The Matrix???????

Hey Guys… I dunno in school today we started To compare the matrix to life… and i was just wondering what ur opions were on the flim u guys think it had any philosophy in it … or just a bunch of mumbo jumbo… feel free :smiley: :smiley: THANKS GUYS

If you are refering to question “what is reality” that is constantly brought up during the film, I suggest reading “The Dhammapada” and the “The Upanashids” for some old school thoughts on this. Also, quoting from these books during this sort of conversation would impress your teacher and hopefully result in a higher grade. Either that, or she will look at you as if you were crazy.

according to ben, I think theres hair on my neck.

HEy Dragon Heart Thanks soo much for the advice … :smiley:

What’s going on Acid Element.

I love The Matrix. But if you really looked deep into it I think you should take a stab at the Seventh book in Plato’s Republic. It is a short story called the Allegory of the Cave. See if you could see any similarities between the story of the first movie with this one.
I also suggest The Three Pillars of Zen. This book I have read five times, it is very hard (not for the faint of heart), but I enjoyed it tremendosly. It was the book that made me question reality. Watching the Matrix after the third time of reading this book solidified many aspects of the question of reality that I had.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe that we are actually batteries for a race of robots. I just believe that this isn’t the true reality. But that is another conversation all in itself.
To recap and answer your first question. I don’t think that the Matrix had its own philosophy, but it did draw from philosophy. To me they were highly inspired by Buddhism. Pardon my spelling.

It seems that many philosophy prof’s are using the matrix in class these days. I’d agree with the allagory of the cave, mainly because i know that my friend required his introductory philosophy class to write a paper compairing the two. Personally, although i am not very religious, I’d say that the matrix is nothing more than a glorified modern day story of jesus.

Just a few example, his name is mr. anderson, Anderson means loosely “son of man”. Even his moniker neo, of african origns meaning “gift”, english meaning “new”. Trinity, is a reference to the holy trinity of the three states of god’s being, father, son, and holy spirit. Now, this dips a bit into the rest of the story, not just the first movie, but neo and the rest, do go “awaken” other minds. Much like jesus and his apostles. I’m not sure of exactly how many of these “apostles” of neo there are, (anyone, who follows the story more in depth through the animatrix series let me know) but i have a feeling that the number of black leather trench coat wears will indeed equal the number of apostles, if not now, but by the end of the final installment. I can elaborate more for anyone else who is interested.

Go to the The Matrix’s website. See philosophy section. Done.

I saw the AniMatrix, I loved it. The video game also has tons of information on the general sub-plots of the sequal and the next movie. I never saw the connection between Neo and Jesus. That’s great.
dereckchadmiller, I would like some more of your insight in this, I doubt that the Matrix website will discuss that.

My theory on the Matrix movies is that there are levels. When Neo and Trinity are in the “real world” they are really just in another Matrix. The architect says in Reloaded that there are levels of survival they are willing to accept. He also says that the mathematical equation that makes the Matrix perfect has room for a remainder. This remainder grows until it becomes a systamatical error. In other words out of every hundred humans, one doesn’t accept the Matrix. That one needs to go somewhere and believe that they are doing something to help out the rest of humanity. I’m getting off my lunch break and can’t really follow my thought process, but what I’m basicly saying is that they aren’t in the real world yet. And that is why Neo says, “Somethings different.” and then he stops the Sentinels as they are escaping the destruction of the Nebochonezard. Wow, I am one hell of a Nerd!!!

What makes the Matrix such a great film is that the Wachowski Brothers plagiarised Sextus Empiricus, Rene Descartes, and Brain-In-A-Vat Theory.

I thought the matrix trilogy was terrible. I say this without having seen Matrix Revolutions because I assume it will be terrible. While I welcomed the freshness of the original Matrix, I found myself completely bored with the second one. The relationship between Neo and Trinity was laughable and I can’t really take Keanu Reeves seriously. I think I was drawn to the first one because of the use of suspense in the storytelling. I was kept on the edge of my seat and wanted to know what would happen next. I found the sequel to be unnecessary and I can’t help but think they left questions unanswered for the sole purpose of selling spinoffs such as comic books, DVDs, and video games. I think many professors are using it as an example because it is a modern movie that most of us have seen and can relate to.

Having studied philosophy and film recently, I wrote my dissertation around both subjects. In my opinion philosophy has very close connections to many films. The mediated substantive message can be found in many of the science fiction films of past and of present day. To me the “Matrix” goes beyond science fiction and delves more deeply into the philosophical questions and views we have today. Those being reality, time and being, experience and consciousness. That issue of a dream world and a real world is suggest to have derived from biblical reference to an Egyptian king. Also the technological aspect is raised in the antagonistic view of being human. The issue of free will could also be considered as being addressed among many others. If you look at the science fiction genre them you can find many philosophical issues raised. To me the "Matrix’ is as the science fiction genre suggests, that being the ‘what if’. Where the "Matrix’ elaborates this genre is in its approach to current issues so prevalent today. Most science fiction deals with the issues we may face tomorrow. Today we are held in the constraints of technology and some may say that technology is the governing factor in our lives. The “Matrix” speaks to those that feel they have become encased by technology and addresses the human aspect to it all. As we all know computers can become so much a part of our lives that our living resides within them. Maybe it tells of days when fields we once walked or distances travelled to converse with others of our kin. Maybe it speaks of advancement and accomplisment to enveloping our being with our not being. There could also be the suggestion that it reassures our fears that our future is secure as there are some that fear that the future of the species human has no place in the future.
The success of the films have been so because they communicate to the many who hold their own individual significant meanings held within the film. To me the films are the what could have been if we had not been "prima facie’ as granted.

Read Jean Baudrillard…there are many references to his books in the film so i would say he is a good place to start, plus he has a nice way of writing that is easy to read

And I think you, sir, are an idiot. Of course, I say this without having met you because I assume you will be an idiot. :astonished: (please note the satire before you all jump in with “AdMIn AbUzES P0WeR d000dZ!!!”)

I think this is only half the story. The best articles I’ve read on the Matrix films are the ones at wylfing.net/essays/ and they go into great detail about the divinity of Neo. Neo is not just christ-like, he is also a buddha character. The whole trilogy is a bringing together the great western and eastern traditions of God/Life/Afterlife into one melting pot (how post-modern of them.)

The Wachowski Bros are not re-telling the story of Jesus or the story of Buddha. They are telling their own story, using the symbols of divinity which we already have to explain Neo’s character. I really reccomend reading those two articles because the writer says it better than I can.

• ben

Thanks for the link Ben,
I read the essays and found them to be very interesting, in fact, I agreed with a large majority of what was said in them.

Subtext número uno here is that the mouse potato is the highest evolution of man. When we meet Neo he’s holed up in a closet, clicking and clacking away all night, every night. He lives on the computer.

Then there comes a call for a great hero. What? The pale guy hiding in the closet? Sure, cause he’s got the skills of the new age. He’s ready for a world in which prowess is a downloaded program (the tech guy is blown away by how much/how fast Neo can install). He’s ready to let go of reality and live in a computer-generated fantasy, ready to switch over to a reality bracketed within a program.

Neo and his groupies are fighting the machines, and even fighting the big computer, but the whole thing is P.R. for carpal-tunel-suffering, Mountain-Dew-swilling would be hackers. Playstation is more than life.

This is an example of an a priori synthetic judgement.

Matrix philosophy is a warning, its a shame that reloaded and revolutions were only bullshit produced mass production etc. movies for stupid people with special effects.

Think about this…when we are building robots for serving our needs, we are building slaves that will slay their masters in time. Unless slaves/servants/allies are treated fairly.

Think about slavery or French revolution. Someone is allways taking bigger part of the cake because?. Greed?.Development?. Or both.

But when culture/memes/technology starts to define how we should behave or how we should look alike were in deep shit.

Many of you know story about Adam and Eve from bible. And the apple that has taken our innocence and give us conciousness, development.

Only human can think and produce higher culture and language in this planet. But are we creating Hell?<-enviromental problems etc. humans dont survive without oxygen etc. basic needs.

Second Renaissance Part 1 & 2 are warnings, that we should understand consecenses of our actions.

Only proud,greed and stupid denies that problems arent created by stupidity and lack of empathy of mankind.

So people are only programs that are controlled by memes/culture/politics which only agenda is to survive…can you awake from the dream?

I Think Ghost In The Shell is much better animation/movie than Matrix.

Like AI is saying in the end…“It’s time to cast aside our bonds and elevate our conciousness to higher plane, it’s time to become part of all things”.

understanding ourselves…

I read a book by Arthur C Clarke, and although I cant remember the name, I’m sure The Matrix has taken it off (either that or the author of the book based it on something else, but I dont think so). It was about two cities on earth a million years into the future. It was pretty good.

It scares me how our ultimate technological goal is to recreate our own intelligence, but smarter. Intelligence is what makes us the dominant species. When Agent Smith says “…It is inevitable…”, he might have been referring to the way that no individual has the power to stop technology, and once AI is here, it is inevitable that we wont be able to control it.

Please dont call me paranoid =/ I dont think I’m any more paranoid than the next guy, lol

(I just remembered it was called “The City and the Stars”)