"War Toys"

i agree with both of you that the impracticality of a theory does not diminish its content. the difference in this case with this theory from, say, quantumn mechancis, is that there is suffient empirical evidence to prove that it most likely works, even if it cannot be proven beyond a doubt.

the same goes for cold nuclear fusion. we will get to this point because considerable effort is invested in making this work. if this work does not produce the expected results, the theory will likely be altered or dropped.

unless you are suggesting that society should enforce considerable effort in making an aulturistic world (which you aren’t) the fact plainly is that in a liberal society this change will not occur. while this does not stop people from holding this theory, and it shouldn’t (i think, Johan, that your belief set is very nobel) but i would question the aspect that seeks to convert the world to this theory. if it the theory on living works for you, why extend it to an independent third party? although i understand that living in a truly aulturistic/holistic world will greatly assist in carrying out your belief set, for the absorbption of a universal theory to occur i would need a stronger reason. personally.
johan, if its any consolation, i’m sure your genes will conquere mine any day. :smiley:

Trix wrote-

I think it would be very difficult to “force” people into living altruistically. Now that you’ve got me thinking about it, probably impossible. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. I think this phrase wraps up the reasons why the theory is “unforceable”. People need to choose to act altruistcally, and this choice cannot be forced, no matter how hard one tries.

The only way the theory would manifest itself would be if every human at the same moment realized that they want no more of what terrible things this world has to offer. Unfortunately everyone realizes this at separate times (if ever) which creates a sort of repeating cycle.

I agree with Trix on commending what a noble pursuit Johan has undertook. I don’t know if I should live my life for the rest of the world. I actually had my father tell me once “You know Matt, you’re not Jesus.” He was worried about me being too nice and being hurt as a result. I still laugh my ass off everytime I think about it.