5 Morcheeba

What criteria are we using?

At this moment…

1. Rasputina
  2. Pink Floyd
  3. Scissor Sisters
  4. Beatles
  5. Nightwish
  1. Dead or Alive( 2 songs make them the best band ever)
  2. Kai Tracid( i enjoy trance the most)
    3.Dead Kennedys( catchy punk, i listen to Oi! as well)
  3. Slayer( used to be a metal head when i was 13 :stuck_out_tongue:, slayer is my fav band overall)
  4. Daz Dillinger(west coast hip hop, catchy riffy tunes when you smoke)

but i dont idolize bands or anything, all of these artists have shit songs that iv listened to only once it’s more of a genre.i like to listen to a variety of music

Well, in that case:

1. Tenacious D
  2. Flight of the Conchords
  3. Led Zeppelin
  4. Rush
  5. Rush

There’s your answer, he isn’t a musician, therefore, no need to mention him. Glad he took himself out, purposeless waste of flesh.

1. Judas Priest
  2. Tony MacAlpine
  3. Vinnie Moore
  4. Marty Friedman
  5. George Lynch, Yngwie Malmsteen, Iron Maiden, Vivaldi, Grieg, Beethoven, Mozart (in that order)

Holy crap, my list wouldn’t look all that different ten years ago! :astonished: I still like all those bands but am more into classical nowadays.

…that’s cheating :confused:

LOL@Phaed … you’re always a card.

At this point, they are all “classical” … a virtually dead form of music, and nothing to replace it … of quality anyways.

I always listen to classical … even when it’s fused into more “modern” forms.

No it’s not, they are all #1 in my book … just how it goes. Sometimes the top spot just has a lot of company.

I like technicians and music scholars … they all fit the bill.

Fair enough :slight_smile:

I can totally relate to having many no. 1s!

Yngwie = overrated :-$

That statement is illogical- since any superlatives applied to Yngwie would be inadequate to describe his greatness, by definition it’s not possible to overrate him. :stuck_out_tongue:

A few of those old bands are still kickin’ around, and some are putting out better music than they did back in their supposed “prime.” Helloween is one such band, as is TNT (okay, the latter just broke up again, but their second to last was probably their finest). Regardless of which bands you like, you can probably admit that Masterplan, Magnitude 9, Starbreaker, etc would have fit right in back in the 80’s.

As much as I love the music of my youth (Metallica, Priest, Maiden, Slayer, Dio, 'Purple, 'Sabbath, Zep, etc) there’s a lot of great current music, too. I’m not a fan of the crap-metal/nu-metal/butt-metal of today, so I don’t listen to a lot of newer “heavy-metal-type” music unless it’s patterned upon vintage metal, but I like a lot of stuff in other genres. And I listen to some jazz, too.

My love of opera is something that materialized so gradually over the last decade that I can’t say at what point I began to consider myself a fan. Where I live there’s virtually no good FM radio available save Minnesota Public Radio. Since I’ve always loved classical I started listening to MPR in my car when pop music “died” in the early 90’s. At first, when opera came on I’d switch the station or turn it off; still later I’d turn it down. After a while I reasoned, hey, why bother- it’ll be done in 15 minutes. Eventually repeated exposure to it revealed something of the reasoning behind it, the structure. Although in all honesty it was probably Maria Calla that got me hooked, and Anna Netrebko finished what she started. =P~ :-({|=

Out of curiousity, which two sonds would that be? I think I have all their albums from Sophisticated Boom Boom up thru Nucleopatra

I cant believe none of you have listed Radiohead. And if you’ve never heard of them, you should seriously question you taste in music. Check em out.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Ay699qcSb4

If it’s performers only (as opposed to people who only wrote, or who I have never heard play)

1. Hendrix
  2. Coltrane
  3. Eminem
  4. Patty Larkin
  5. Pablo Casals
  1. John Coltrane and his world (i.e. McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, even Wayne Shorter…)
  2. Steely Dan (though I’d contend they’re more literary with a musical mask)
  3. Anything from Mali (Afel Bocoum, Ali Farke Toure, Toumani Diabate, Oumou Sangare, etc.)
  4. Pavement (even though I’ve only heard 2 or 3 of their albums and only own one, but I listen to Crooked Rain Crooken Rain constantly, and have for years)
  5. Various ‘downtempo’, ‘trip-hop’, ‘lounge’, or whatever that genre is called. (Zero 7, Morcheeba, etc.)

Just missed: Jimi Hendrix (but I don’t listen to him much anymore), Joe Henry, classical guitar (Segovia, etc.), ‘early music’ (the Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque periods of western music), Indian classical, 70’s rock, 90’s east coast hip-hop…

I love music. :smiley: