The Fundamentals of Mass Psycholgy

All of us to some extent are students of life. We all begin in childhood, especially when we witness our parents or family in general argue with each other over all kinds of matters. An extremist by nature, I have found that the best way to get to the bottom of anything is to do just that - dig down as deep as I can and try to uncover the foundations upon which any argument rests. I did this professionally for thirty years as a documentary film and television producer.

I started with ethology, which is the study of animal behavior and worked my way up from there, working with Stone Age Bushmen in the Kalahari studying the actual effects of animism on a hunter/gatherer life style; then worked my way up each subsequent level of our evolving consciousness - through shaman-based Bronze Age agricultural tribalism, Iron Age industrial craftsmanship and rigid scriptural dogma; Middle Eastern Sufism, Hindu yoga and Buddhist Zen. In that long process of both self and collective discovery I ended up with a lot of basic conclusions about our current Steel Age of scientific determinism and religious argument that one does not find in standard text books. The fruit of all that work is published in my book “Psyche-Genetics” which I hope you may end up reading one day.

Anyway, here is a bit of base knowledge about ourselves that you might have already figured out for yourself.

[size=150]Three fundamental Archetypes of Human Consciousness.[/size]

On top of the pile are the most blessed among us;
The most physically attractive.
The most industrially accomplished
The most courageous
The most loving
The most artistically accomplished
The most visionary
The most creatively inventive.

In the middle of the pile are the bulk of us, who can only marvel at the best, be thankful that they exist as living examples of what we all can be like and try our own level best to be like them.

At the bottom of the pile are the misfits, all struggling with some form of natural distortion - some applying super-human efforts to rise above their handicaps, and in that process rising above mere mortal level. Others are trying their best to hold their own, or sinking into apathy. Some, too many alas, turn rogue.

Good read, thanks!

Is your book available in bookstores? It sounds like my cup of tea. My own work on the evolution of epistemological paradigms could benefit from your findings.

Glad to meet a fellow on the same line of work.
Would like to know more about your efforts.
You can get Psyche-Genetics online at Barnes and Noble or Amazon, or at authorhouse.com For more about the book you can check out my website listed below.
Cheers

There is no logical explanation for the existence and evolution of consciousness.

Organic life, according to physics is the net result of the random activity of a variety of chemicals erroded from solid rock and mixed with water in a primeval soup.

If one follows that line of logic, then why would an essentially mechanical process need to progress beyond the basic survival needs of feeding and procreating? What motive would it have for evolving into a complex self-conscious being who would rise above the rest of Natrure and become interested in the workings of the entire Cosmos?

Those questions can only be addressed in metaphsyical terms and are, of course, the ancient origins of a wide variety of contentious theological belief systems.

If the arise of a conscious being that would one day become devoted to scientific determination has any intuitive purpose beyond physics, can it be that it’s dual brain capacity was designed to eventually answer the Enigma of Consciousness in universal terms - and thereby put an end to seemingly ceaseless theological arguments?

If it seems rediculous to state that consciousness arose of its own out of solid rock, would it not be more universally understood and logical to propose that the seed of conscious has been, all along, a charismatic attribute of the atomic nucleas?

Is the Universe not primarily a vast radiation of atomic consciousness?
Has human consciousness not especially evolved as an observing ego, which allows Cosmic Consciousness the illusion of seeing and experiencing itself via the drama of life in an illusory Creation?

I wish you men luck with your financial endeavours.

I read a very good explanations about the origin of human consciousness in the book Walden Two, by B.F. Skinner.

He indicated that the mind developed as a way to visualise behaviour before it’s actually done. This allows the animal to practice what they are going to do before they do it. That allows for a much better survival strategy than simply reacting to events.

This explains consciousness very well in my opinion.

It helps to explain an aspect of the on-going evolution of consciousness, not its origins or its ultimate purpose. Practicing hunting does not necesarily result in the Taj Mahal or the 23rd psalm.

Mass Psychology: The association of identity with the other.
Social behavior depends on the ego-repressing inebriation of emotions.

Emotion is how the gene makes the mind act in accordance with its interests – just as morality and law is how a meme accomplishes the same thing.

Emotion is how the fundamental anxieties and fears of existence are repressed or sublimated long enough to ensure cooperation and interaction.

I presume this line of thought includes the fundamental joys and triumphs of life as well? :smiley:

Definitely.

As I’ve stated before.
Life and Suffering are synonymous.

Therefore how does a unity, becoming conscious, retain interest in life?

Hmm. Sort of reminds of Dan~ saying chaos is needed for growth. What’s the fun in being one when we’re meant to struggle for it?

Lol, it’s like a dog race where they like dangle the food in front of them…and they won’t race if they don’t have the food. We’re being bribed, damn it! And that prize is illusionary…for now. But maybe, we’ll finally get the food? That doesn’t mean our evolving will be complete, though. It’s never ending, right? Why do we strive for completion when it will never happen? Or will it? We strive for it individually and within bounds of our life span but we can’t expect completion in that respect. Life isn’t completion and neither is the universe. Y’know, I like history. It keeps track of the story we’re unfolding as people. It’s our secret language hidden from any other kind. None other than the human race can communicate in such a way as through time and individual participation. We’re literally the only beings that understand the concept of what we would call eternity. Our consciousness is expanding but by the same ol’ methods. We’re not evolving physically; we’re evolving mentally.
Mentally into physically, but are we ourselves changing? I don’t think so.
It does take a creator to create but creation has been here before us, the current creators. No other species consciously creates. Every other species instinctively creates and cycles. But, being a species that is consciously aware of the cycle outside of this instinctive nature we defy it with eternal thinking.

GG- MagnetMan

Hello Magnet Man:
First I wanted to answer some of the questions asked in the site:

1- When we argue over the existence of God, are we not undermining our
spirituality and end up struggling with increasing unethical social behavior?
O- Sometimes not arguing over the existence God can lead to the same consequences, which perhaps illustrates that this particular tendency in our history has little to do with discusions on God in specific.

2- Has nuclear science not already stated that matter and energy are inter-related and does that not imply that body and spirit are one and the same?
O- No it does not. If anything the acceptance of Einstein’s theory of Relativity obliterate any ideas on “body” (See Russell’s “Outline”) and “spirit” as well, as a single entity that preceeded our birth and will survive our death etc, etc.

3- Are we entering a New Age of planet management, which engages the creative genius of every culture and rids us of hunger and unemployment, or are we to remain fixed on short-term corporate goals that reward only the few?
O- It is paradoxical, but globalization will not end world hunger. It is NOT the coorporate goals that create unemployment and hunger. Coorporations would love to open a Walmart and a Starbucks in Ghana, or Somalia. But ethnic cleasing, genocide, pogroms etc, done in the interests of Warlords and their dominant tribe, that’s what create unemployment (unless you wish to be employed as a gunman) and poverty (for the Warlord will make sure that his gunmen are feed and paid before the mases are).

Further points are made in posts to other, but I wish to comment on these as well.

— There is no logical explanation for the existence and evolution of consciousness.
O- But there are biological reasons and those are the ones within the scope of our knowledge and not mere speculation and theology. There isn’t and there needs not be any explanation. Why is it so hard to say: “I don’t know”?

— If one follows that line of logic, then why would an essentially mechanical process need to progress beyond the basic survival needs of feeding and procreating?
O- That is not a logic, but a description. It does not presume to say why it happened-- Life that is-- but how it developed. At any rate, the humble beginnings in a pea soup of chemicals does not mean that that we should have expected only a humble and static organism that ate and screwed. Things simply change and some changes advance other changes and so forth until you get Shakespeare!

— What motive would it have for evolving into a complex self-conscious being who would rise above the rest of Natrure and become interested in the workings of the entire Cosmos?
O- Again, you’re projecting your own needs into the theories of science. “It” does not have a motive. Last I checked the word was “random selection”.

— Those questions can only be addressed in metaphsyical terms and are, of course, the ancient origins of a wide variety of contentious theological belief systems.
O- As I have just demonstrated, there is no “only” here but in your own perspective, which is trying to return to those theological explanations of “Why”. What you fail to see is that as enlightened as it might seem to you, be it ID, Yahweh or Allah, the objection persists.

— If it seems rediculous to state that consciousness arose of its own out of solid rock, would it not be more universally understood and logical to propose that the seed of conscious has been, all along, a charismatic attribute of the atomic nucleas?
O- It is ridiculus to suppose that consciousness arouse from rocks… as much as saying that Hitler and Mao or Stalin and Pol Pot were once innocent children sucking their loving mother’s tit. Suppose you were there to look at those big checks and little hands grasping at your finger. Would you have then said that it was reasonable to suppose that from such a tiny baby a mass murderer would evolve? Ridiculus, right?

— It helps to explain an aspect of the on-going evolution of consciousness, not its origins or its ultimate purpose. Practicing hunting does not necesarily result in the Taj Mahal or the 23rd psalm.
O- No. The biological description gives you all you need, it’s origins and purpose. Hunting helps you to survive and that is the primary goal of living beings, conscioussly or not. Literature and architecture and things we do after such activities become as good as securing survival for the individual as hunting.
Note that the great achievents of ancient man, from the Egyptians on came from agricultural societies which created a surplus and the application of our genius to other facets.
Now, be it the Taj or the Psalm, in both we see a concern with spiritual matters. Yet, before you try to find the logic of writing a psalm or building a Taj on anthropomorphic interpretations of atoms, you might consider what biological traits led to such activities.

It seems to me that Skinner’s explanation is very complete.

On-going evolution: There is very little

Origin: To create behavioural “plays” that act out potential behaviour, as a means to take the safest route.

Purpose: To provide the best choices of behaviour.

Taj Mahal: What does the building mean, then you have you answer.

Half a century ago I graduated out of high school, indoctrinated into a scientific methodology and fully convinced by the argument of an empirical doctrine, which claimed that everything in existence has a natural physiological explanation - that if some of the more subtle mysteries of the cosmos are not yet fully understood yet, given time, science will come up with a definitive answer. In short, my mindset at the time of graduation was more or less identical to most the people who have commented on all the philosophical forums I am registered on. IE if humans can not see it, taste, smell it, touch it or hear it, it does not exist. My education trained me to scoff at the supernatural claims of religion and sent me off into life with boundless material ambitions - uninhibited by superstitious spiritual precautions.

Around my middle age, after a successful career as television producer, marred by two failed marriages, I became interested in trying to plumb the deeper mysteries of the invisible metaphysical forces that surround all of us. IE; love, hate, anger, guilt, stupidly, genius, courage, cowardice and a host of other very real emotional effects had direct impact on my state of mind, and on my conduct - towards myself and those around me. These were real life mysteries which my scientific teaching in school had failed to address - and which my largely agnostic and atheistic community could not provide the reassuring and comforting answers that I needed at male menopause.

At forty years of age I did not know if I had ever really experienced genuine love for anybody, including myself and my society - our how to evoke it. I knew that I had experienced anger, joy, envy, admiration, jealousy etc etc. but had no way of measuring the depth of those experiences. I wondered why some wrote profound poetry and psalms. I did not know why I could not sing in tune, or paint elegant pictures like my brother or dance with the rhythm of an aborigine. The promise of answers from science that I received in school, had yet to explain why any of these life forces and natural abilities existed and my society as a whole seemed intent, via its lock on empiricism, on continuing to avoid any attempt to do so.

So I decided to set out and do my own personal research on the meaning of my life. I went into the desert and lived with the Kalahari Bushmen.

The San are our original ancestors who still lived (at that time) an uncontaminated Stone Age existence. I found that the central social interest in their life, was not the physical science of survival via hunting and gathering, but in personal, social and spiritual integrity. By puberty they were all masters at basic survival. The ingenuity and craftsmanship of their traps, snares, weapons, tools; and their extensive knowledge of edible and medicinal plants, and the behavior of the animals they hunted was extra-ordinary. But the central interest in their lives was Animism - the superstitious belief that Nature was a soul - a conscious entity that rewarded the hunt and punished trespass. This uncontested belief guided their social behavior and was taught to children as soon as they were weaned. Instead of the skull-bashing ignorant louts we generally assign to our Stone Age ancestors, I found a highly intelligent, sharing caring people that were filled with the joy of life. loved singing and dancing and Rock art, smoked cannabis on occasion and went into altered states of spiritual consciousness.

The fact that spirituality not physical survival was the inspirational drive of our prehistoric ancestors, and that trespass on the divinity of Nature was entirely taboo and considerate family relationships a fundamental teaching of their children, is a basic human behavioral reality that science continues to remain largely unaware of. And so would I if I had not gone to find out for myself.

From that family base of human behavior, I moved on investigating each succeeding complex social contract that followed after the Stone Age, visiting and living with 3rd World Bronze Age agricultural clans and Iron Age national industrialists groups that still practiced ancient cultural traditions - finding out as I went that as mankind mastered the physical sciences of each succeeding Age paradigm, that mastery was accompanied by a corresponding focus on the type of spiritual practice that provided ethical guidance to individual and and group relationships.

Where animism and awe of Nature cemented Stone Age family group behavior, Shamanism guided Bronze Age societies, allowing for psychically gifted individuals to act as spiritual mediums between the clans and their dead ancestors who in turn importuned the weather gods on behalf of the descendants to keep the harvests flourishing. followed. Shamans themselves were universally regarded with both fear and awe, Their psychic powers were demonstrated by their uncanny ability to diagnose and cure ailments without asking for symptoms, practice surgery, interpret dreams, comfort the dying and predict future events.

Among deeply devout Iron Age cultures who believed implicitly in their religious scriptures. I found that their belief in an omniscient, ever-observant God, brought a personal sense of conscientiousness to their craftsmanship and evoked a collective sense of pride in their national power. In school, scripture was learned religiously, side by side with science. State and Church were intrinsically intertwined. No politician was elected to office unless he was also a devout coreligionist. The kings and their families were naturally accepted as divine appointments. Religious ministers, mystics and dead saints were deeply revered for the spiritual services and miracles they performed.

From this personal experience among the three foundation Ages of human development, a clear trend emerged. As we enter a new age paradigm, we look outwards while we master its physical disciplines - then we turn increasingly inwards and try to master ourselves in relation to the increased state of awareness the new paradigm imposes on our individual and collective psyche.

I have since returned resume my life our western culture that is still trying to master a science-based paradigm. It is a culture that, via denigration of the past, remains largely unaware of how our ancestors really evolved. thought and worshipped, - characterizing our prehisitoric Ages as primitively superstitious and barbaric. It is also scornful of scriptures and the zealous religious practices of Iron Age cultures - an unkind process that dangerously divides the world community and which directly debases our own ancestral history, which believed in the claims of all our saints who proclaimed the existence of supernatural forces that lie beyond the realm of science, and who demonstrated their inspirations by uncounted acts of human kindness and service to our society.

This dichotomy, between our past history of reliance on metaphysics for sound social development and our current reliance, primarily on the physical sciences, and our subsequent impoverishment of inner understanding, has led me to look at the so called hippie movement and drug culture of the 1960’s in a more holistic light. Since that time, some two hundred million Westerners, all with a basic science background, have taken initiation into a wide variety of esoteric spiritual practices, much of it from the Far East.

I have been part of that New Age movement for thirty years now. Spiritual ( or right brain) practices have immeasurably increased my understanding of myself and my motivations. I revere our ancestors. I have found that I can love and honor my family deeply. I can sing in tune, draw elegantly and dance up a storm. My IQ has jumped up a few notches and I can now master mathematical and physical equations that stumped me formerly.

So I ask you these questions:
Is our evolutionary cycle of increasing self consciousness on-going?
Does the new Nuclear Age herald the beginning of a new era of inward searching?
Will the 21st century bring on a new type of spirituality - both individually and collectively?
Are we at the start of a new spiritual paradigm that is directly related to the science of atomic theory?