What is the purpose of your life?

I hope everyone is doing well. I came to this site a few years ago. Basically, a brief background of me is that, in 2006 or so I lost my Catholic faith. I then came to believe that there was no purpose to life since there is no afterlife for humans. This was pretty devestating and led to a period of depression. I began to read philosophy a lot and got REALLY into Nietzsche and his ideas.

I also used to love politics and thought about being a politician, except I would like to be the dictator type who had total control rather than some stooge for a big corporation. Anyways, for a few years I was in a rut and thought that life had no purpose. Learning about Nietzsche’s depressing life really didn’t help my cause either, nor did reading Camus or Sartre.

Anyways, now at age 27, I think I have found the purpose to my own life. Now, I know that this will sound bad, but the purpose of my life is to create comfort for myself. There is a limit to the amount of things I can control in life and worrying about existential issues is a thing of the past for me.

So, now my life is dedicated to my own comfort. I never really thought I’d turn out this way. I’ve never been the selfish type and I really enjoy helping other people (so long as I like them). I think it is VERY distasteful for one to talk about oneself in the company of others. I am always the guy asking other people questions about themselves, and this is why, I think, that almost everyone I know likes me. If you want to gain favor with others, allow them to speak of themselves. They’ll love it.

I figure that I have a good fifty years left before I am old (if I’m fortunate). In that time, I want to be as comfortable as possible. I created a travel list and want to go to about 50 countries. I have been to 8 thus far. I am going to travel to Europe in February and stay for 8 weeks. This will be a great, well deserved vacation. I can’t wait.

I’m not huge on money or material things. I’d rather make 50K and have no stress than make 100K with a ton of stress. To that end, I’ve begun seeking employment with the federal government. My current occupation is a type of sales, and it’s stressful and the recession has crippled it. I want a steady job, with great benefits, that I can coast through life on.

I hope I don’t sound like a total piece of crap, with my new philosophy. It’s very unlike me. But I think it’s a very realistic goal. Also, I’ve spent a year or so analyzing the pros and cons of having kids. I am unmarried, and have decided that I don’t want to have kids.

The first reason for not wanting kids is the unbelievable amount of work, stress and money they consume. The rewards for such an endeavor are unknown. At least half of people, in my estimate, don’t get a long well with their parents. Many don’t even speak with their parents. What is the point of procreating? I don’t get it.

So I don’t want kids. I don’t want to sound like a total selfish, piece of crap. I’m not. If I’m 40 and very comfortable financially (I don’t care about being rich) with no dependents (I want to get married, but not until I’m older) I will gladly donate some of my money to a good charity or to help someone else out.

I’m excited about my new life purpose. What is the purpose to your life?

Is that a rhetorical question? :-"

Let it be whatever you want it to be.

not a bad goal OP

GREAT. Tell us more. You have a good story.

Hmmm, I wish I had more to tell. The existential crisis I had was pretty intense for a long time. So my plan is to hopefully get a gov’t job this summer, work that for about 40 years, retire, keep travelling all the way through and give some money to charity and try to help others, so I don’t feel like a complete narcissistic piece of poop.

If you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them. Like I said, though, I find it very distasteful for one to speak of oneself. :slight_smile:

You are an interesting person. I will have some good questions for you.

free------------what are you doing today

It seems this is a stage certain types come to. You yourself are the one who bestows value onto the world so why not let your world be full of the things you consider valuable even if a few may pull their face and call you selfish but one must value oneself and to do this it seems one must indulge oneself. All I’d say is stop feeling quilty about appearing narcisstic or from feeling like a piece of crap, selfishness is not all that bad especially if you haven’t yet fucked up and have dependants dragging you down.

Although I do have a little contempt for comfort. Fat slobs who sit on their arse playing in cyber-space are comfortable - is that scenario an aspiration?

Sitting in the office, surfing the Net, waiting for my company to give me my end of the year bonus, so I can finally get to planning this Europe trip.

For me, yes, except for the fat part. I love to stay awake at night and watch videos on You Tube re: the Vietnam War.

I only wish I could sleep later, so I could be more comfortable the mornings after.

So, through your time with Nietzsche you’ve settled upon his Last Man as a worthwhile way of life?

It would appear so. I’d love to be an ubermensch, but I don’t think I’ve got what it takes :slight_smile:

bluff-------i love comfort. why don’t you attack me. comfort, that is real sin

Surely it’d be best to find out. Fuck comfort and conformity!

:laughing:

Hence the name? A cosy little shell to tuck your head back into. Oh well, you’re one amongst many and your numbers make my ideas all the more unique. I say continue! And I’ll reap the benefits.

Bluff,

How would one go about becoming an ubermensch? Do you plan to try?

FreeSpirit99, does it make sense to say the purpose of your life is to create comfort for yourself? Creating comfort is a kind of default position, no? Any and all purpose in life is diametrically opposed to the default position of constantly looking to create comfort for oneself. One’s own comfort becomes secondary, whenever one lives with purpose.

bluff-----you are truly wonderful

I don’t know what the ubermensch is. But I know what the last man is and he revolts me so I run the other way.

I’ll take that as a compliment.