The Philosophy of Mental Health

To describe our inner life or personhood (or soul or centre if you like) as illness or “healthy” is to socially disenfranchise that personhood by relegating it to the non-social realm of a fleshy machine.

That is why it is better to say that someone who is supposedly clinically depressed, or has some other clinical myth, is crazy. For “mental health/illness” stigmatises a person by saying that personhood, right down to its soul or centre, isn’t that of a person, but is that of a machine that can be tinkered with by clinicians.

What’s “clinical” ?

That must be one of the all-time great platitudes.

What, exactly, or even roughly, is the distinction between clinical and non-clinical? I don’t think anyone thinks about the way we parrot that bogus distinction.

Compensation, literally.

So you have dubbed it a bogus distinction while asking what it is at the same time? What are you prematurely applying some defense mechanism for your own ignorance? Since you have done such already, google is your friend, if you really want to know.

It depends if you take a physicalist appraoch. Although I generally like to think in terms of humanism, I find the physiological approach to humans pretty much spot on. So describing a person as a ‘fleshy machine’ to me is ultimately correct. To say it is relegating a person to this state…hmm that’s interesting. Not sure if I agree with that or not.

Would you generally like to regrd humans as a fleshy machine then?