The historical Jesus didn't create a new religion!

Hello! My name is Anders Branderud, and I am 23 years old and live in Sweden.

This post will be about the historical Jesus. Who was he? Did he or his followers create a new religion?

According to historical scholarship [sources: see at the bottom of this post] he practised what corresponds to today’s Orthodox Judaism all his life. His followers were called Netzarim (Hellenized to “Nazarenes”) – that is Hebrew [it means offshoot (especially from the root or trunk of an olive tree)] and is a name in the Jewish Bible that is used for Messiah.
By practising Torah non-selectively, just like the historical Jesus did, one makes the world a better place to live in!

During the first century those who practised Judaism were very devoted their religion. Just like King David and all other Jews throughout history they practised Torah (Instruction) – the Instructions of the Creator – with joy! The most prominent university professors in this field Prof. Elisha Qimron , author of the most authoritative treatise on 4Q MMT, demonstrates that all three of the major sects of first century Judaism followed both written and oral Torah.

Louis Feldman (”The Omnipresence of the G*od-Fearers,” Biblical Archaeology Review, 1986.09-10, p. 45, 58ff) observes: “the Jews were apparently extraordinarily successful in winning converts”

Year 7 B.C.E Ribi Yehoshua were born in Bethlehem. His father name was Yoseif and his mothers name was Miriam. His parents were practising Jews.

The research of world-recognized authorities in this area implies that Ribi Yehoshua was a Pharisee (a Torah-practising Jewish group - who according to 4Q MMT practised both written and oral Torah). As the earliest church historians, most eminent modern university historians, our web site (www.netzarim.co.il) and our Khavruta (Distance Learning) texts confirm, the original teachings of Ribi Yehoshua were not only accepted by most of the Pharisaic Jewish community, he had hoards of Jewish students.

He took care of sick and he and his followers prayed in what corresponds to today’s Orthodox synagogues. The genealogically non-priest, Hellenist “Wicked Priest” Temple-Sadducees felt that their power was threaten by Ribi Yehoshua. They decided to get him crucified by the Romans. The Romans convicted and crucified Ribi Yehoshua year 30 C.E.

Ribi Yehoshua’s followers Netzarim were expelled from Jerusalem 135 C.E: together with all other Jews. The first Christian bishop Markos replaced the fifteenth leader of Netzarim. This Christian bishop didn’t have permission to do this. What the Paul the apostate and later the founder of Christianity did was to take some concepts that Ribi Yehoshua had taught; they distorted the concepts and included them in the religion which they practiced – Hellenism – the religion of the Greeks. (Sources: See Ecclesiastical History (EH IV.v.1-4; EH V.xii.1) )

Anyone educated in this field knows that the only sect of Judaism that had rabbis was the Pharisee and even the Christian NT described him as a rabbi. Parkes, Bagatti, Wilson, Charlesworth; all world-recognized authorities in this area leave no doubt that Ribi Yehoshua was a Pharisee, of the school of Hileil - who was also Pharisee. There is no serious dispute about that among scholars in the field. Ribi Yehoshua taught in “synagogues”; which were a strictly Pharisee institution.

Following the teachings of the Judaic Mâshiakh (Messiah) Ribi Yehoshua – that is doing one’s utmost to practice the 613 commandments of Torah - also brings the inner joy, purpose and happiness of working intimately with him to bring about, and participate in, the Messianic era, enjoying a higher level of communion with ha-Sheim - the Creator - as party to Yirmeyâhu’s (Jeremiah’s) New Covenant.

If you want to learn about the Historical Ribi Yehoshua, whom Orthodox Jews can live with (witness the Netzarim Jews in Raanana, Israel, members in good standing in an Orthodox synagogue), you must start with books like How Jesus Became Christian by Prof. Barrie Wilson (most bookstores) and Who Are The Netzarim? (publ. www.schuellerhouse.com) by Israeli Orthodox Jew, Paqid Yirmeyahu Ben-David.

From Anders Branderud
Geir Toshav, Netzarim in Ra’anana in Israel (www.netzarim.co.il) whom is followers of Ribi Yehoshua – the Messiah – in Orthodox Judaism

Where does ‘red’ end and ‘blue’ begin?

This is interesting. We were discussing a related topic on another thread entitled “Two Christianities.” I started perusing the websites you linked and came across the above reference. I searched for this reference in the online version of Eusebius’ History of the Church but III.xxvii.4 there doesn’t say anything about Paul. Can you explain this?

Felix Dakat,

edit: I am glad to that you think it is interesting!

EH III.xxvii.4 says:
“4. These men, moreover, thought that it was necessary to reject all the epistles of the apostle, whom they called an apostate from the law; and they used only the so-called Gospel according to the Hebrews and made small account of the rest.”

Everyone with a basic knowledge of Christianity knows that the above verse must refer to Paul. The redacted epistles of this “apostle” are now in the Christian NT.

From Anders Branderud
Geir Toshav, Netzarim in Ra’anana in Israel (netzarim.co.il) whom is followers of Ribi Yehoshua – the Messiah – in Orthodox Judaism

No need to adopt a snide tone, especially when that tone serves as the sole justification for the point in question.

I am of the opinion that the Christianity of the Gospels is ultimately different from Judaism in that Judaism is primarily about following rules whilst Christianity is (or should be) about developing your own independent judgmental capacity.

Not in the theology of Judaic Christianity.

Judaic Christianity is pretty much an Orthodoxy, of which are a family of Christianity that hold to the exact than the relative.
It is important to do “y” and only “y” and not “z” for “y”, nor believe “x” as a substitute of doing “y”.

The Protestant Christian family sects are akin to the statement that:
It is important to believe “x” and only “x”; “y” is an extension practice of believing “x”.

Some Protestant sects hold that:
It is important to believe “x” and to also do “y”; “z” is an extension of practice in believing “x”.

Orthodox Christianity places value that “x”, “y”, and “z” are each a necessity in perfect respective place and without exception. An exception, in Orthodoxy Christianity is a potential for damnation, or falling away at the least.

I suppose I could put it this way:

Protestant overall:
The point is to make the beer strong; having great taste is an extension of making it strong.

Is it strong? Good enough!

Some Protestant sects hold:
The point is to make the beer strong that must be great tasting; stoutness is an extension of making strong beer.

Having only strength is not enough; without taste it is garbage.

Orthodoxy holds that:
The point is to make a great tasting stout and strong beer that is made with the use of hops carefully controlled and monitored. There are no exceptions to the recipe.

Anything less of this is garbage.

I think your right about Eusebius referring to Paul. Ireneaeus I.26.2 makes a similar statement:
“Those who are called Ebionites agree that the world was made by God; but their opinions with respect to the Lord are similar to those of Cerinthus and Carpocrates. They use the Gospel according to Matthew only, and repudiate the Apostle Paul, maintaining that he was an apostate from the law. As to the prophetical writings, they endeavour to expound them in a somewhat singular manner: they practise circumcision, persevere in the observance of those customs which are enjoined by the law, and are so Judaic in their style of life, that they even adore Jerusalem as if it were the house of God.”

Er, isn’t that when the need is greatest?

This viewpoint, coming from a Swede, is almost mystical–but for the most part I agree.