The Unconscious

The unconscious is not something that is behind our thoughts, it is rather, the thoughts we are not having at that present time.
We cannot think all our thoughts at once - the unconscious, is all the thoughts we are not having…unconscious being, not conscious…This doesn’t mean we will never bring them too consciousness, but rather, they will only become conscious at certian times, circumstances, envrioments, and some will never come at all…
There are limits to what we can think. And limits to what we don’t want to think about.
The unconscious is not something that is missing but rather something that is absent as the time, not needed, redundant.
If our mind was a filing system - our thoughts the files - we would have huge archives! Temporary files…These archives would go largely untouched. This then is is the unconscious - the body of probable thoughts i.e. ANYTHING which don’t readily come into play.
What you are not thinking about - the is the unconsious, the is absent.

Does this make the unconscious redundant as a concept?

(hm, these where just some thoughts I had on the unconscious - not as something hidden, necessarily dark, secretive, but rather, “not thought of”…)

peace for now,
McGuire

(I apologise for poor spelling and grammar, i would edit but im in the middle of something)

:angry:

What a load of metaphysics. The onus is on you to prove that the unconscious exists. Until then I’m happy to say it’s a load of nonsense.

Luke,

The onus is on you to prove that the unconscious exists. Until then I’m happy to say it’s a load of nonsense.

You really meant to say “anus”. Case proven.

Dunamis

Sounds like Jung.

Thats all I have to offer right now.

There are mental processes going on that don’t happen consciously. Anyone who has tried to write a detective novel knows this. But whether one can talk about the unconscious logically or scientifically is questionnable. One can resort to rhetorical ploys to try to sidestep the ‘I’m consciously talking about that which I cannot know’ issue, one can resort to jargon and hope that no-one notices the flaws (Sigmund Freud’s favoured method) and one can resort to metaphysics, which is what Colin has done.

I didn’t intentionally resort to metaphysics! I actually thought they unconscious had more to do with persepctivism…i.e. the unconscious is the thoughts we are not having or the perspectives we could “take on” but don’t due to the limitations of our thinking and our ability to limit our thoughts and where we go with them.

I am a laymen, an amatuer, my Ideas where put up purely for speculation. Vacuous speculatin perhaps…

You can’t prove what is not being thought of…you can only marks its abscence.

Let’s just say the unconscious is “the entire sequence of probably thoughts” which have happened, have yet to happen, may well happen, and will never happen.

perhaps I am being ridiculous - I guess I was just looking for a different way of understanding the unconscious. Not as something hidden but rather missing or absent…:cry:

Colin,

perhaps I am being ridiculous - I guess I was just looking for a different way of understanding the unconscious.

No you aren’t being ridiculous, everyone else here is. Here is a related thread from the past which connects the idea of the Unconscious to Freewill that perhaps would be of some interest:

ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … p?t=144710

Dunamis