What is fun and why?

What do you enjoy doing and why?

Me… music, videogames, art, reading, sports, movies/t.v. cars, chess… a few others.

Music, videogames, sports and art to a lesser extent because they are relaxing in the sense that they reduce built up excitement. They can keep most if not all of my senses occupied and the demand on my brain is challenging in a way that is enjoyable.

Reading, movies/t.v. videogames, and art to some extent because they can teach me new things. The entertainment comes from knowing something useful or conversational. All these mediums open up new avenues for discussion that is more complex than sports banter which generally bores me.

Cars, art, music because the aspect of creating fascinates me. In a similar way to that the above grouping captures conversation in novel ways these capture my imagination in novel ways.

Chess, sports, videogames because the competition is a demonstration of my improvements and flaws. The feeling of winning is good in itself but at some level the learning process is even more entertaining.

What the hell was I thinking? Why didn’t i include sex?

Or equally as attractive… food

Fun is activity experienced firmly in the present; fun largely nullifies our experience of time, giving it ‘wings’ so to speak

Misery and sadness do precisely the opposite

I determine if something is fun, and therefore good, if it maintains or increases my dopamine levels - one could say that I am addicted to the chemical, as I deter from doing anything that compromises those levels… hedonism perhaps? :confusion-shrug:

First… How would you know that unless you had a constant scan of your brain?

Second… That is the machine that causes fun not why those things are fun. Why do those things increase your dopamine levels is the question? Fun is not a biological necessity and there is no survival benefit for doing things like reading harry potter.

The question is what emotions do you feel and thoughts do you think when you are anticipating, engaging in or completing something that you feel is fun?

“What is fun.” in it’s entirety.

](*,)

Why? Don’t tell me you disaprove of this question. This is a topic that has absolutely no research to back up any philosophical claims. I’ve looked through the damn journals to find answers but there are none. If we understand this it could offer huge potential. I come here to get a simple survey of ideas expecting some insight from a ‘philosophy’ forum and I get shit like ](*,) ? Why?

This is more frustrating for me than it is for you buddy.

Just a few thoughts off-hand…

Something is different between ‘fun’ and ‘funny’?

Chess is fun (for some), but not funny. Comedy is funny.

Something is different between ‘fun’ and ‘pleasure’?

Sex is fun?

Morphine is fun?

Maybe I ‘like’ to play chess, but is it ‘fun’ for me? It is more like painful, racking the brain, and counting counting counting out different possible future moves.

Something to do with engagement with the world. The need to keep ‘moving’; chess like sex satisfies some requirement of the mind to continually ‘eat’ the world.

Doing nothing is not fun.

But it might be nice at the end of a busy day.

Fun is something like this ‘moving’ with the least amount of pain; a slave moves but does not (I would think) have fun picking cocoa.

Yes there are, I had a couple but I lost my usb stick (without reading more than a couple of pages) :frowning:.

From what I remember, Vijay uses an important distinction, that is the one between ‘fun’ and ‘pleasure’. I can’t remember exactly what they were arguing, but it was more psycho-analytic than philosophical and they were making an argument where the definitions of the word were arrived at based on how the brain responded to different stimuli (actually, if I remember correctly, they started with ‘fun’ as a concept defined by activity, then identified fun, then saw some ‘weren’t’). Unfortunately I cannot remember where I found this, which is really annoying.

Anyway, it’s important to define the word in some way before asking questions of it, although the two processes are inevitably linked. As it stands, the word is used too loosely in the English language for the brute concept to be meaningful.

The version I’ve heard before goes along the lines that periods of ‘fun’ can exist only briefly and are essentially non-intellectual (that is distinct from the ‘pleasure’ of playing chess) and distinct from satisfaction (of, say, winning a game).

What journal and where did you look for them? I’ve been searching for a while now.

The definition is supposedly subjective. Usually people describe fun in terms of events which then is based on a what internal reinforcers someone finds valuable. But I never got so far as to understand why those internal reinforcers are valuable. Plus this isn’t a definitive way of measuring it. I’m just asking what the activities are and at best a brief bit of insight.

I don’t get this forum. This is the only place I’ve had people condescendingly scoff at topics.

Our brains are to lead us to live in this complicated world.When all our desires are satisfied,our brain can’t cease to be inactive,except when sleeping,so our brain must doing something to keep it active.Enjoying music,playing cards or doing other funny things are just for keeping our brain active. Maybe this is one of the differences between animal life and plant life.it seems any animal with a brain need to have fun.

Cba; Sorry but I can’t remember. My only guess (from the modules I was studying at university when I searched for it) is that I found it either searching for Nietzsche or philosophy of human nature, if anything else occurs I’ll say.

However, I do know where I found them; on JSTOR, I suggest you look there. However, considering how many journals are on there it may not help much.

I get what you are saying and kinda agree. I don’t know if fun is subjective or not, but I think that through common use I think it has been made more subjective as opposed to an analysable concept, or possibly a neurochemical ‘event’. Whether what you’re left with when you analyse this… well, I don’t know if it is particularly meaningful.

What do you mean by that last line?

Topics that people have no interest in on other forums usually get no attention. Here I get bad attention from topics that people don’t care about.

But yeah I’ll check jstor. I could search through it for a bit see what I come up with. It’s a starting point anyway. I really appreciate that actually so thanks.

I beg to differ [-X

We are aware of elation or depression within our own psyche…

…anything that causes us elation.

fun is what makes you feel good, what else?

We are unaware of the mechanics of it though. We are unaware of the mechanics of memory also and we know when we remember something. We had to device electronic tests to distinguish between short term memory and long term memory and unconscious tendencies and conscious tendencies. There is a lot we are “aware” of that we aren’t really aware of.

My question is why does it cause elation to you. What activities cause elation to you and why do they cause elation. Things aren’t supposed to be pleasing unless there is a reinforcer. Reinforcers are rewards. You don’t do thinks that you find self detrimental unless you find some personal gain in doing those self detrimental activities. Most reinforcers are internal. If you google reinforcer you’ll probably end up at the wikipedia article. There is a section called secondary reinforcers. That is what I’m asking about. What secondary reinforcers do you find pleasurable? Can you describe the personal value of those secondary reinforcers? Why do you engage in activities that hold no tangible rewards? What do you find rewarding about the things that you find pleasurable? Is that a better way of putting it?

I wanted to get technical but I didn’t think anyone would follow me. Apparently no one has so there is the technicality of it.

I find being with my family fun even when there are problems. why? Because I love them and they distract me.

I find working fun Why? it distracts me and I learn

I find creating my art fun, Why? Same as above

You see fun and funny distract you from the rigors of life. It is like a mini vacation for the mind. It gives it a chance to do nothing and just relax. If we never had fun, I do believe suicide rates would skyrocket.
Fun allows us to face the gravity of life with a rested mind and a different perspective. A tired mind is a weak mind, it will want to quit.

Yeah I’m with you on that. Do you think there are other variants of fun or is it a one dimensional activity? I mean you only find vacation like activities fun or are there other things? Do you find sports fun or competitive activities? What about things that are challenging?

Sex is just biological necessity,not fun,even animal and plant have sex and food.Fun must be connected with a big brain and emotion.
If one is closed in a dark room,a little light will be fun for him.If one lives in a place for very long ,go to a different place maybe fun for him.this is why people like travel,travel is fun indeed.
Maybe the essence of life is for fun.only human life evolved to that state of life, so we have much more fun than any other life.

Sports, not so much, I work physically so sports are hardly entertaining. Competitiveness is fun though. it challenges and distracts. it is a good form of relaxing. Any sort of challenge that I face is fun eventually it might not be at the time but, afterwards I can look back and enjoy the situation.

I think for each person there will be differences in the dimensions of fun. I hate okra, but others love it. I hate watching sports but, others enjoy it. And the levels there in vary. It all depends upon how we are raised and our bodies. So , I would say since there are so many different cultures and sub cultures within cultures and sub sub cultures and so many types of humans, Shape size etc… that yes there would be more than one dimension and varients… heck some people find pain fun…and get this, they had never been abused. So…What is fun and Why will be similar or wildy different. It would be rare to stand next to someone who enjoys things as you do, thanks to breeding and culture.

A close knit culture that does not breed from outside sources is probably the one exception to that .