Wholeness

I find Jung hard to interpret. There are points in there where I would not use the word ego the way he does. I think you could have an utterly egoless experience - in meditation, on a drug, in some intense ritual or experience - and be conscious. So I am not even sure what he means by that word and much of the rest seems not very clear to me. I like what I have gotten from Jung and Jungians and I have taken from them, but I do not find his work, in particular, very clear. Should it turn out, however, that he thinks of the ego negatively or considers to goal to be near to (but clearly from above not fully to) eradication of the ego, I disagree with him. I consider the ego our sense of ourselves as separate. certainly in some moments it can even be wonderful to not feel separate, though even in those cases I have found one can also, at the same time, be both separate and merged (with another person, with nature, with what seems other in the self and so on). But regardless I do not see the ending of the ego as a goal that interests me, nor does it seem to interest my id, however much negotiations are ongoing between my id and my ego. I also find that the ego can learn that the self is more than the ego realized and it is willing to be open and lose control while still being present. Of course all of this is very abstract and can be misinterpreted. Just doing my best given the slippery nature of these terms and the phenomenology of the experiences. I do think that some traditions want to get rid of the ego, want us to disidentify with portions of what I would call myself and would prefer to unify with and express. Those traditions and paths are not for me and I do not consider them an authority. Others, of course, can do what they wish with themselves.

You seem to be looking at ego death as a theoretical once -for -all phenomenon whereas it can be a daily phenomenon as we strive to better ourselves reaching for our ego ideal and shedding our worse identities.

Jung doesn’t see ego death as an all-or-nothing phenomenon since he recognizes the necessity of a functioning ego to organize the conscious mind.

Anyway, in the first place, a phenomenological approach involves becoming aware of the images as they appear in the mind regardless of theory.
The myth of the dying and resurrecting hero has a long cross-cultural history and is present in the dreams of many of us including those with modern secular mindsets.
So what would be the basis for denying it universal archetypal status?
But perhaps you’re not doing that either. Maybe you’re just saying you don’t like it.
After all most of us in the Western world encounter it first through traditional Christianity to which many have an aversion today. And few if any find death attractive.
And yet it surrounds us. So ego death is without a doubt a negative aspect of the individuation process from one point of view. But inasmuch as it is a natural process, and therefore a life process, how can death be avoided? Life and death always go together.

I’m not assuming at all that it is a one big one shot thing.

As far as the ego ideal, I don’t think that striving for the ego ideal is a good thing. In fact I think it is part of the problem…

So, it’s kind of an image portion of the superego.

I don’t want to shed my worse identities, but integrate them.

Yes, he seems to have a different idea of what the ego is than I do or Freud does. Though to be honest I don’t really think in those terms. I am not Freudian nor Jungians though they affected me in many ways. I don’t really buy either of their models of the self.

I think Freud and to a lesser degree the Jungians have a lot of confirmation bias in their culling of archetypes from myths and stories. They ‘see’ their models and avoid seeing contradictions.

Further cultures do have some common judgements of, for example, the limbic system. Just because many cultures ‘think’ that a certain thing should happen does not mean it is right.

Ego death is not death.

For me to take a hard stand on the ego ideal or ego death or even whether any of the images I present are archetypes of the collective unconsciousness would be counter to what I’m trying to do here which is to promote awareness of the spontaneous images which appear in the mind.
Now I will present images that have been produced by world mythology with a view to the question of whether these or similar images have occurred spontaneously in my mind.
Even the images of wholeness like the mandala I’m looking at from the standpoint of an image and bracketing the theory that it is an actual process of human development.
Thus do I intend to promote awareness of mental images, correlate them with world mythology, if possible, and avoid the pitfalls of objective theory and religion.
With that in mind, would you say that your above comments mean that you do not interpret such images of death and rebirth as you have in terms of ego death which is a concept or range of concepts?

I would say that I do not know how many of these people intended these images to be interpreted (or what they meant in their unconscious minds). If I understand what you are saying here is that you are not trying to say what one should think or do, but rather just report what has been present in many places (myths dreams folk tales and so on). I would guess that a part of the human soul thinks that ego death is necessary for individuation, for example. I think there are other parts that do not. Further I think that some parts that seem to be presenting it - death rebirth - as a necessary stage could mean a variety ‘things’ by death and rebirth or the more specific detailed version in this or that myth.

There is a deep imprinting in us, about what must be. Even down in the collective unconscious there are ideas based on imprinting, not necessarily what is needed or possible.

So, I suppose I am saying that a bunch of things are going on, and one of them is that there is a stage of ego death and there are other competing ideas in there also.

A little bit like how there is the Oepdipus myth and then there is the myth of Ganesh, where the child (Ganesh) enters a realm of serious competition and drama and even hatred between his parents. IOW he is not the active creator of the problems, but someone caught in the middle - at least in some of the versions of his story.

Freud noticed myths that reinforced the story that he felt was central. Jung did this also - though he definition came up with more core stories than Freud. I see an oversimplification and also an appeal to authority in relation to the collective unconscious. Though I realize part of my response is now going where you aren’t really intending to go.

Perhaps I have takne the thread to far from your intent and I don’t want to hijack so I will leave it here. I hope I have been clear, and that even if I wandered off topic, I did also respond to the topic.

No I think that insofar as you have countered the leap from phenomenon to theory, you have facilitated my intention for this thread.

From James Hillman the originator of post-Jungian archetypal psychology:

What are the methods to achieve wholeness? Can it be accomplished by intellectual discourse?

I think that just maybe this concern for wholeness is a modern invention/concern. I don’t think it was a concern of hunter-gathers, of stone agers. Was it a concern during pre-written-language times?

Is it a sign of our age that we’re suddenly concerned about wholeness? What has happened that has produce this need for wholeness?

If wholeness is achieved at all it is not achieved by a method but by a process of individuation. CG Jung did develop analytic psychology as a means of facilitating the process of individuation. But the process itself is natural.

Why do you think prehistoric humans were not concerned about wholeness? It’s a natural human process. And they did produce mandala-like circular artworks which may have been symbols of wholeness.

People have a psychological need to establish order and unity out of chaos. The duality of order & chaos is seen in the symbol of the Tao which is itself a mandala and a symbol of wholeness. The symbol of the Tao is ancient not a sudden sign of our age.

Both the Tao and the Self are symbolized by a circle which, as I said, is a mandala meaning “magic circle” in Sanskrit. The ego or ordinary mind develops after we are born. In part it comes from inside but mostly from the outside through our interactions with our parents, significant others and our environment. We introject parts of them which becomes a false self that gets enmeshed with our true self.

Part of the task in Taoism and Jung’s psychology on the way to wholeness is to let go of ego and kill the false self so that our true self will emerge. This is symbolized by the hero myth including death and rebirth narratives. Wholeness entails balancing the conscious and unconscious aspects of the psyche.

Is it possible that wholeness is releasing wholeness? Chuang Tzu lamented that he could find no one who had released words so that he might sit down and have a word with him. Irony? Perhaps Jungian philosophy isn’t very clear because too many words met themselves coming and going. It might be that Jung is best understood in silence and understanding ourselves in even deeper silence.

Ha!

Interesting response. Thanks.

Thanks again Catmando

This is a cut and paste from The Essential Jung, page 332. Here Jung speaks of wholeness (emphasis mine):

“332 “UNUS MUNDUS” AND SYNCHRONICITY
There I would trespass upon all manner of religious convictions. Living in the West, I would have to say Christ instead of “self,” in the Near East it would be Khidr, in the Far East atman or Tao or the Buddha, in the Far West maybe a hare or Mondamin, and in cabalism it would be Tifereth. Our world has shrunk, and it is dawning on us that humanity is one, with one psyche. Humility is a not inconsiderable virtue which should prompt Christians, for the sake of charity ­the greatest of all virtues — to set a good example and acknowledge that though there is only one truth it speaks in many tongues, and that if we still cannot see this it is simply due to lack of understanding. No one is so godlike that he alone knows the true word. All of us gaze into that “dark glass” in which the dark myth takes shape, adumbrating the invisible truth. In this glass the eyes of the spirit glimpse an image which we call the self, fully conscious of the fact that it is an anthropomorphic image which we have merely named but not explained. By "self’ we mean psychic wholeness, but what realities underlie this concept we do not know, because psychic contents cannot be observed in their unconscious state, and moreover the psyche cannot know itself. The conscious can know the unconscious only so far as it has become conscious. We have only a very hazy idea of the changes an unconscious content undergoes in the process of becoming conscious, but no certain knowledge. The concept of psychic wholeness necessarily implies an element of transcendence on account of the existence of unconscious components. Transcen­dence in this sense is not equivalent to a metaphysical postulate or hypostasis; it claims to be no more than a borderline concept, to quote Kant.”

Given your acquaintance with CG Jung and the Tao te Ching I find your questions surprising.
C.G. Jung wrote quote” I use the term individuation to denote the process by which a person becomes a psychological in-dividual that is a separate indivisible Unity or whole.” [CW vol. 9i,p. 275]
Natural means existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

How do you know mandalas are concerning wholeness? Cave paintings at Lascaux dating 17,000 yrs ago, seem to depict the hunt, not wholeness.

Examples of prehistorical mandalas include:
google.com/search?hl=en&tbm … nsJNopP3pM

“If you want to become whole, let yourself be partial.” Tao 22

Mitchell, Stephen. Tao Te Ching: A New English Version (Perennial Classics) (p. 25). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

The human organism is the product of 3.5 billion years of evolution. Psychologically we have changed very little since the Tao Te Ching was written. The collective unconscious is essentially the same. There are “unknown forces” within us that can only be read indirectly from the images that arise spontaneous to mind in dreams and other mental phenomena. Modern culture has taught us to ignore this stuff. Jungian and archetypal psychology directs us to become conscious of them.

Maybe you can show where Jung’s task is wholeness – he treated schizophrenics – but can you really speak for what the Tao’s task is concerning wholeness? Isn’t that like preachers that claim to be speaking for God?
[/quote]

“Only in being lived by the Tao can you be truly yourself.” Tao 22

Mitchell, Stephen. Tao Te Ching: A New English Version (Perennial Classics) (p. 26). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Happy Easter everyone! Hooray for fertility and rebirth!

For you, Felix :slight_smile:

Thank you MagsJ. What a hoot!

This is very interesting.
This is what I arrived at in my study of the kabbalic sephira Hod. The process of creation from God to World must undergo at one point a splintering, so as for individual beings to be able to exist.

So, first we would have to immerse ourselves in acceptance of our limits, as splinters of God lacking the power to oversee the Whole of Being, and only then can we become whole as parts of being.

Is this the teaching you’re referring to?

The divine spark is, no doubt, an archetypal image. The Gnostics wrote of it. It is central to Quakerism as well.

Not quite, I am not a Lurianic kabbalist, I am a Merkabatic one, meaning experimental-empirical rather than theoretical; I am only studying on the inner planes, in meditations which last several hours each day of study. The results are very far from intellectual and it takes much time to formulate verbal thoughts about them.
Some conclusions do overlap with Luria. But what I mean with separation is not the same as what he means with Isolation.

He speaks of the ascent from the Earth up to God, I speak of Gods will descending down to become the material world. Separation is a painful necessity God has to face in the creation process.

Ive been undertaking a detailed lecture series of the Tree of Life since May 2017, last year I arrived at Hod and the question of Separation which includes the matter of the Devil, and a month or so back I completed the video about it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6TaF-VuuUk[/youtube]

The difference is, Merkabatics only take the Tree of Life as it is presented, as beginning in the Boundless Light and completing in the Kingdom - I do not postulate “the adept” (nor consider his ascent in the ontological terms of the tree) - even though I don’t deny that I am one. I am not quite as interested in the role of the individual as in the methods of God.