What if the Messiah showed up nowadays..

Jesus was seen as such as were most of these people, Socrates and such vagrants…

Jesus would scare the shit out of people.

With his miracles?
He would end up on talkshows if he wasn’t careful.

Sorry. Remember Uri Geller and his miraculous magic deeds? Later on he was exposed as a fake. People are too skeptical now days, when fact and fiction are daily conflated
Besides, who has not seen the myriad fake jesuses, in white robes, carrying oversized crosses, placards earn g the world’s end?

Besides, he wouldn’t be that dumb this time around, having hopefully learned his lesson.Otherwise, instead of being proclaimed a messiah, he would be dis missed as another fool, even amid exhibitions of convincing miracles.

You mean like a miracle of blocking out the sun with an unexpected eclipse or making all people hover in the air simultaneously? I don’t think that he will go small again. Witnessing his abilities is going to be shocking and undeniable. A planet-wide earthquake might be fun.

In ‘The Brothers Karamazov’ Dostoevsky tells a story about a time when Christ returned during the Inquisition. It’s an awesome piece of literature that articulates the debate between the materialist and religious, human nature and freedom; a battle that was raging in Russia during the latter part of the 19th century.

THE SCENE: The book (The Brothers Karamazov) revolves around three brothers. The eldest is a no-hoper/loser (he’s not in this scene). The second brother is an intellectual and hardcore atheist and the third, youngest brother is a kind, loving and deeply religious young man who joins a monastery.

In this part of the book, the atheist brother is reciting a tale/poem to his novice monk brother. The story is about Jesus’ return to Earth (Spain) during the Inquisition: Jesus performs miracles, the people recognize him and flock around him but the Church authorities arrest him and sentence him to be burned alive the following day.

The video (below) begins when The Grand Inquisitor visits Jesus in his prison cell and tells Jesus that people urgently need material care, not supernatural promises. The Grand Inquisitor tells Jesus that the Church as taken up the good works he left undone and now he, Jesus, is no longer needed. Moreover, his return would interfere with the Church’s work so he must be put to death (again). In the last minutes of the story, Jesus responds and The Grand Inquisitor breaks.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om6HcUUa8DI[/youtube]

Perhaps, Perhaps. Things can only go on like this for a while, before some very unusual corrections (miracles?) to occur.

If God was real and I was wrong as an atheist (highly doubtful) the first thing I would ask is why such an entity has abandoned the world to constant devastation. In a particular misotheist fashion next I would call upon God’s execution for crimes against humanity itself.

Of course God isn’t real where all of this is just masturbatory imaginary fantasy but amusing nonetheless.

Um, what about David Koresh or L Ron Hubbard??