Why do I like Sorrow.

For a long time, i’ve had a fascination with sorrow, but unlike someone that would often see it in a negative light, I never seem to view it that way.

Whether it’s film, story or song whenever moments of sorow appear I just feel… alive?, content? Complete?

There were times when I was younger when I went through bouts similiar to depression, but it wasn’t miserable for me, this was before I had discovered philosophy and it was when I was depressed or sorrowful that I felt most contemplative and real.

The first time I experianced this is when my mother died in a car accident when I was 8 years old, after the intial bawling my eyes out I kind of just felt cold, but not angry, I never really felt angry the way my sister did, with the whole generic why did God let this happen, I never blamed God. Even at that age I realized the differance between myself and the rest of the world, surely for me this was a terrible thing but the rest of the world pretty much carried on as it always does which is fine, it was just interesting to understand at that age.

I remmember at the funeral home just sitting in a corner down the hall from my mothers dead body, I didn’t really go near it because even them I realized it wasn’t her, not really, it was just her body others would say some words maybe a peck on the cheek but not me I just sat their thinking, repediatly giving thanks to those who appoligized for my mothers death even though it didn’t really make me feel better I thought I might as well thank them for caring.

I went outside and there was a basketball hoop and some other people were playing , so I decided to join, actually started smiling a bit, the owner of the funeral home was out their along with some of my cousins.
My sister came out mad at me, saying I should be inside but I didn’t want to, that was boring and miserable, I was already in sorrow I didn’t want to be miserable also.

Anyway continuing beyond that tangent…

As if all other social intereaction and activities were simply fronts of a phony self, only when in sorrow could I feel truly that I was genuine.

I often listen to sad music, and it doesn’t make me sad, it helps me contemplate deep thoughts.

I believe in the soul and the most convincing i’ve ever had that it existed was in sorrow, and I believe this is why I like it because as I believe it revealed to me my true self, it reveals the true identity of all others, behind the masquerading, the crudeness or mundane veil people wear much of the time.

Stuff like this for example.

Medieval 2 Total War: Kingdoms: Britania Main Theme
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvFHgbLsYyw[/youtube]
DREAM OF ALBION

The Two Towers Soundtrack-08-Evenstar
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5CIpMFo4Q[/youtube]
Chopin - Nocturne for piano and violin
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvVX-6zb5N8[/youtube]
Samurai Champloo-Imaginary Folklore
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9XRnzqxSuc[/youtube]
Ikue Asazaki - Obokuri-Eeumi (Samurai Champloo)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQtkLNTmRs[/youtube]
Cowboy Bebop - I will forget you
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buUm2H6XoHg[/youtube]
“I will forget you” is a song from the Scarlet Pimpernel musical

GREAT post!

I understand you.

I have felt the exact same thing throughout my life.

Sometimes I feel like sorrow is payment for a good thing that it will bring.

At other times I am convinced that sorrow is very necessary human condition that is used as a plumb mechanism. Sorrow tells us we are doing something wrong and actually encourages us to do something else in relation to a problem or an issue.

Stoic Guardian…

I also like a sense of melancholia…I intuit that this is what you’re describing…whether it’s found in music or poetry or a rainy, overcast day. It isn’t like depression…just something about it that can put me in a reflective, feeling kind of mood. I’m not in essence saying that I need that in order to feel - anything and everything allows me to feel :laughing: but I do think that there is a kind of spiritual, soulful beauty within melancholia which can put us in touch with a deeper self. Perhaps it is saying “Listen! I want to show you something!” It’s like finding that inner space which fills us with ineffable solitude (for lack of a better expression). I might compare it sort of to skinny dipping in a river, all alone, with the moon shining down on you and Chopin’s Nocturne or Debussy or Puccini (all aha moments) reverberating through space. All alone and swimming through it with delight.
:laughing: :banana-dance:

I love the melancholy, a friend once said; “happy people are selfish”.

It just means you have depth.

Yes Arcturus you got what I was explaining perfectly.

youtube.com/watch?v=jrFChQUQihE

the blues are built entirely on this sort of commiseration

Rote social caveat of happy masks, as admission to groups, analogycal to caveat of individual admission to groups sharing perceptual characteristics. —the buden of Democratic principles…there is a split there, and politics fills the gap of cognitive discontinuity, by an appearant perceptual symbolism.

Do I “understand this without the crutch of a visual symbol?”. Maybe bill uses this as a compensation to a perceptual/cognitive split. I dunno. Strictly “a-priori”

why did you just quote yourself within seconds of posting? :-k

Because, of doubts about Kant’s efficacy.

But in all deffference, Bethooven’s Monlight sonata breaks my heart, especially given the fact that it was unrequited.Or, his Appasionata Sonata.

I also love Beethoven’s Moonlight sonata. Also Chopin and Debussy etcetera …I don’t think it is so much that that kind of music crushes our hearts (hearts, cannot, in actuality, be broken :laughing: ) but they DO make our beings or our core selves come alive. They play on our brain chemistry too - ISN’T IT SO WONDERFUL that we have the courage to allow ourselves to feel and to flow through whatever may come to us in these moments. These moments are AHA moments…like the most heart-rending sunset you’ve ever seen. You simply want to burst out of yourself. I also love Rachmaninoff…

I daresay that it might have been music which awakened the primordial Silence … but not Bach! :laughing:

Except when after you realise that things don’t come back the same as before and utterly gone, then perhaps death and transfiguration, and maybe,
Just maybe
Missa solemnis,
Or st matthew’s passion.
The sunsets are like a reminder of loss but the dawn
That new dawn will renew.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhhq6PNHeVE[/youtube]

I’ve very much enjoyed the music videos in this thread. May I add one? The Adagio from Rodrigo’s Concierto d’ Aranjuez.

There is a story behind this Adagio. Rodrigo (totally blind) was in Paris in 1939 when his first child was stillborn; the doctors told him that his beloved wife Victoria, whose gentle grace and care had taught him how to “see” and experience the world without eyes, was in grave condition. Rodrigo hurried home and composed this Adagio, which some have described as a pure cry to God. The delicate harmonics at the end are, Rodrigo later admitted, his child’s soul ascending to heaven.

The soloist in this video is Flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucia. Since de Lucia was not classically trained, there was much consternation when a concert was arranged for Rodrigo’s concierto with de Lucia as the featured artist. After that concert, Rodrigo commented that he’d never heard the Adagio played more beautifully. Enjoy, rebecca

youtube.com/watch?v=e9RS4biqyAc