To Aidan and other Nihilists

Life is a huge pool of stagnant piss and shit.

The masses live in false happiness, because they don’t see the brown water for what it is.

Most philosophers live in true happiness, learning backstrokes and butterflies because we know we’re going to be here for awhile.

Nihilists live without happiness at all; they are the only ones who truly wallow in the filth.

Enjoy your self-depricating misery.

Gray skies are gonna clear up,
Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.
Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,
It’s not your style;
You’ll look so good that you’ll be glad
Ya’ decide to smile!
Pick out a pleasant outlook,
Stick out that noble chin;
Wipe off that “full of doubt” look,
Slap on a happy grin!
And spread sunshine all over the place,
Just put on a happy face!
Put on a happy face
Put on a happy face
And if you’re feeling cross and bitterish
Don’t sit and whine
Think of banana split and licorice
And you’ll feel fine
I knew a girl so glooming
She’d never laugh or sing
She wouldn’t listen to me
Now she’s a mean old thing
So spread sunshine all over the place
Just put on a happy face
So, put on a happy face

If nothing matters… if you aren’t convinced of any purpose in life that is really worth pursuing, I would think one would be happy. If nothing matters, there’s no reason to want it, so one is content.

The truth is self proclaimed nihilists want more than anybody, because they’ve (probably) always been so afraid of failure they’ve always looked for excuses to be “lazy” (procrastinate)–starving themselves of essential social interaction needed to make them comfortable with their sense of self. They’ve always needed (and couldn’t manage to get), and finally began feeling they couldn’t have it–but hey! Ego-saving solution! What’s the point anyway?! fuck it! Now, all I have to do is attack every single opponent of my comfortable belief system.

Yup. I recommend they learn to play an instrument or something.

Plays The Violin

( Joker as a nihilist still hasn’t lost his sense of humor. [-X )

Interesting avatar, Joker. What does it mean to you?

Perpetual ongoing absurdity.

three options really. the third? absurdism.

Life isn’t a huge pool of piss and shit, it can be interpreted that way, but there isn’t any reason to think a Nihilist would be more likely to than say, a Christian. Who quite literally believes something similar to that. Not to mention original sin which says that they themselves are piss and shit. Seeing as how nihilists deny all previously held moralities, and any notion of objectivity, it doesn’t seem that they are in any position to, as a group, hold any specific positive beliefs.

The assumption that is implied by this thread, is that one must actively pursue happiness, or see happiness as an ultimate good, in order to enjoy life. This is simply not the case. There is a certain amount to be learned from wallowing in one’s filth, just as there is a certain amount to be learned from experiencing joy, pleasuree, love, ect. They are simply flip sides of the same coin. Sure, one could live life like the American Dream tells us we should, as worthless scum-bags who’s only concern is our own happiness, but this is a shallow and limited existence, albeit extremely joyful. But, those who can or want to stomach all existence has to offer, understands that pain and failure is part of what it means to be human. Embrace despair in the same way that you embrace pleasure, and you’ll have a richer perspective by which to value this Valueless existence.

Absurdism deals with the notion that life is meaningless but contrary to existentialism there is no injecting your own meaning into life. And contrary to nihilism there are things worth living for. The whole purpose of life is to revolt against the absurdity (the lack of meaning). The way to revolt is by living life vicariously and passionately.

read camus or search it on the internet (though there isn’t a lot on it to be truthful) for more information. I’ve recently read the stranger and the plague and found them to both be excellent novels dealing with this topic.

Fight club was great. the book ending is different than the movie, too.

i agree, they do write the best novels. Bret Easton Ellis’s American Psycho is gruesome but also one of the funniest dark satires I’ve ever read.

The assumption is that you can learn to to swan dive into a cesspool.

Maybe that’s true happiness? It makes sense to me at least.

I dig your new avatar too; it’s pretty cool. :sunglasses:

Is this supposed to be a comeback? There is no happiness, so I do not have to fear this “wallowing in filth”.

I’m a nihilist because I tell the truth?

May I note the absence of Truth? :slight_smile:
You can argue all you want with a child, it is not due to the lack of rationale in the argument or his lack of understanding of language but rather to his lack of understanding of principle. I suggest you restudy objective and subjective truth in relation to the human mind. Why declare your belief as truth on an entire forum filled with people behind their computers? I’d say depression and a lack of identity in the real world. Are you 13? Just my opinion though :slight_smile:
It would also be a good idea to base your entire view of life on more than ONE book that says the world is shit :laughing:

I’d say in your case weakness and denial. Yes it is truth, the entire human race has always known nothing is worth it in life, just pretended to in some attempt to skave off pain.

That’s correct, in fact, you embrace wallowing in the filth, because you are a Nihilist.

No, you’re a Nihilist due to how you react to the truth. Except Nihilists have a nasty tendency to want to pull other philosopher’s/philosophies down with them. Not all of them do this; just some, and it’s pathetic in my opinion. Just because you find some kind of twisted meaning in your own misery and despair, doesn’t mean anybody else, at all, gives a damn about it.

You may as well say nothing, ever, to anyone, and nobody will ever care when they come to understand the Nihilist completely, as you represent them.

Guess what though… that reaction by some Nihilists usually (almost never even) has to do with philosophical ideology–it has to do with personal upbringing. It has to do with how you socially fit into society as a person. Obviously Nihilists have different backgrounds, but yours displays by appearance that you lack a great deal of attention. It’s not a philsophical issue on your part. It’s a social one.

So I guess what I’m doing here is just challenging you philosophically. Do you have what it takes to back up your metaphysical beliefs and philosphical ideologies?

No, I don’t embrace anything actually, other than reality, in which I have no choice. I think you are more nihilist than me for simply believing in “happiness” when it clearly doesn’t exist.

If that is what I do…what the hell does your philosophies mean? I think those sentences are actually referring to yourself. You react to the truth with fear. Fear of what?

Because I hate you all. That’s why I come here. It’s also to prove you don’t need to lie to live.

Lack of attention to what? The reason you talk the way you do is because of your upbringing and how you fit into society as a person. What unrealness! The issue is that you think you need to lie to live, whereas I know you don’t.

You are just trying to annoy me, so that if you beat me, it is me leaving out of frustration to convince you of something you already know. That way, you can in some twisted way convince yourself that actually happiness does exist by my leaving the topic.

What a tremendously intelligent and convincing plan you’ve got there!

I’ve already posted arguments to yours, why don’t you pull them out? Save me the trouble of being a broken record.

Only in the deepest nihilation of existence can one see things as they are not for what they should be idealistically.

“Intelligence blossoms when belief withers” - Cioran