was Jesus black?

you’ve got to see this site, what a bunch of ****ers, they never even gave him a chance to speak

landoverbaptist.org/news0302/blackjesus.html

i dont know the facts but i’d be lying if i said i thought he was white

and you’ve got to see some of the **** on this forum

voy.com/10734/

this is why i hate christianity/stupid americans

landoverbaptist.org/news0102/phoneoffer.html

i really can’t judge if this site is a piss take, i think it’s actually serious

you’ve got to wonder about a christianity site that has an advertisement on it that says “Support the NRA”

it gets better
landoverbaptist.org/news1100 … ation.html

i really dont understand this site
cafeshops.com/landoverbaptist

now i’m pretty sure it aint serious

landoverbaptist.org/staff/

landover baptist is a hoax.

thank bugger for that

funny site though

bettybowers.com/protests.html

that first pictures brilliant

Hey, I’m a stupid American! And I used to pretend to be a Christian(R). I don’t go round saying that I hate intelligent British (I assume you’re British from your choice of bugger as a swearword).

But seriously, I know what you mean. Damn fundamentalists get everywhere. Here’s a good example:http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mr.hill/belief.html. It certainly puts my existential nihilism in perspective. Not quite sure what they mean by Jesus’ ‘perfect manhood’…:laughing:

Jesus was a jew. How many black jews do you know of?

Thousands.

jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso … jhist.html

Do you think Jews only live in Europe and America? Before the Jewish people were exiled from Judea in 70 CE, they all came from the Middle East region and so were all dark skinned. Jesus would have looked like an Arab.

Also, in the pictures that Ethiopian Christians hang in their churches, Jesus is drawn as a black man.

• ben

I think Ben is right, but wether he was or not the question is does it matter?

They had a special on the discovery channel on “what did jesus look like” very interesting, the typical drawing is not anything like what he would have looked like, if you look at history, the majority of people in the area were dark skinned. and the male jews at the time wore there hair short, and their beards short, not long on either account as is depicted in every picture of christ available.

1 cor 11
7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. (NIV)

1 Cor 11
14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, (NIV)

of course these two verses bring up other points of interest for another thread :wink:

Doesnt that quote simply put you in the same boat as the rest of the hate mongering people? Fight ignorance with knowledge, not half cocked over generalizations.

Anyways, it is fake…the site that is. Its unbelievably sad that some people really do think this way.

Rather jesus was black,white, yellow, green or multicolored how does this alter the message?

In response to the original question: “Who cares?”

Landover Baptist Church has got to be some bad joke. It’s sarcasm, right?

I once had a dream about Jesus. It was really odd. I am not religious at all nor did the dream seem to be about religion.

I dreamt that Jesus was this huge, built, muscular dark skinned man. Yet he practiced and promoted only peace. He spoke in a gentle, calming voice and had this great aura of peace, once you got over how intimidating he looked. He had the appearance of a mighty warrior, but strictly avoided all forms of violence. His fighter-like body was part of what frightened the religious authorities of his time. They were afraid that if he did ever decided to lead a rebellion that his appears would draw other warriors under his banner. Unlike the frail depictions of Jesus he was a robust man of great physical strength.

This post just reminded me of that dream.

scythekain,
I also saw the Discovery Channel special on the appearance of Jesus and I think of it as more of a joke. How can they be showing us the “real face of Jesus” by just mixing the appearances of hundreds of skulls of the time? Everybody has their own prominent characteristics that are important to their unique appearance.

There was a Roman called Josephus who wrote about the appearance of Jesus. The link here (http://www.thenazareneway.com/likeness_of_our_saviour.htm) seems to be true to the original, but since it’s in the Internet it’s best to be careful…

Crafedog,
I really was considering to not write anything in this discussion since you are portraying yourself as being arrogant and ignorant…

yes but I believe the general look is more accurate than the one portrayed in paintings.

rafhdl-

Regarding Pontius Pilate:

I thought Pilate was generally known as a proud man. That letter rings of surrender and inferiority, not something I would envision a Roman leader writing about someone who was committing a very serious crime: treason.

Sincerely,

Floyd

Well, of course, Ben, I see your point.

However, I think you’ll agree with me that there is (regardless of what you have said) a clear ethnic differnce between those whom most people would agree are black (a typical Nigerian, Kenyan or Zambian) and a typical Jew, (or for that matter, North Africans or those from Arab countries).

He would have been dark, yes. Whether or not that constuitutes ‘looking like an arab’, I’ll leave you to decide. I would suggest though that not all people of dark complexion look like Arabs…

I’m struggling to see the significance of this…it’s hardly forensic evidence, is it? Look back to the oft quoted passage from Xenophanes, writing several centuries before Christ. (It’s fragment 16, I just looked it up)…

‘The Ethiopians say taht their gods are snub-nosed and black, teh Thracians taht theirs have light blue eyes and red hair’.

Xenopheanes continues:

‘if horses had the physical capabilities, they would draw gods like horses and cattle like cattle’ (fr.15).

My point is this:

In ancient culture, where unless youo saw something for youorself, it would be difficult to have an idea of it, so teh imagination was left to run free for the artist trying to sketch Jesus’ or ‘god’ on his sketchpad.

It should be no surprise that teh EThiopian Jesus has evolved as a black man for this reason…

Hi gav,

I do indeed agree. I was merely pointing out that there are black Jews in the world; lots of them.

jmcponline.org/graphics/lemb … lemba1.jpg

Assuming you believe that the birth of Jesus was a natural one, he would have looked more or less like his contemporaries.

Starting with the assumption that Jesus resembled a typical peasant from 1st century CE Palestine, Richard Neave, a medical artist retired from the University of Manchester in England, and a team of researchers “started with an Israeli skull dating back to the 1st century. They then used computer programs, clay, simulated skin and their knowledge about the Jewish people of the time to determine the shape of the face, and color of eyes and skin.”

The result of which was this:

You are right, it was not meant as evidence it was merely an interesting(?) anecdote on how Jesus is portrayed in other cultures. Asian cultures also portray pictures of Jesus as Asian. As you say, a horse would portray its god as a horse. It has absolutely no bearing on whether Jesus was black or not, however it does imply that the western tradition of portraying Jesus as an Aryan is not necessarily authoratitive either.

cheers

• ben

One must note that most of Arabia and the Middle-East as we know it today was at one point just a blip on the Nubian Dynasty first, and then under the rule of Ethiopia. It is not far-fetched to think Jesus as black or dark-Middle-Eastern. It is highly unlikely that Jesus was white, in any event.