Who was Patrice Lumumba?

…who once wrote to his wife:

[size=85]Dead, living, free, or in prison on the orders of the colonialists, it is not I who counts. It is the Congo, it is our people for whom independence has been transformed into a cage where we are regarded from the outside… History will one day have its say, but it will not be the history that Brussels, Paris, Washington, or the United Nations will teach, but that which they will teach in the countries emancipated from colonialism and its puppets… a history of glory and dignity.
~Patrice Lumumba[/size]

In light of what you know about this man, what are your opinions of him, his actions, and his death?

I think he qualifies as something America should apologize for.

It’s hard to tell when you’re serious, but I think you are here.

I am. Sometimes the things I say are the kinds of things that if you say them too seriously, then they’re too sad.

And Belgium did, in fact, apologize for their part.

I just watched The Power Principle documentary the other night. It was so eye opening, but now I have a ton new information floating around in my head that I need to follow up on. I want to read In Search of Enemies next.

He was the guy who plunged his country into a inevitably civil war quicker than any side was expecting. He’s got a momument dedicated to him in the purgatory of fool hearted leadership. An idealist lacking a sound understanding of statecraft is a cruel tyrant at best, a genocidal fool at worst. Belgiums didn’t help the situation in never really unifying the countryside into a single, cohesive society… remains heavily fractured to this day. He we a dipshit in the hottest hours of the Cold War… he might of had better luck had he been like… the leader of Luxemborg where his policies wouldn’t of really mattered. Just about every manor factions in the Marxist camp were salvating over the Congo, and the West would only be satified with them being kept out at all costs. This was after all the era when the Marxists were invading Korea and trying to topple Greece, not to mention what was going on in Eastern Europe in general. Dipshit choose bad. However, history is littered with such guys… we can sit around and pant and moan in depression about how great history would of become had they done, or others done otherwise at crucial moments. Or we can try to understand the thinking process that leads to catastrophic defeat and destruction and oppose such mindsets as the true and enduring evil of our species.

Lumumba = Bad… if for no other reason than the bullshit road his actions resulted in for generations of his people. If only, if only… if if if… but what IS IS, IS IS. He fucked up worst than Saddam Hussein trying to be a badass in the count down to the last invasion, or the Golden Horde trusting Moscow to collect taxes for it. That shit backfired like a mother fucker.