Why do religious figures rhyme, and can seculars adopt this?

This is a small question, but maybe you guys would know.

Have you ever noticed how many religious figures use rhyming in their casual speech? I was just watching Piers Morgan, and pastor Rick Warren was on there. Towards the end, he said something about “Giving, Living, Heaven” (but he made Heaven slant rhyme). I started thinking back, and many religious figures use this rhetorical technique.

Why do you think that is?

What effect does it have?

Do you use it? Why?

Do you think it would be as effective on a secular crowd? Perhaps a pre-secular transitional crowd of those questioning religion. Would they find it more comfortable to hear these rhetorical methods?

Just curious. I don’t want to debate God or Spirituality as much as the methods used in communicating belief.

Perhaps the rhyming is for mnemonic purposes. It’s catchy and people will remember it better. I’ve always felt, though, that when it comes to an important message or idea I would rather say it beautifully and fully versus easily and popularly. I would rather communicate an idea in a way to maximize the fullness of its meaning and understandability versus maximizing the number of heads in which it gets stuck.

I used to write poetry and I experimented both with rhymes and without. Rhyme is a great tool but I’ve always been much more fascinated with the subtlety of diction and the minutia of sentence structure, for instance. The latter are the tools I prize more highly.

Seculars use rhyme, in eduction, in lectures, in poetry, in marketing, in children’s stories…

Rhyme suggests order and purpose. Those preaching of order and pupose can be heard practicing what they preach. Those listening, unaware of literary devices, tend to believe things based on sound first, before any context.

Aside from rhyme, aliteration and assonance are also used, sometimes deceptively so, but by achieving similar effects.

Sounds that go with other sounds, lead to people who go with other people.

Communicators, outside of religious figures, speak this way all the time.

“If the gloves don’t fit you must acquit.” Rhymed sayings are memorable, as Fuse noted. Seculars already have adopted this, as Moreno said> Look at advertising. “See the USA in your Chevrolet.”