What are you doing? (Part 1)

I see.

Well then, I think it’s safe to say Australia does have a winter season but not at the same time all the normal continents have their winter seasons. I suspect the southern tip of south America has the same problem, yes?

This can be solved but it would take billions or dollars. Atmospheric control systems can be designed which would synthesize artificial climates on certain regions of the earth. This manipulation of the environment could synchronize the seasons of these regions of the earth with the other regions.

It comes down to whether or not the Aussies want to do the right thing and follow the seasonal order everybody else follows… And stop trying to be non conformists.

They’ve been talking about this for a while now. It’s one of the great new United Nation One World Government projects. Its aim is to make everything the same everywhere in the name of fairness and equality – and who doesn’t want fairness and equality?

The southern hemisphere will change its seasons so that it gets hot in June and cold in January (weird) and the western hemisphere will change its time zone to align with China and Oz so that everyone experiences the same date and time as everyone else. It will mean you guys in the western hemisphere are going to have to call your days, nights and your nights, days and skip a day to get in line but after that, everything’s hunky dory. This will also have a tremendous impact on Global Warming/Global Cooling/Weather Change (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) so it must be good. :---)

The sticking point is getting the US to move from fahrenheit to centigrade like the rest of the world.

It was pretty good man. I mean…it was a bucket of fried chicken. I stopped there because I was probably high as a kite, and there’s something hilarious about having the munchies and eating something like a bucket of chicken. We ate at a bunch of restaurants. The KFC was one of many.

I think im ready to take that test… what is it, the miggs and briers type test or something like that. The one where you get the personality type. Now I want to be one of these intj types I keep reading good reviews about. So how do I do that? Is there a certain way I should answer the questions? How does an intj think so I’ll know how to answer.

Zoot wrote:

HA!

They are the least desirable.

humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

That’s it? That’s the Jung test everybody’s on about these days? 64 questions that are either hopelessly ambiguous or asking for the only obvious answer. Do you seek opportunity. Who doesnt seek opportunity. Who would not be looking for opportunity… and what exactly does “seek” mean here.

Look critically at any one question and you’ll see it break down into ambiguity.

You often contemplate the complexities of life.

Okay. What is a complexity of life? A kid struggling to operate a fry cooker at hardees is contemplating a complexity of life, right? Couldn’t he answer yes…just like an engineer or chemist?

Zoot those tests tell you about as much about a person as knowing their astrological sign. It’s retarded.

Here I just did one.

ENTJ
Extravert(34%) iNtuitive(28%) Thinking(6%) Judging(1%)
You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (34%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (28%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (6%)
You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

What could this bit of data possibly tell you about me? What of my actions would one be able to predict based on this? I’ve always thought that the fixation on this kind of thing is a bit silly, and sort of sad.

I’ve got a friend who teaches ski lessons in Colorado during their ski season, and then flies to Australia to do the same thing there.

Mr Reasonable wrote:

Quite a bit. :laughing:

Unless you want to PAY to be tested by a Behavioural analyst.

Don’t Listen to People, they Like Being Labeled! :smiley:

I also got ENTJ on Zoot’s test, but I’m no E, which they always get wrong… I was brought up at home and taught at school to be sociable and amiable… even when I didn’t want to be, so that’s a learnt behaviour rather than an inherent one, but I’ll go with the rest.

I’ve been doing these Typology tests since a teen at school, and always got either an INTJ or the occasional INTP.

Yeah but here’s one for ya. If one’s purpose is to determine one’s outcomes, and as it turns out they’re able to do so not be obsessing over the minutia and having to think about it, but instead they just intuitively know the answers, where does that leave us?

I could take the test again and get a different score. The questions are exactly as zoot described. Ambiguous to a fault. Another thing, it seems that a well rounded person who is both logical and artistic, and who both enjoys a party and likes to read alone in the library wouldn’t fit into the whole scheme. What do we do about that stuff?

Firstly, I have no clue as to the validity of the test, mainly because it is important to note that no test is “scientifically valid”.

I have taken it twice, once done professionally and the second time it was recommended because it will differ somewhat if you have experienced major changes in your life.

It is interesting to note and there are similarities I recognise but INTJ is certainly not one of the most desirable types to be.

You either accept the result or you don’t, if you wish to manipulate your answers, keep testing until you can consciously produce the desired type you want to be recognised as, but that is then like taking an IQ test with the answers already on hand. shrug

I know that my strongest sense is my sense of compassion… and how do i know this? Because in drama i am most deeply moved by tragedy. I suspect everyone is whether they know it or not. That sympathy for the protagonist that all humans have when they’re almost in tears by the end of the movie.

No other type of dramatic element affects us as profoundly as tragedy.

I can be so moved by a scene in a movie i’m almost brought to tears. that is what im talking about; when that chord is struck and you are swept away by the scene. No other kind of schema elicits such a rich pathogical feeling. Of the kinds of interests we have of other people, we are most interested and alarmed by another’s distress.

It sounds silly but try it. Watch some movies and note how you respond. What kinds of drama most affected you… and was it not of an empathetic or sympathetic form?

When the family finally reunites, or the lovers get married, or the kid with cancer beats the disease, or the soldier sacrifices himself for his platoon, or the county doesn’t take farmer Jim’s land after a long court battle, and so on.

In each theme bathos is selfless, willess and disinterested in the universal in the subjective form. The interest is totally submerged in the selfless contemplation of the universal form of tragedy by the subject. And it is here, ladies and gentlemen, that our story of morals begins.

To the extent that a moral interest can be good and objective, it must be that intuition of the pathos of tragedy that is expressed in our feeling of compassion and sympathy for others.

And note also: in any scenario in which the protagonist is opposed by an antagonist, we have to associate the antagonist with the villian archetype in order to make the pathos comprehensive. We insert the opportunity to be sympathetic by opposing our protagonist with a bad antagonist.

Do you have any idea how much the Greek moral psyche was shaped and structured by the plays? They were the ones who wrote the right plays to ‘bring them out’… those universally intuited senses of compassion and sympathy. Tragedy was always the most popular… and this is not incidental. It recognizes a collective existential awareness of love… or what one kind of love is, rather.

Real, aged cynicism becomes authentic when it is taken as an alternative attitude to the attitude of absolute defeat and loss of ambition to live. One can’t be a real cynic until they are past the age of 35. If they philosophize like a cynic their just mimicking cynical thinking… they don’t really know it or feel it yet.

So at the point where one either breaks and becomes a Christian or a cynic, one takes a leap across an abyss. If one makes it across, and becomes a cynic, they reallocate their will power, they don’t lose it. A cynic is someone who’s virility is too strong to be silenced by pessimism and quietism, so they become pessimists with a vengence, they actively express the absurd and defy the conventional in doing so. Think of diogenes. The nerve of that guy to ask Alexander the great to get out of his light. Alexander the great people. Not Alexander your neighbor or your cousin.

Was this deed just to be ultra ironic or did diogenes not knowingly commit such a metaphorically and allegorically profound act?

Was diogenes the one, truly authentic cynic? Did he motion Alexander to move aside because he had really wanted sunlight, or did he plan the moment to express such supreme irony?

Discuss.

Thank you. If I may, I’d like to start… Can you hear me at the back? Good.

Diogenes is just as attached to his poverty as Alexander was to his power. What one is attached to is irrelevant. It’s the attachment, the lust, the desire, the clinging to something that marks both extremists as fundamentally the same.

Diogenes may have renounced his physical assets but he kept his ego very well fed and comfortable. He was proud of his humility. Not only did he make a show of his renunciation by living in a barrel but he chose to live in the centre of Athens under the constant glare of admirers.

Diogenes’ ego was so strong that he went to extraordinary lengths to outdo his fellow Cynics. When he had the opportunity to accept or reject Alexander’s offer I bet he could here the gasps from the crowd… will he? wont he?.. tick, tick, tick… “Move. You are blocking my sunlight” SCORE!!! How proud he must have been.

This is why I prefer Eastern philosophy. Here you have to detach from everything – especially your ego. Once this is done, you can live in a mansion one night and a barrel the next. There’s no list of values to argue over or abide by. There’s no manufactured image to live up to. There’s no attempt to get people to admire or respect you so you are free of their judgments.

Diogenes saw Alexander was a slave to his will but failed to see that he, Diogenes, was a slave to his reason. The real renunciate - the Awakened ones – live in the moment, day by day and accept what is offered. The problem is that these truly free people are never remembered - which probably suits them down to the ground.

Yeah that’s middle path stuff iddinit? And on the fifth day the Buddha reflected thus: if I deny the earthy pleasures with as much dedication, commitment and resolve as I have when I indulge in them, what is the difference?

As the Buddha thought these things he came to know the middle path of moderation and was an acetic no more. Might be the one portrayed by he chinese. The fat, jolly rendition of the Buddha as opposed to the skimny Indian emo buddha.

I am in bed having a drink at 3pm on a friday…