Who do you write like?

Click on the Learn What Writer You Write Like link, put a sample of your writing in the box, and find out what famous author you write like. Let us know the results here.

http://iwl.me/s/c3e0655f

I’ll reveal my results later.

Somewhat disconcertingly I write like…

Or a more scathing bio from Cracked.com James the perv

I was hoping for someone a little less screwy.

PS: Just out of curiousity, I banged a couple more paragraphs into the analyze box and got a mixture of - Stephen King, Dan Brown, James Joyce [again-arrgh], and some guy I’d never heard of.

Tab,

It is a funny site. I also put more than one sample in the box, and I came out writing like: Stephen King the first time, Isaac Asimov the second time, and David Foster Wallace (who?) the third time.

A friend did get James Joyce, and I found myself wondering if my writing isn’t schizophrenic enough to be Joyceian. Nobody I know came up with Nabokov, which is pretty amusing considering it’s called the Write Like Nabokov test. :confused:

j

Joyce as well!

Me delighted with that!

I’ll try another sample hmmm…

Joyce again - yippeee! :banana-dance:

kp

I’m wondering if Joyce is the default “This program has no idea who you write like” dumpster. Let’s face it, Joyce wrote like a sackful of chickens on LSD with their beaks dipped in ink, one size fits all.

Jonquil,

I was once told by a teacher that I write a lot like William Faulkner.
Go figure. Maybe the teacher was drunk.

I think I sort of write a little like that person called Arcturus Rising, but I don’t know for sure. :laughing:

When I do the Breton thingy, or as I call it, stream of consciousness writing (and you’ve experienced mine in here :laughing: ) I think my writing resembles the little squirrel’s across the street in the park. Yes, there is this cute little squirrel that every once in a while, peeks his head out of the hole in this maple tree, and when he thinks that no one is looking or around, he comes out. He scampers around for a wee bit, going in search of a place on the ground where the dirt is clean and clear and he then proceeds to happily and energetically write. I think that Joseph Campbell would stand in awe of him - you know, that awesome man who said “follow your bliss”. Well, you ought to really see this little rodent write. I call him Herkemer, after a little mouse that i had as a friend when I was a little girl. He used to come out of the wall, but sadly, Herkemer, did not know how to write. Herkemer, II, though, man, he is a wonder. And he knows how to spell too. On second thought, I don’t write like my squirrelly little friend who lives in the Maple.

I simply write like that little neuron that is fed by chemicals and dances around the maze that is called my brain circuitry.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

I’ll do the test and get back to ye…

Edited ](*,)

krossie, Congratulations! I love Joyce, though I came to that love after serious avoidance and difficulty. What got me through my antipathy to Joyce were the essays of the great Guy Davenport. Once Joyce was opened up, I really came to appreciate his work.

Tab, for some … like me … Joyce has been an acquired taste, but once acquired, much loved and appreciated. That’s how it works sometimes. But I know what you mean about the way he uses language, like a stream of consciousness surreal dream on steroids sometimes… but it’s a very wonderful dream if you have the key to unlock its timeless wonders and beauty, and particularly that modern look at myth through a very special Joyceian lens.

arcturus, don’t dismiss Faulkner. He’s a great one, too, though difficult without a key as well sometimes. I’m not sure what your Breton thing is, but I love the spirit of stream of consciousness. Keep following your bliss and dancing around that maze of neurons!

j

I’m only dismissing Faulkner for his sake, not mine.

But I am indeed curious to see who they come up with.

I write like Kurt Vonnegut. Proof: iwl.me/s/8ccf5154

I don’t know how it came up with that dude, but I’ll take it.

He was in the German army during WWII.
Satire/Dark Comedy, noted for excerpts like:

“This is a very bad book you’re writing,” I said to myself.
“I know,” I said.
“You’re afraid you’ll kill yourself the way your mother did,” I said.
“I know,” I said.

Yes, judging from the above, I can certainly see that in you, Echo. That is exactly how you write, most often. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

echo, you are in great company with Kurt Vonnegut. That plague of ice in Cat’s Cradle was amazing.

“Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.” Kurt Vonnegut

Okay now, I thought I would be a little scientific and I placed five different writings in there to be analyzed.

Who do I write like - in order of writings placed in:

1. Edgar Allen Poe :laughing: (I will admit I like a bit of the dark and the gloomy though I don’t think it was actually dark and gloomy but maybe a bit of the meditative.

2. Stephen King :astonished:

3. H.P. Lovecraft (I have no idea who that is)

4. David Foster Wallace (Don’t know him either)

5. William Gibson (Don’t know him either).

What can one make of this. :laughing: :laughing:

I just did another writing and who did I get: L. Frank Baum. :laughing:

I think that, really, in order to get a ‘feel’ for who we write like or who we are, we need, at the very least, 4, 5, 6 maybe even 100 of our own writings.

I am starting to think that the writers just go through each submission on a rotating basis. It’s still fun, though.

William Gibson and David Foster Wallace are unfamiliar to me, too. Here are their wiki links.

http://www.google.com/webhp?rls=ig#rls=ig&hl=en&source=hp&q=William+Gibson&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=f9d502c32925471e

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Foster_Wallace

Really eerie - Wallace looks like the character of Eliot on Leverage.

I actually did it again, later on, and came back with the exact same writers. Just to be scientific of course. Maybe it means more than astrology. :laughing:

Thanks. That’s good to know.

I put a paragraph from Book 2 of Plato’s Republic in the box, and turns out that Plato writes like James Fennimore Cooper. Good one, eh. :unamused:

That made me lol. :laughing: I bet Plato’s pissed up in idea heaven.

My opening to the debate I had with Dorky: David Foster Wallace

My conclusion to the end of the world debate: H.P. Lovecraft

My reply in the recent left vs right thread: David Foster Wallace

A random thread in religion I posted in: H.P. Lovecraft

So, it isn’t completely random. In the DFW examples, I used parentheses to either clarify a point or to make ironic observations. In the other two examples, I did not.

Interesting.

In leatherstockings no less, I’m shewer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks you can bet I’m chuffed!! I came to him fairly late – it was in second year English where they pretty much forced us to read Ulysses – i now think its possibly my favourite book – so so so many things going on in one man’s wander through a city at the near edge of the British Empire.
I would say neither William Faulkner or Vonnegut are to be dismissed lightly either.
On the other hand how many “bad” writers would they put in the data base.

I don’t know Dave Foster Wallace but I was obsessed by the cyber punk of 5. William Gibson and Bruce Sterling when I was a teenager. Weirdly enough Gibson is now a regular on twitter!

twitter.com/GreatDismal

A fellow student put in the seminar notes of one of our particularly impossible to understand lectures into a programme that rated essays for spelling and grammer and he got zero.
None the less the result above is most spectacular!!!
Tempted to put in some Schopenhauer – ah sure what the heck!

Hey the great German pessimist of the will
(i put in a section from here marxists.org/reference/subje … hopenh.htm)
writes like David Foster Wallace too! :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

kp

Now that is something worth looking into.

I wonder how each of those two men would, equally, feel about that? Put another paragraph of Plato’s Republic in and see who he sounds like then. I sort of think that it is not so much in the words, as it is in the tone and the mood that comes across in the paragraphs. perhaps they have empaths working there. :laughing: The first of my writings that I had put in came up as Edgar Allen Poe and I can sort of understand from a bit of the tone and mood the analysis gleaning him.

Maybe sometime later I’ll find Plato’s Allegory of the Cave and see if it comes up with Freud or Jung. :laughing: :banana-dance: