The 'True' Religion

Is there one ‘True’ religion?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

Which religion is the true and only one?

First, let me state that I am agnostic and tend to believe there is no physical or spiritual existence of God–he exists in men’s hearts and minds.

Secondly, let me state that I love theology simply because it is reason enough for people to come together and intelligently offer perspectives on something that none of us could possibly know. :smiley:

Personally, I don’t think we can argue which one religion there is among the world, so if possible, can we argue if there is only one true Christian based religion first and then can we argue if Christianity is the true religion.

I think that there is no one true ‘Faith’ among Christian based religions because from what I have read of the Holy Bible none of the religions follow the New Testament to the letter (never mind those that ignore the Old Testament entirely).

The true faith would follow all of the basic principles of Christ without exception. The Bible reads: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV).

That statement above pretty much rules out all of the old ‘root’ religions: Catholic, Orthodox, etc.

In the quote above, Jesus instructed his apostles (who were his disciples) to make disciples of all nations; therefore, unless a faith particularly stresses that members should convert non-believers that faith cannot be the true religion.

Furthermore, Catholic and most ‘root’ religions do not emphasize strong knowledge of the scriptures. Jesus instructed the apostles to teach people to obey everything–one cannot obey everthing unless you now everything well enough to obey. This rules out Protestant and other religions that branch off from this religion (too many to list).

Any religion that does not believe in the Trinity cannot be the true religion because Jesus instructed them to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. How can one be baptized equally in the name of all three and not be baptized into a multi-theist religion? This one pretty much rules out religions like Jehovas Witnesses and Mormons.

I guess that the only ‘True Faith’ would have to be those of the original apostles and the early disciples–that or any faith that has gone back to the root of its religion with compromising on its commitment to be Christ-like.

Man’s awareness of god = Spirituality
Spirituality + Culture = Myth
Myth + Politics = Religion

Myth is not a factual account of historical events but a literary expresion of underlying truths.

All Politics is corrupt to one degree or another.

So to answer your question, no religion is ‘true’ in the literal meaning of the word but all of them are true in a figurative sense.

Perhaps the better question to ask would be: Is the world a better place with one ‘True’ religion?

What if the Catholic faith were the world’s only religion? I don’t think I would want to live in that world.

What if the world’s people were are all Jehova’s Witnesses? The Jehova’s Witnesses seem like a very nice people. I mean, the miracles of heart transplants would not be allowed and Heavy Metal would not exist but that wouldn’t be so bad would it?

No. I wouldn’t want to live in a world with only one ‘True’ faith. It is the human mind’s desire to challenge the status quo.

Anytime people start talking about Truth with the capital T, then it means that people are going to die.

Absolutes tend to make men into monsters.

Exactly, especially when you consider how diverse the world is, how can you expect one perception of the Mystery to be ‘perfect’. It would be if you had perfect people I suppose, but if pigs could fly …

I quite like this simplicity - thank you.

Shalom
Bob

I know that it is often said that philosophy is the new religion; instead, can it be argued that religion has always been the first attempt at philosophy?

In many ways philosophy is a life-long pursuit to analyze one’s environment, one’s knowledge, and one’s understanding of the universe.

Religion has many of the fundamental aspects of philosophy: core beliefs that are exercised and accepted by a group. Perhaps religion is simply a more societal approach to philosophy–just a thought.

I do have another question inspired by the “God doesn’t exist: Post from an Atheist” thread.

Assuming there is no God, why is humanity overwhelmingly compelled to create a deity? Is it a defiency in the human psyche to yearn for a being that can rationalize the vast expanse called universe?

I don’t think it would be. If everyone shared the one belief there would be no room for improvement or discussion. Of course there would be no more war or violence (given that this ‘True Religion’ didn’t advocate violence) but nor would there be reason to question our existence, no motivation to ‘figure it all out’.

I know it sounds strange, but I think that not knowing the answer or the meaning to it all is the best part of life. This lack of knowledge is what makes us strive to learn.

Personally I hope there is no true religion, just faith.