We Don't Know What We Don't Know!

We Don’t Know What We Don’t Know!

It appears to me that our family and our educational system determine to a large extent what our fundamental attitudes are throughout the rest of our life.

Our family and our schools instill so deeply our fundamental attitudes toward the basic comprehension we have about our self and our world that I become very despondent about any effort to modify those basic attitudes, in the adult population, within a society.

We do make significant progress occasionally—an example is the change in attitudes of the majority toward the minority in the last forty years in the US following the passage of the Civil Rights laws during the Johnson administration.

Another example is our change in attitude toward smoking in the last two to three decades.

The saying “we don’t know what we don’t know” haunts me. How can an adult learn “to know what they don’t know’? How can a colorblind adult comprehend ‘blue’?

most adults may have missed their chance, but this isnt a big concern. The “child of our time” is only an average, thankfully there is still enough vocal variety to stimulate change.

im not sure that this change is progress since obviously what we view as progress is determined by our time too. It seems for most folk the past will always appear to be a vast struggle to our current, more enlightened, moment.

Of course we don’t know what we don’t know… but that’s not to say that we can never know what we currently don’t know. We can come to learn things out of interest. Let’s say I want to call this really smokin’ girl…but I don’t know her phone number. Does that mean that I could never know it at all? Of course not…I could ask her for it, or look it up in the phone book.

Our familes, and schools definately shape the way we perceive the world…just like religion, peers, and the economy do…these are institutions of socialization…there is no disputing that. In fact, the study of sociology is very much concerned with it.

So I guess I don’t really see your question/problem…sure we are socialized from birth, and this process helps us to survive in our society, and to act in harmony with others…of course some people may question these values, such as social scientists, etc…and these people dedicate their time and energy to questioning the current workings of our world…asking the questions, “do the things that we do, really work?” and other such questions…so they study these problems scientifically and present others with the results…in this sense we are able to learn more once we hold an interest in learning more, and over time we can come to learn things that we once did not know…but we need to work at it.

But a colorblind or blind person can not comprehend blue…there is no a priori understanding of the color blue in our minds. The only way to attain an understanding of blueness is to experience it…much like the social scientists experience the world and learn from it. Thus, a blind person who can’t experience blueness, won’t come to know it.