The origin of Monotheism

The Egyptians were far more expert in astronomy than they are usually given credit for (The Crystal Sun by Robert Temple). A member of the Egyptian ‘royal family’, Moses (philology: Pharoahonic family name m’s’s as in Ram’s’s, Tutm’s’s, Tothm’s’s etc., Rameses, Tutmosis, Tothmosis), for what ever reason, left Egypt with the Israelites. He was aware of the coming conjunction of Venus and Mercury (Venus in the morning sky, Shackar), the divine shekinah (The Book of Hiram by Knight and Lomas) and was able to ignite a bush with either 2 lenses, a fire glass or some similar method some time later, after the sun had risen. He also had some rules carved in stone.

This conjunction occurred again in 7BC. The Essenes knew this and arranged for their major events to occur just as the ancient prophecies (?spelling) predicted. Hence the New Testament. This is what the Jehovahs Witnesses do today (I believe) with the Book of Revelation.

Some centuries later Mohammed saw the Shakeenah and retired to a cave where he communed in some way with God.

It would seem to me that all three monotheistic religions arose from the Egyptians expert knowledge of astronomy, something present Eyptologists seem to have glossed over despite the massive blocks of evidence standing before them.

so are you saying that the origins for monotheism was the egyptian religion of polytheism? were the egyptians good at astrology? there’s no doubt, the three pyramids on the giza, are arranged like orions belt. were they monotheists? doubtful, where’s your proof that they believed in only one god, (the OMITS) and not several gods similiarly to greek culture which attributed gods to planets, stars and the sun.

I didn’t say that Egyptian polytheism gave rise to monotheism, I said Egyptian astronomy gave rise to it, purely knowledge of an event that was about to occur in the sky. I certainly didn’t even mention astrology, although I concede that there was not the same clear-cut distinction that we have today. Certainly Moses would have had a knowledge of the Egyptian gods.

It would be interesting to speculate why he introduced the monotheistic idea, purely following the occurence of an eclipse of two planets. Possibly he knew that any theistic belief was liable to keep the population in order and he chose one far more simple than that which had maintained the status quo for so long in Egypt. It also meant he wouldn’t have so much to remember.

I think that this question would be better answered without any historial precision. I’ll give my answer in one of my all famous skits:

<<Enter two Egyptian children arguing about 2 gods within their polytheistic beliefs>>

Kid: My god loves me.

Kid2: My god loves me too!

Kid: Well, my god loves me more than your god loves you.

Kid2: Nuh-uh! My god loves everything more than your God!

Kid: Oh yeah?! Well my God could kick your God’s butt!

Kid2: No way! My God is the most powerful of all Gods on earth!

Boom! Once we reach that level of faith (stupidity?), we have monotheism. Then, this little skit plays itself out between religions to create war, famine, and untold violence based upon no more proof than squirzels need.

Sincerely,

Floyd

Well, ‘love’ wasn’t a part of any god’s traits until christianity.
But I think that the earliest form of monotheism was more of a pre-christianity religion (which later became christianity) called Zoroastrianism where there are two souls in the body ( of course, good and evil) which constantly battle to get out, hence explaining man’s tendency to be good or evil, depending on which soul is stronger.

I was just about ready to mention Zoroastrianism as an obvious precursor to Christianity and Monotheism! Polytheism seemed useful to explain natural occurrences that couldn’t otherwise be explained. As science progressed, the Gods died, but this is only one facet of the rise Monotheism, there are many more.

Great minds think differently, but often cross paths my friend :slight_smile: Yes there are more, and whos to say others hadn’t come up with these thoughts or different ones BEFORE written documents, all we have is what we can see.

here’s some more information on Zoroastrianism.

religioustolerance.org/zoroastr.htm

I looked up the origins of Monotheism, and many researchers think that judaism became truly monotheistic around the 6th or 7th century BC, which would date it well after Zoroastrianism (pain in the ass word!!)

many theologists believe that judaism when first coming from Egypt was practicing henotheism. (the belief in multiple gods, but one “all powerful” god.)

I think this article covers the main reasons for the switch to monotheism by judaism pretty well.

bibleinterp.com/articles/MSm … theism.htm

(that of course is from a christian slant but it’s pretty unbiased imo)

then some other interesting information about a temple site discovered in persia:

cogweb.ucla.edu/Culture/Monotheism.html

this ones pretty interesting as it also seems to suggest a area wide movement into monotheism at about 600-700 BC which I believe would push the Zoroastrian movement much closer to that date.

Interesting, thanks

Monotheism is the logical step after henothism which is the logical step from polythesim.

Anything that couldn’t-can’t be explained or understood was-is attributed to the supernatural. As knowledge grew and the unkown became known gods were debunked. An all powerful god was required over the lesser gods that were falling like leaves in autumn. The all powerful god concept is now being threatened by knowledge.

I find it interesting that that you say it is being threatened by knowledge, but buddhism is the fastest growing religiong on the face of the planet :laughing:

I thought Islam was the fastest growing religion. :astonished:

I see Buddhism as the bridge between religion and atheism. For most people there needs to be an explanation that fits between divine purpose and chaos. Buddhism provides that.

Accepting that oneself is part of the big no plan is really no different from accepting oneself is part of no plan at all.

Zoroastrianism is in NO WAY connected to the develpoment of Christian monotheism.

It literally amazes me that no one on this thread has pointed to Judaism.

Zoroastrianism is a precursor to judaism, and yes it did evolve into monotheism.

There is a difference between ‘monotheism’ and ‘Christian monotheism’. Look back at what I wrote.

Ok, I can tell you are a christian. So you believe that christianity is difefrent from all other religions, when in fact the only difference is Gods Message (the promise of eternal life, that god will destroy the evil, and that he loves all things.) That is the only thing that seperates christianity from mythology. When you step back and look at it, christianity really does seem every bit as extravagent as a God for every single thing in the world. Ok, here we go:
According to historical records:

1. Zoroastrianism was the original yin and yang
  2. Zoroastrianism inspires that each part, yin and yang, control an equal domain to the other (good and evil, heaven and hell)
  3. Hebrews are supressed by the Romans
  4. Jesus delivers Gods message to the Hebrews.
  5. Good must dominate evil.
  6. Hence, God is omnipotent and the Devil is just a trouble maker.

So, in fact, Christianity is just a biased form of Zoroastrianism.

Quite simple. Monotheism is what happened when the religious began to think logically, but then stopped suddenly, like the retarded kid who was halfway off the bus, then changed his mind.

The concept of many Gods was replaced by a single God so to eliminate the individual departments and forces of nature: the God of the hunt, the harvest, war, matrimonial customs, etc… is extraneous. Monotheism is the personification of the whole of nature into one device.

So we see that among the religious thinkers, there was some amount of deductive reasoning. They figured that the existence of one God would be more logical and acceptable then trying to fit many into the equation.

The poor guys were almost there, that is, at the exit off the bus. But they stopped short of completing the task. To eliminate all extraneous metaphysics and devise a plan to interpret nature empirically.

Its like Bob slammed the door and told them all to “sit back down, we ain’t goin’ anywhere anyway, so enjoy the ride.”

(Sigh). I am an historian. My religious affiliation is irrelevant in this capacity. Your claim is historically and geographically unfounded. While there is an indirect effect of Zoroastrianism on Christianity through Zoroastrianism’s BC impact on Judaism, there is nothing to suggest that Christian monotheism was an aspect of what was affected.

The fact that Zoroastrianism had a (debated yet apparently discernible) effect on Jewish theology Before Christ does not mean that it forms the basis for Christian conceptions of the Godhead.

Back to the history books…maybe you should join me??

While I remember, this assertion is correct. It undermines an earlier argument of yours.

As you are a historian, I am merely one who takes the facts he is given, my opinion is founded by the books I was taught from, and the conversation with those I know, I respect the opinion of an expert and will take it into future arguments if you will give me the timeline you think is accurate.