Video Games are the new Vice

Video game sales were up in November from last year in spite of the recession. Usually in recessions traditional vices like booze, drugs, and prostitution sales increase, but in these times and in the last 8 years video game sales have spiked with economic down turns.

Is it a vice or is it a hobby?

A fine line, my friend, often a fine line.

Is the Internet a vice or a hobby?

We control our own addicitions and if we are addicted to something it is because we choose to be, so for something like the Internet or Video Games to become a vice for a person it is simply because that person chose to allow it to become a vice.

It ceases to be a vice when a person decides that they will no longer allow it to be a vice and take whatever necessary steps (including throwing away the devices, or selling them) are required in following up said decision.

Yes, nearly anything can become a vice. But how do we determine in this times of crisis that just because sales increase it must be a vice? Ramen noodles anyone? I’m kidding somewhat. I know how viceful videogames can be, but they’re not traditional vices like drugs typically automatically are.

if it doesn’t hold the piece upon which you are working, it isn’t a vice…

-Imp

well they are pretty cool, and it’s cheap entertainment and a good way for people to save money with each game having 20+ hours of entertainment value

Video-games are no more of a vice than 1 or 2% milk which can kill people/make them very fat because of high caloric intake/decent fat percentage, but if you use it responsibly no one needs to consider it anything but a personal choice.

Thats because video-game sales aren’t influenced directly by the over-all economy compared to variables and outcomes WITHIN gaming communities and companies like Sony and Microsoft.

The economy could have crashed ten times worse than what it did and video-game sales would have still sky-rocketed for these companies because of strategic marketing against each other and the strategic releases of games like metal gear solid4, deadspace, fable2, prince of persia, fallout 3, cod5, resistance 2.

These gaming sales wouldn’t go up like they do if it wasn’t for the sense of loyalty a lot of buyers have to their specific brands, the sense of distrust/hatred they have for the OTHER company (sony or microsoft or whatever) and the strategic releasing of new games, waited for (for years and years by the buyers) released near summer-time/christmas.

Its really has a lot to do with the companies envolved being a lot more prepared/intelligent in their selling schemes than anyone readily gives them credit for.

Meh, there’s already been a recession in the gaming / technology industry around the early 2000s, this one won’t hurt as bad cause most of the smaller companies have already folded or been bought (see: EA)

I think Cyrene hit the nail on the head there too.

moderation!!

I know the original post didn’t attack video games as such, and was just an observation about sales, but I wanna say that the argument that video games are responsible for social problems is total BS. I assert that the vast majority of gamers don’t go out and commit crimes afterwards, and that the minority who do are the sort of the person who would’ve committed them anyway!

The moralisers who attack video games would love them to be the problem. That way, they would’ve turned deep and complex social problems into simple ones, with simple remedies (namely a degree of prohibition).

Video games are simply another form of entertainment. It’s better than TV. The user can interact more with the content, unlike TV or some movies, where the characters do stupid stuff and you just get annoyed. I don’t think they can be addictive though. Some may feel compelled to do it often, but that applies to a lot of things.

For me it’s a good mental exercise. There are some intellectually challenging games out there. I would go as far as saying that it helps improve my job-related skills, like planning and reactive thinking. But then again it’s a matter of what games you play.