The Shuffle

Yes, Carleas, that is true: Nothing can be found there about positive or negative aspects of the gold standard. I did not say anything about it. The gold standard belonged to the story I was telling you. I was not telling you something about a positive or negative aspect of the gold standard but about an error of those who were responsible for the reversing the gold backing of the US Dollar in 1971. At that time (1971) it was an error, or more precisely: it would had been an error before 1971, if they had done it, for example in the 1960s, because the 1960s were certainly the last possibility to give up the nonsensical debt polilcy without huge negative consequences, but instead of giving it up (in the 1960s) they did just the opposite (in 1971), because giving up the gold standard consequently means even much more accelerated, thus even much more exponentially increasing debts and a bastard economy.

So by giving up the gold standard they made the nonsensical debt polilcy even more nonsensical. And in addition, they used the gold standard as an rhetorical "argument“, as if they were capable of "casting out the demons with the ruler of the demons“. But that is what the majority of neuroactive drugs still do.

So "giving up the gold standard (and by the way: in 1971)“ does not mean that "going back to the gold standard (and by the way: in 2017)“ is the solution for the problems with the debt policy we have today (today!).

In other words: I have never (never!) talked about the subject "going back to the gold standard“.

I have never (never!) talked about the subject "going back to the gold standard“.

Okay, I forgive you. :slight_smile:

There is no absolute or optimal solution; but as I said (see above): if the gold standard is one of the demons, then the debt policy is the ruler of the demons. What they did in 1971 was casting out the demons with the ruler of the demons.