The Left should tell Obama "No Way" on this deal

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Wed, March 31, 2010 – 12:01 AM ET

Obama to Open Offshore Areas to Oil Drilling

"The Obama administration is proposing to open vast expanses of water along the Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the north coast of Alaska to oil and natural gas drilling for the first time, officials said Tuesday.

The proposal – a compromise that will please oil companies and domestic drilling advocates but anger some residents of affected states and many environmental organizations – would end a longstanding moratorium on oil exploration along the East Coast from the northern tip of Delaware to the central coast of Florida, covering 167 million acres of ocean."

Obama expands Bush’s wars, Bush’s security state, and now this. If we had wanted this, we could have elected McCain and Palin. Time to say no to Obama…loudly.

Why dont you want us to have energy?

This is just another example of Obama being right of center again. I wish he would start being liberal to justify my vote for him.
I want a real liberal in the white house, not just a pretend one.

Kropotkin

I don’t agree that Obama is “right of center.” I do disagree with his decsion open water along the coastline to oil and natural gas drilling. Yesterday’s oil rig explosion exemplifies why it’s a bad idea. Per CNN the “oil rig fire in the Gulf of Mexico refused to be extinguished” today.

“Crude oil was leaking from the rig at the rate of about 8,000 barrels per day, Coast Guard Petty Officer Ashley Butler said. The Coast Guard also is preparing for possible leaks of up to 700,000 gallons of diesel fuel but can do little to protect the environment until the fire is out, Butler said.”

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=171707

Help close the door on another drilling disaster. Urge the Obama administration to reject expanded offshore drilling exploration. The deadline for public comments on the proposal is Monday, May 3rd so please send your message now…

secure.defenders.org/site/Advoc … on&id=1759

What is your solution to the energy demands of a growing economy? While it may “feel” good to get worked up over an oil spill - it will “feel” a lot worse when people can’t afford to commute to their jobs, or pay for previously affordable goods when the price of foreign oil hits new heights…

I think this is the kind of crap we are just going to have to live with until truly environmentally friendly energy is cheap and available. Don’t forget that Obama also OKed the wind farm off the coast of Nantucket.

That said, what kind of safety mechanisms failed here? It seems like there should be a series of valves that would detect a leak like this and automatically and mechanically shut themselves.

Hopefully the USA will begin to get serious about alternative energy.

Only God can help.

That bitch? He’s worthless.

Change we can believe in…

:laughing:

Change but not sufficient.

What does offshore drilling have to do with us having energy and the prices we pay at the pump? Oh yeah, absolutely nothing.

eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/otheranalysis/ongr.html

We cannot maintain the largest military-industrial complex in the world without ever increasing oil supplies.