What Of Your Essence?

You would have them even if personality was stable.

If your talking about psychologically, then habits of mind and certain biological functions maintains what appears, to us, as slowly changing.

Then he is correct in saying that each person has an essence.

Mongoose defines essence as an inner core that is “unchanging” whereas habits of mind and biological functions are changing and my position is that there is no such thing as an “unchanging” inner core (no such thing exists).

Is it unreasonable for me to ask Mongoose to clarify the second line in his response to me believing that no such unchanging inner core exists

Since you desperately need my attention, two lines for one. If you ever come to know yourself, you will know your essence.

An unchanging inner core doesn’t exist and even if it did there is no universal agreement as to what it is and what it isn’t.

Yeah, I get that. My car has more rust today than it had yesterday. More or less, it’s basically the same as it was yesterday.
Once the power steering hose ruptured and it had to be replaced. When it was fixed, I didn’t get a different car back from the mechanics. It was still the same car but with a new power steering line.

I know someone who had both hip joints replaced.

You know what I mean?

It’s possible that someone changes completely in one day but that’s not the norm.

Essences arent always cores.

factamatter externality is equally as crucial.

Oxygen to man is essential.

Essence is a deeply metaphysical concept. Mostly horse shit.
“The essence of the thing” is just a fancy name for “the thing”.

But an actual things tends to have several, if not downright multiple essences.

Dark and a loner, passionate with the right lady I imagine.

FC wrote

Disregarding the physical (indulge me), what makes you You? Who said it has to be one? However, an essence does have to be unchanging which lends it to being identifiable.

Arty,

What do you mean by dark? Loner as in you don’t need lots of company, just the right company? Passionate how?

I chose ancient and generous.

Ancient in my ways, in my knowing, in my willfulness.
Generous in that nothing stops me from giving of myself. I would give you the shirt off my back, my smile, my best wishes, my trust, hugs, guidance, everything I have available to help you be you. On a spiritual level, giving of myself is my oxygen.

Some things change slowly and some things change rapidly relative to our own perceptions of time but nevertheless they change and hence lack an unchanging inner core (I don’t dispute a changing inner core).

Mongoose, please explain why this is the case as you already have several people on this thread that question this.

Think of this in terms of your genetics, DNA. As your lifetime has passed has your genetic makeup slowly changed? What are you now? I’m really trying to bring this down to earth.

Every cells in my body has probably been replaced with new cells and I have completely different DNA that I had when I was born (even if it organised in a similar manner).

Cells have remained cells though? You are still human?

I am a changing human that started as a single cell.
image.jpeg