whisper in the ear

Is it ethical to whisper in the ear?

Definitely in line with recent threads.

In all contexts, hmm. I feel sort of cornered.

In terms of social etiquette… not in immediate company no - funnily enough I have been complaining to a friend about people staring, which is considered bad etiquette in the Caribbean and some other places, but I guess such bad etiquette is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

I got the impression that the OP was more about the subtle attempt to sway someone’s opinion, figuratively whispering in their ear, as opposed to literally whispering in someone’s ear.

I could be wrong.

Yes that is what I meant, you got it right.

So you are questioning whether it is ethical to clue someone in on your opinion?
How could that be unethical?? :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

So that he cuts the throat of another, or doesn’t that fall into the area of ethics?

Well, back to the original question;

Are you talking about whispering behind someone’s back, as in secretly whispering?
Or are you talking about dropping a hint to someone, not secretly?

I am talking about whispering behind someone’s back to get him into trouble, to get the him sacked or whatever. Going to the boss and telling the boss"the customers are are complaining about Joe Bloggs", when it is not true. And so, Joe Bloggs gets the boot. Is this ethical?

So you are asking if it is good for society to lie about other people.
Ummm… let me think…
…I can figure this one out… give me a sec…
…ummm…

I think that I would say that it depends on the type of society you maintain.

If your society is satanic wherein chaos and confusion keep the underclass in control, then whatever inspires more deception, confusion, and hardship would be good for that society. In Christianity, that is called “eternal Hell” because it is quite self-supporting as long as new people are being born into it.

On the other hand, if your society is the the more friendly type wherein the people do not necessarily have to suffer all of their lives, then deception, confusion, and hardships are not good for that type. And those people don’t need replacing nearly as often.

But now if I were to state what type of society that you currently live in, a problem would arise;
A) Am I participating in the truth ethics society and thus stating the truth?
B) Am I participating in the deception, confusion, and hardship ethics society and thus lying?
C) Am I just going against the ethical grain?

In all places I have worked this is common practice. It is the way incompetent people get rid off competent people, it is the way people who are holding to their jobs for dear life befriend their bosses and safeguard their posts from what they perceive a threats even though they are not. If these practices are not ethical and such behaviour is penalised in some manner how do these incompetent people survive?

Of course it is unethical, but such back-stabbings are common occurrences in the work place… people hate being out-shone by others, so will do whatever it takes to dull that light.

Such incompetent people survive because the bosses know that such people are easily manipulated into doing their bidding - I once worked for a print company who wanted me to lie to our clients, and they fired me when I refused, but my temping agency landed me a new gig for much more dough within a week so I wasn’t cut up about it too much :wink:
They tried to persuade me to come back by holding onto my wages, but I found their client-facing methods unapprehensible.

That kind of answers which kind of society you are living in, doesn’t it.

Those people end up surviving when “ethically” they shouldn’t… if it were not a satanic type of society.

What that means is that they are being indirectly supported by a higher authority who sees the practice as “good for his society structure” - thus “ethical”.

James, I would say it was beneficial rather than ‘good’ which doesn’t mean it is ethical.