I’ve explained this - we’ve identified a specific section in the human brain that responds to certain simple geometric objects (e.g. lines).

No, of course not. Individuals can’t evolve. These individuals have improved upon what was a genetic foundation from the beginning.

It’s just like people who, as children, are good at sports, and as adults are sports professionals. One and all, they have genetic gifts that expressed themselves when the child was young - but through training and nurture, these people, who could have become postal workers instead, became athelets.

Good, good.

===========
Interesting question. The mind of man attach a meaning to each thing he experience. For example, when man first adored the rising sun, raised his arms shoulder level and saw the shadow of the cross. Along the way, he saw a stone that is circular in shape, the full moon, a twig from a tree, the waves of the water, the clouds, the stars etc. and man formed symbols. Man then attempted to convey his ideas from his mind to the minds of others by his observations of nature, and draw lines, circles, arcs and group these symbols together and he has a story. So yes, I think only from experience we can convey ideas.

I am overwhelmed by the neat responses. And thanks, Twiffy, for responding when we disagree on so much. So many good ideas here. I cannot address them all. So I’ll go back to my original suppositions.

1. Why does the brain need to express itself in geometric symbols if those symbols did not exist, prebrain, as experiential events designating physical necessities?
  2. Abstract is a nasty word for brain-mind development past instinct.
  3. That adults use the same symbols for designs as children do does not negate the possibility of the designs having evolved.
  4. It may be that all human ideas stem from experiences of motion and other physical conditions.
    Thanks, O.G. and all. I have a painting by Wm. Blake that shows God creating the world using a compass. I’ve also heard that DaVinci drew Mona Lisa’s enigmatic smile with a compass positioned on a part of her nose. Again, I’m overwhelmed by the good responses, all of them, to this thread.
    Aren’t the line and the circle essential ingredients of religions and philosophies? I love Boethius’ assumption of the cross as signifying a junction of universal and particular worlds, a timequake that disturbs linearity by affecting what came before and after an event. The Wiccan circle, used in many religious ceremonies (I sat in on Am. Native ones.) is recognition that we are all in this living experience together.