why philosophy of religion?

For those who frequent this forum: why are you interested in philosophy of religion?

I’m actually new here, but I am interested in philosophy of religion. I find it interesting because I detest religion to an almost incredible degree. I feel that it is something that is destructive to human society, and I love to share that view.
The view also leads into questions about what is an acceptable belief, if not the standard conception of religion, or how science differs from religion.
Also, religion deals with a number of metaphysical issues that I find intriguing, like free-will, the origin of the universe, and the nature of human consciousness.

I think religion gives us more insight into humanity than psychology does. Religion fascinates me greatly, in an anthropological sense.

I have come to sense that there is human meaning and purpose beyond normal secular life. Religion, in its essential sense, in contrast to our normal concerns with yesterday and tomorrow, focuses on the conscious quality of the moment itself independent of yesterday and tomorrow, in relation to human meaning and purpose. I am very drawn to this awareness.

It helps me to introspect on and review my beliefs about life the universe and everything.

Among other things,

• Philosophy or religion is concerned with the ultimate explanations of reality. It is, in this sense, the loftiest part of metaphysics.

• It seems that today, to do metaphysics or natural philosophy, one has to be acquainted with physics. To do epistemology, one has to be acquainted with cognitive sciences. This puts these fields beyond the reach of laymen. Philosophy of religion is less demanding.

• Philosophy of real is concerned with reality, contrary to formal logic.

• I am not very interested in ethics and political philosophy.

• There may be some mystical quest, a search for God.

It is the most fun and to me the most contarvertial. People get more mad about this subject than any other.

it is not a strength, but a drawback. :confused:

I wish people were less emotionally involved in the debates, able to master their irrational feelings.

For me, religion was where I first started getting into philsophy. I find religious topics are a great jumping off point on the way to subjects like ethics, epistemology and metaphysics.

Philosophy is an excellent way to lay out a world view of how, but religion delves into why. After all the ‘knowing’ of disciplined philosophy, religion is more interested in understanding. The differences may be subtle as each share’s much in common, but for the individual, those differences may be the only important differences.

JT

I find it interesting because I detest religion to an almost incredible degree. I feel that it is something that is destructive to human society, and I love to share that view. Yay, someone who shares my ideas! But destructive…hmmmm…for some people it makes them better, but I have yet to meet one of those people (at least one aligned with a major organized religion).

“Philosophy is an excellent way to lay out a world view of how, but religion delves into why.” WOOOOOOOOW… deep and unavoidably truthful.

But for myself… rather long story. Brother = loves philosophy/religion…“blur the line…etc.” (the only way I could ever blur the line of reality is with a few glasses of wine… I’m guessing). Yeah, boring to argue with him because I can’t prove his ideas wrong with reason, but he has absolutely no proof to back them up. Utterly foolish, like talking to a stubborn two year old. His latest statement, for anyone who would care to comment: “It is better to take the wrong path than to stand at the crossroads” (i.e. dissing agnosticism and anything that waits for proof before making a decision… an informed decision)… what if the wrong path goes off a cliff, then I’d rather be standing there, having fun contemplating and looking at life from all angles rather than nothing (dead). So yes, these forums are pure fun. To borrow someone else’s quote: “s-x for the mind.”