what can be considered to exist?

while reading plato’s sophist is came to a part where his main charector said
that "those which are ammount to nothing more than capacity, or more or less anything which has the ability to be affected or affect something else can be considered to exist. a refutation of the claim that only that which has a body has being.

i consider this to be an argument to justify the belief in the mind as existant.
the mind is the conception i get from plato’s use of the word soul(as i try to leave my religous bias at philosophys front doormat)
the conception of the soul relates to the conception of the mind insofar as there both the source of human individuality when paired with the body but unimaginable without a body.

an after thought : is the mind dependent on the body for learning? i believe yes, how could i experiance anything without my body?

What is ‘something’? It seems to me that the definition is incomplete; ‘anything that can effect something in existence is in existence’ can’t apply to anything unless something else is already defined to exist.

You could experience your thoughts. I believe the mind can develop itself, but that the nature of learning and intellect is not completely known.

how many types of skill are there ? 2 mental / physical, theoretical/practical,
before and after action commences. actions last various lengths of time and incur varying degrees commiting effects.commiting effects being future long term plans of action. an action is more or less a decision in progress. the result of an action is getting something done. the progress of the action is where our potential or our capacity limits us. i’m not a fast runner but i’m not slow so to speak. the better people understand their limitations the more effective their action. how do we get to understand our limitations?through ex periance. no matter how long you ponder what something might be like, untill you’ve experianced that something for yourself, you can only imagine what it was like and wether what you thought turns out to be the way you wanted it is a matter of planning and execution. how do we attain good judgement or planning skills? broaden you’re knowledgebase. how do we attain ability? practice in conjunction with ever present potential. it may be a harsh reality for some but untill you do something you’ll never ‘know it’ of course the old saying goes easier said than done. human potential is so all pervading it infects(dirty word) our thoughts and our minds and our body and our life.
but it makes us unique, so is the tradeoff worth it? i think so, i think if we were all perfect everyone would bore the shit out of me.

I can vaguely see that a mind without experience would be limited according to your broad outline of learning; exactly how that limit would be qualified still seems to be widely unknown. But it seems to me that a total lack of experience would not preclude the capacity to learn, even though the full potential for learning would be reduced. Once we start talking about things that are before the awareness we have (a priori), we have no perspective to tie us down and therefore lose sizable common intellectual ground. However, this capacity to go so far into abstraction seems to me to be proof that we can think, learn, and be aware without outside experience.

in saying that would you agree that there are two vastly different types of learning steming from two vastly different types of experiances, theoretical knowledge being the product of one and practical knowledge being the product of the other?

what should we value more sucess or failure? pleasure or pain? knowing ones limitations is how we enable ourselves to make good decisions. knowing about our environment is what enables us to benefit from it.
ability arises in someone who has potential(limits)/knowledge(theory)/experiance(practice)/improvement(progress)
everyone starts with potential(genes), over time you gain knowledge of you’re environment and self through experiance resulting in improvement. you need both kinds of experiance to be effective in any expertise, both practical and theoretical.

6 replies 66 views . thought it was a bad oman had to change it.

i agree to a point but;

this abstraction without outside experience is very, very limited.

to truely think,learn and be aware we NEED to include the outside experience to complete our awareness,learning and thinking.

what can we learn without experiance? a book is a particular experiance, a movie is another, conversation is another , learning is an experiance. there are many particular experiances but experiance can only be percieved through the body. we can only experiance things in our perceptual range. what can i learn without my body? nothing; if you bash my brain in you change my mental capacity. therefore i can’t learn as easily. does this make me a different person? no, just a less intelligent one. now, without a physical brain to process my thought what can i learn? nothing. my body is the source of all my experiance via sense organs. my body relays images, sounds, smells, tastes,and physical feelings to the mind(brain). after experiancing sensation or perceptions or a combonation of them the mind formulates beliefs about these sensations and perceptions. the mind has core universal beliefs, beliefs all humans have,about core universal needs (air,water,food,sleep,waste,hopefully hygiene) as these are essential to survival, bar the last, they become second nature, unconcious(yet controllable)for breathing. once we move past survival instincts, humans develop a great diversity, uniqueness, or variety in abilityand choice. we’re all confined in our environment with varying capacities for progress. i assume here that i’m an man, on earth, amongst many others. we all live, we all love,we all hate, we all die. the specifics are up to you. some people aspire for greater things, they have to work harder. what makes humans aspire at all? our beliefs. where do we get our beliefs from? our experiance, our world. can you have knowledge without belief? can you have experiance without a body in a world?can the mind percieve without the body? the mind is completely dependent on the body for any experiance. the mind can only percieve the environment in its perceptual range so its dependent on the body for perception. if you know of a way where you can experiance something without the body please explain. i really appreciate any criticizm.

what can we learn without experiance? a book is a particular experiance, a movie is another, conversation is another , learning is an experiance. there are many particular experiances but experiance can only be percieved through the body. we can only experiance things in our perceptual range. what can i learn without my body? nothing; if you bash my brain in you change my mental capacity. therefore i can’t learn as easily. does this make me a different person? no, just a less intelligent one. now, without a physical brain to process my thought what can i learn? nothing. my body is the source of all my experiance via sense organs. my body relays images, sounds, smells, tastes,and physical feelings to the mind(brain). after experiancing sensation or perceptions or a combonation of them the mind formulates beliefs about these sensations and perceptions. the mind has core universal beliefs, beliefs all humans have,about core universal needs (air,water,food,sleep,waste,hopefully hygiene) as these are essential to survival, bar the last, they become second nature, unconcious(yet controllable)for breathing. once we move past survival instincts, humans develop a great diversity, uniqueness, or variety in abilityand choice. we’re all confined in our environment with varying capacities for progress. i assume here that i’m an man, on earth, amongst many others. we all live, we all love,we all hate, we all die. the specifics are up to you. some people aspire for greater things, they have to work harder. what makes humans aspire at all? our beliefs. where do we get our beliefs from? our experiance, our world. can you have knowledge without belief? can you have experiance without a body in a world?can the mind percieve without the body? the mind is completely dependent on the body for any experiance. the mind can only percieve the environment in its perceptual range so its dependent on the body for perception. if you know of a way where you can experiance something without the body please explain. i really appreciate any criticizm.