Victimhood

What makes a person into a victim?

You are driving down the road on a quite a peaceful night. You might be returning home after a night out with little thought except your bed and a long restful slumber. The traffic is light as you near your home with a few cars behind you. You come to a normal stop at the light, but the fellow behind you didn’t quite stop in time. You feel the sudden, terrible lurch as your car is struck. The light turns green, and your car got pushed into the intersection so you proceed slowly forward to find a better place to stop on the side of the road. The fellow who hit you follows but just as you pull to the side you see him keep going. You wait a moment but you know that you have just been the victim of a hit and run accident.

You have just met with a circumstance where you got to experience a moment of powerlessness. What can you do with that experience?

At any moment any one can become the victim of circumstance. The unexpected lies around every corner. Yet there is also a place beyond circumstance that we might call victimhood.

Vitcimhood has to do with perspective. A person who is in the midst of victimhood views his or her life thru the idea that he or she has no influence over it. “Nothing I do makes any difference.” This is the lament of the powerless. That idea colors everything that person sees. This helps them to find bountiful evidence that support their idea.

A change in circumstances will not help the person in victimhood. They have no faith in a better tomorrow. Any gain is seen as temporary and ephemeral.

What is required is a new idea, a new way to see life.

which is difficult at best because there is an entire political party that functions on the victimization of others…

but yes, your point about the victim mentality is correct…

there are too many people who get their power through “helping” victims by keeping them just below the line where they would no longer be victims…

-Imp

I think it stems from our relationship to one and other. If we saw ourselves as victims of ‘life’, then in a way it negates the victimization, but it also opens the door to responsibility.

If the person in a hit and run incident who is hit is not a victim, then the person who hit them, is not really responsibile. So I think in this way, it’s a law thing.

The nasty edge of positive discrimination.

Let me go out and run someone over then I’ll come back and report my findings. Unless some Nazi outback law enforcement agency intervenes…

An associated problem - ‘special needs’ students. We are simultaneously told (and I mean by the same authorities, not different authorities) that such students are ‘just the same as anyone else’ and ‘different to everyone else’ (hence the tag). Who knows what these kids might be capable of if only we’d stop burying them in jargon and contradiction?

Victimhood is the new comfortable suffering…“I have problems” “I have speicla needs” and “It’s not my fault I can’t spell”…

I have been ordained Dyslexic ever sense I was a child…I prefer the term stupidity…because it is much more sincere…

But we can already hear the shouts: “My Son has special needs” “My Son has learning difficulties” what a lot of bullshit!

Victimhood is almost actually a lower of SUFFERING - mediocre sufferance. We soften the language, we tread softly softly…we live in a time of too “RIGHTS” people even have the right to be “mediocre” to be “victims” to be “stupid”…Short of saying - “look son, your just not of a certian calibre” - we celebrate the mediocre!

Care not to climb up any higher, but say, look i am this low because i am, nothing more…

p.s. One day my posts will be much more coherent! im so slapdash! Dear, dear…

Being a victim is a state of mind. Sometimes people try to change this mind frame into something more empowering, for example rape victims referring to themselves as “survivors”. We all know this doesn’t change the fact that a person WAS totally powerless during the act of being raped, however, afterward they are able to take control of the situation by putting it in terms of survival. It’s like saying the glass is half full.

I think victimhood is synonymous with martyrdom. People who constantly engage in the victim mentality are bound to make a lot of excuses for why they can’t do this or that, and blame other people for their problems rather than themselves. It’s a maladaptive learned behaviour. Perhaps at some point in person’s life they realized that they could get away with under-performing by making excuses for their shortcomings.