Why does a god allow/cause earthquakes

…or a towering wave of water?

Bob, aside from your strange attempts at rational thinking, you’re about the coolest religious person I have ever met.

“God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him”- my new bumper sticker

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I gotta get outta this forum because the smell is overwhelming.

They are innocent in the sense that they did not do anything to deserve that! If we are not all innocent, then we all deserve to perish under those tidal waves of fury?

Says who?

Presupposing a just god, then excusing human trajedy through mental gymnastics is nothing more than rationalization.

As I see it, the basis for a just god does not exist without the meaningless catch-phrase “God works in mysterious ways.”

It is NOT imperfections that lead to suffering but hatred of being imperfect that leads to mental suffering BEFORE exterior suffering and to DOUBLE suffering when the suffering arrives and after its arrival.

The imperfection that leads to suffering is the Imperfect Hatred for the imperfect and for suffering.

A thought transfixed me: for the first time in my life I saw the truth as it is set into song by so
many poets, proclaimed as the final wisdom by so many thinkers. The truth–that Love is the ultimate and
the highest goal to which man can aspire. Then I grasped the meaning of the greatest secret that human poetry and human thought and belief have to impart: The salvation of man is through Love and in Love. I understood how a many who has nothing left in this world still may know bliss, be it only for a brief moment, in the contemplation of his beloved. In a position of utter desolation, when man cannot express himself in positive action, when his only achievement may consist in enduring his sufferings in the right way–an honorable way–in such a position man can, through loving contemplation of the image he carries of his beloved, achieve fulfillment. For the first time in my life I was able to understand the meaning of the words, "The angels are lost in perpetual contemplation of an infinite glory of Love.” Viktor Frankl, man’s search for meaning.

In Love of myself as imperfect and as a victim,
I can easily love as myself the imperfect victims, who still hate being imperfect and hate being victims,
and know when in Love to let them know WHY this happened and HOW to handle it now that is HAS happened.

When people know WHY, they can bear any how. Nietzsche.
People don’t mind suffering if they know WHY!
Then they feel empowered to prepare for not letting it happen again and to prevent it and to bear it if it ever happened again, God forbid.

love and r,
iliove

the simple answer? because death brings people closer to god.

the other answer?
"the next time you’re standing in a long line, ask yourself: ‘am i better off now that there are less people?’ " -Dilbert

Perhaps it is the religiosity of people’s minds that obligate them to find meaning into something meaningless. We know that one of the reasons we place meaning in something is because of death. Unfortunately, sweeping statements like “death brings people closer”, in appliance to this tragedy is something tremendously shocking to the victim’s families and friends.

Everyone has to die at some time or another, is there any difference if it is in an earthquake, in a car crash or in natural causes. By saying that God can’t be good because people die in earthquakes, one is implying that God can’t be good at all because people die.

Survivalists (most of humanity) instinctively hate and fear death as it goes against what they believe in and stand for. Therefore death is viewed as a form of evil, a form of suffering. If one stops looking at things through the tinted spectacles of human survival instincts, one sees that death is a neutral, inevitable thing, as all that is born must die, all that begins must end. If death is neutral, in whatever form, then surely a good God could allow it to happen.

There is no tragedy in eighty thousand dead people. You don’t believe me? Then ask them. [grin]

What is a tragedy is the fact that every one who is still alive over there probably believes that the event was punishment from God…

and they will hate themselves for it.

This post is absurd.

Why does (God) allow something to happen?
Who or what is “God”?
the orginal question becomes. Why does X allow something to happen. the answer is ??? what the hell is the question?

Yes.

So did you ask yourself - instinctively perhaps, and even hating yourself for it - “Why?”, the moment you heard the news? What do you think it reveals of you? and of others?

The longer you keep that avatar, the longer you’ll be absurd.

Bob, you are absolutely presumptuous and an utter fool, by your very own words!

And what do you, one of those “still alive”, think?

Says me and others too, but what do you say?

Without god, is human tragedy more 'excusable"?

I think I agree. Just like the sorrow or grief is only for those still alive, those who survive and the many who witnessed the event. But the dead can no longer know, can no longer feel.

I think this is a very interesting excerpt from a BBC report:

I think humans can be far wiser if only we are closer in touch with our spiritual self (for I believe that we and animals have the same spirit). The fool is the one who thinks he is not.

Edit: Also see this Reuter’s report

Hey…Bob’s not an utter fool! (my opinon)

In the Lord’s Prayer we ask that God’s will be done on earth as it is in heaven, which implies that God’s will is not always done on earth.

From what we learn of God’s nature in the Bible, it is obvious God does not like the pain and suffering which is occurring, as a result of this terrible tragedy. Why did He allow it to happen then?

The subject of this thread asks why God allowed this to happen. Some have attempted to answer that, perhaps not as emotionally as some others would like. It’s a painful thing to lose loved ones. It’s painful to endure the utter pain of it all…We ask why? I dont think any answer could be acceptable. Scream and cry out to God…be angery with Him…but by all means…turn to Him. He can bring true, and deep healing in all this.

I know bitterness can/will result, but as little good as it may seem to do, I have to say again… dont let that bitterness remain too long.

And that is?

Ahh yes, the “original sin”. I’ll let the emoticon speak for me about this… :laughing: