Who am I?

I am me–If I weren’t me, I’d be someone else, but I’m not. I’m just me.

Can philosophy alone explain the me-ness of me?

Or you might not be at all.

Philosophy can. Religion can. Science and art can. Which explanations would satisfy you?

Philosophy can be asking the right questions, such as “How would I know if you were an impostor?”

You actually have no way of looking at the me because you are not separate from the me, much less philosophizing about it. The experience you have when looking at me you want to share. Using philosophy as a medium, you attempt to share your experience with another person. That’s all there is to it. The actual me is beyond your experiencing structure to capture. The perceiver is the perceived. You cannot separate yourself from what you perceive.

The moment you separate yourself from the me, the philosopher in you comes out. Out of that, philosophers have tried to express themselves, to share their experiences with others. All that is induced by knowledge and thought. The way your thought world has formed itself induces its own responses. There is nothing more to it.

If you accept the concept of the self (and it is a concept), you are free to pursue and gain self-knowledge. But we never question the idea of the self, do we?

That question arises from the assumption that there is a you. In the absence of the assumption, the question would never be asked.

That’s the tricky part. You see, we have never questioned the basic thing assumed here. That is: I think, therefore, I am. If you don’t think it never occurs to you that you do or do not exist. Since we think all the time, the very birth of thought creates fear; the fear of you coming to an end, and it is out of fear that all experience springs. Both “inner” and “outer” worlds proceed from a point of thought. Everything you experience is born out of thought. So, everything you experience, or can experience, is a fear induced illusion.

The me in you is your essence, the portion of you that never changes. That portion of you is consciousness. No matter what you’re thinking, feeling, touching, tasting or smelling, you’re conscious. Consciousness is what it means to be human, above all else. The moment it ceases, you cease. Encompassing consciousness is conscience and freedom of will. There is also a portion of our thoughts, feelings and personality that never changes. This is the 2nd essence of who we are, our authentic selves. It is manifest in everything we do, whether conscious of it or not. The more you’re aware of it and less aware of the frivolous aspects of your psyche, the parts of you that come and go, the more in touch with your true self you are, the more you you are. This is the original meaning of the phrase, find your self. My self is the philosophical radical, it is my destiny, all else is vanity. I cannot speak for you. You must discover your true self on your own. This isn’t something your genes gave you, it is something God given.

It should be noted the world doesn’t cater to your self, it caters to all the things surrounding your self, your shadow. This is the origin of the phrase - shadow of my former self.

Yes. By saying “I am me” you are saying “who am I?”

We all know who you are. A name with a neighbourhood. Why challenge the obvious?

The self and precived self are usually aligned in sane people with high rationallity, but quite distorted in psycopaths and very much in skitzophrenic people.

are you schizophrenic?

He already knows who he is, unless he has forgotteh his name and his neighbourhood.
Why impose psychobabble on it?

You are the history of mankind which has led up to this particular point in time

The more you say “I am ______”, the more the “I” functions as somebody else.

You think to yourself, “I am happy!” Are you the thinker or are you the I?

A serious problem for introspection…

You are about fourty years old, your name is zeljko, you pretend you are a musician, and steal other’s musician identities on internet to stalk their groupies, it obviously does not work, but you keep on doing the same because you have a high esteem of yourself.
Physically speaking, you are repulsive and not gifted by nature, average size, a bit fat, brown hair and mean eyes
you are gay but you don’t want to admitt it, this is the reason why you harass those guys in their band
you love order, hierarchy, ancestrial values and all what revolves with male display of force, because that is where your sexual drive lays
you are reactionnar, you understand very good hitler, not nietzsche
you are amazed by ridiculous values such as “virtuous” or an utopian ancient Greece, i say ridiculous because you do not even understand why you worship “virtu” and ancient “greece”.

my psychoanalyst would love you…
are you a yavis person…
are you a candidate for psychoanalysis???

I wish you had a psychiatrist.

why not a psychoanalyst???

it sounds like you already have one turtle

he seems to think you need drugs too :slight_smile:

Please remember, this was one of my first posts, here–an attempt to test the water as well as an attempt to introduce myself. Can philosophy alone explain the me-ness of me, the I-ness of I, or the you-ness of you.

As Mines has said, ‘No, but perhaps philosophy can ask the ‘right’ questions.’ Have those questions already been asked and answered? If so, why didn’t I get the memo?

Hi Lizethrose,

Philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom by those who do not fully have it. When he made up the word “Philosophy” (traslated as the love of wisdom) Plato had this notion that those who realize they lack wisdom would be drawn by the love of wisdom to pursue it.

You ask good questions for one in pursuit of wisdom. It would appear you are one of us.

Philosophy operates in the realm of words, but not in the realm of The Word mentioned at the beginning of the Gospel of John, The Word that is omniscient Holy Spirit. Our words are not even spirit. They certainly are not omniscient or holy. They are material. They are marks on paper or computer screens or they are amalgamations of sound waves. They are created by one imperfect spirit to comunicate with another imperfect spirit. These words of ours have such meaning as those imperfect spirits can gather around them, but impefect spirits cannot gather perfect meaning around those words. It is beyond their capacity. Only an omniscient holy spirit could do that and that omniscient holy spirit could only fully communicate such perfect meaning to another omniscient holy spirit.

So, Philosophy can not perfectly explain the me-ness of me, the I-ness of I, or the you-ness of you. But it can begin the pursuit of wisdom about such topics.

We are spirit. By this I mean we are consciousness (awareness) that has cares and concerns. Our spirit is like Heraclitus’ river. It is always flowing, always changing, never fully the same as what it was or will be. Thus we lack perfect identity with ourselves.

Spirit comes in moments of spirit and communities of moments of spirit. The moments of spirit are communities of moments of spirit. Communities of moments of spirit are moments of spirit.

Oue communities of spirit do not have perfect unity. They only have the unity of community. There is always some separateness between our moments of spirit. That separateness emerges from the fact that our moments of spirit do not directly experience other moments of spirit like they experience themselves. They lack any perfect experience of each other. (This distinguishes our spirit from the perfect Holy Spirit that omniscienty experiences all spirit as if it all were itself).

Nevertheless, there is something within our moments of spirit that draw them together into communities. In its deepest heart, spirit is love of spirit. That deepest heart is the thing called soul. But since our deepest heart does not fully know the object of its love (the soul lacks perfect empathy), its love is always expressed imperfectly. Soul fails to bind our spirit communities together in perfect love. The soul’s love of spirit is twisted by ignorance into selfishness (i.e., love of those spirits who are most directly experienced).

But if we are not perfect unities, why do we still say we are entities at all?

The voice of love says: I am responsible, therefore I am. It is our aspiriation to be something specific (a servant of spirit) that makes us something. It is the aspiration to be that which is not only spirit, but also the perfect servant of spirit, that makes us, to some degree, something that remains, to some degree, identical with itself.

beyondthecave

PS: That last post may be, in my estimation, my best ever.

beyondthecave

Sometimes what is considered wisdom is a distortion. Thought uses the mechanism of knowledge to perpetuate itself, to create a continuity and permanence for itself. Thought can never know anything as it is. It has to distort what is given according to its predilections as to what is pleasant and what is unpleasant, pursue what it sees as pleasant, avoid what it sees as unpleasant in experience, and perpetuate itself in this process of seeking.

There is no spirit or soul, no wisdom aside from that which is contained in thought about them. They are merely conceptualizations of the intellect. Abstractions and beliefs that are formed from what you have come to know and feel about them.

Your thinking tells you that your life appears to have no meaning so you go searching for a meaning, you search for a goal. As long as you are searching for a goal, and as long as you are searching for meaning you will remain wandering around restlessly. ‘There must after all be something meaningful to do, something with more content, something more interesting than what I’m doing now’, you tell yourself. And the only thing you can do is to change yourself? But in reality the only change takes place in your thought structure, you begin to think differently and therefore to experience and feel things differently. Basically however everything remains exactly as it was. You can change your clothes and only wear the most ‘fashionable’ clothing just to be ‘in’, but inside you are still the same. Wanting to understand is only useful for changing small things in yourself. There is nothing you can do to change the past. In the hope of changing things in the future, you remain stuck with the miserable present, which is in fact the past.

The past is always active. If the past ends, you end. That is the reason why you will never allow that, no matter how hard you try. The past is everywhere in you. Every cell in your body is permeated by it. Every nerve is involved in it. The past has this body so much under control that it will not let it go. The past will not come to an end through any effort you make or whatever will power you effect! The more effort you put into it, the more willpower you use, the stronger it becomes. You came across many insights in this process, but every insight reinforces the past. It does not in any way help to understand anything and to thus free yourself from whatever. Every insight that you obtain with your investigations only strengthens and solidifies that.