Your Assistance is Required

I’m in a bit of a pickle with respect to graduating. Apparently, a course I am partaking in right now does not count toward the general communication degree that I seek. Following is a letter I will be sending to the dean of my department, in the hopes that she will overide the rules and allow ithe course that I am currently taking to count so that I can officially graduate and begin making hordes of money… well, at least some money. Anyhow, it is absolutely imperative that I get course accpetance, otherwise I am royally screwed because I’ll have to put off my job for another 2 months, which I don’t want to do. I’m hoping that some of you kind folks wouldn’t mind reading the letter and offering any insight on its persuasive value. Is it too aggresive? Too soft? Should I make a more pathetic case for myself? Any insight you can offer would be much appreciated. Here’s the letter:

June 10, 2004

Dear Dr. Helweg,

I am writing with the hope that you will accept Communication 408 (Honors Mass Communication and Society) as completing my final requirement under the 12 unit portion of the 2002-2003 general communication degree. Through an oversight on my part, I enrolled in the class in the first session of this summer under the assumption that it would count toward satisfying the twelve unit section of the aforementioned degree. If not for extenuating circumstances, when I realized that the class would not complete my degree, I would have simply dropped the course and completed Communication 445 in the second session of the summer semester (as it is the only class available that would satisfy the requirement). Unfortunately, it will be nigh impossible for me to attend during session two for the following the reasons: 1.) I have been hired at a brokerage firm, and am set to commence working there July 5th. Because of the necessity to fill the position to which I was hired, my future employer cannot guarantee that the position will still be available to me after August 10th. Therefore, if I am unable to gain course acceptance for Communication 408, I will have missed a propitious opportunity; 2.) The location of my (hopefully) future employment will be in San Louis Obispo County, roughly a five hour drive from San Diego State University. Because of this, I have already made arrangements to move to Morro Bay, which entailed paying a four hundred dollar security deposit/intent charge. Subsequently, I allowed my lease here in San Diego to expire in late July. With such a distance, it will be physically impossible for me to commute from Morro Bay to complete a second session summer class if such a need were to arise. This seems to leave the two options of either losing my four hundred dollar security deposit, or paying double rent for 2 months- both of which I cannot afford.

When I spoke to Dr. Lustig, he discussed his main concern with accepting Communication 408 as a satisfactory requisite. He noted that the general communication degree emphasizes interpersonal communication, making a course in mass communication deter from the overall emphasis that the degree designers wished to bestow upon the students that major in the field. It would only be logical to then ask: would allowing me to use a mass communication course to satisfy my requirements really detract from the interpersonal experience that is desired? I do not believe so, for several reasons. First, as a transfer student, I completed my lower division requirements at Saddleback University. I bring this up because there were some peculiarities with my transferring credits; instead of taking a course similar to Speech 103, I took a course entitled Speech 5: Interpersonal Communication. By taking a course specifically on par with the desires of the degree designers, I entered the university already having extra experience in interpersonal communication. Perhaps this might attribute for something, and dull the blow that not taking another interpersonal related course would land. Furthermore, there are other courses that I can still take that have no more relation to interpersonal communication than mass communication does, namely Communication 580: Communication and Politics. I cannot find the reason for prolonging my stay at the university (especially when there are such negative consequences) on account of a principle that can be bypassed regardless. While I can understand, and agree with the need to keep the original intent of the degree intact, I do believe I have adequately shown any concerns with disturbing the sanctity of the degree to be a relative non-issue.

Ultimately, the buck of responsibility stops with me. If I had been just a bit more scrupulous in organizing my schedule, the predicament I now find myself in would be nothing more than perhaps a late-night, post-graduating nightmare. But unfortunately, it is not, and unfortunately, I did make a mistake. I just hope that in consummation you will see, as do I, that the difference between taking Relational Communication 445 and Mass Communication 408 is not worth the cost of me missing a fantastic opportunity to begin my professional career.

Regards,

ah, the ‘e’ at the end of matthew e will forever remain a mystery…

here are my corrections/suggestions/edits, do with them what you will…

I added the last paragraph, b/c i really think you ought to talk to her about it in person, just to restate the case. also, i deleted a lot of shit. i’m not very good at editing like that; i just write what i think makes sense, i don’t really try to write how the other person writes. basically, i think the letter needed more paragraphs, with each paragraph presenting clearly what it was going to show… this was especially important at the beginning. also, i cut out the bit were you’re all about the buck stopping with you or whatever, because i think it was less professional. although it’s right, and you are responsible for not realizing that you took the wrong course, i think both you and the dean know that. restating it will just detract from the other solid points that you make (i.e. new job, relocation and previous course). overall, i really think you should call her office for an appointment to discuss the letter. even if she says no, it will show a lot. that’s the biggest thing that i can suggest.

Dear Dr. Helweg,

I am writing to request the acceptance of Communication 408 (Honors Mass Communication and Society) as a final 12 unit portion requirement of the 2002-2003 general communication degree. Due to the inability to complete the necessary course at the present time, as well as previously fulfilled a similar course at a different university, I feel that such an exception is warranted.

My degree requires Communication 445, which is offered this summer. Through an oversight on my part, I enrolled in the summer session of Communication 448 under the assumption that it would count toward satisfying the twelve unit section of my degree. If not for extenuating circumstances, when I realized that the class would not complete my degree and simply changed courses.

Unfortunately, it will be nigh impossible for me to carry out this plan, for the following the reasons, I will miss out on a valuable job offer and will have relocated from the San Diego area. In regards to the former, I have recently been hired at a brokerage firm, and am set to commence working there July 5th, with the start date simply non-negoitable. Further, the location of my future employment will be in San Louis Obispo County, roughly a five hour drive from San Diego State University. Because of this, I have already cemented living arrangements to move from this area to Morro Bay. Breaking such contracts would prove expensive and difficult.

When I spoke to Dr. Lustig, (?the program director? specificy) the main problem with accepting the present course I am in now is that it lacks the interpersonal communication that Communication 445 has. While I do not doubt this statement, I would like to point out that I have taken previous courses in interpersonal communication at Saddleback University. However, these courses were unable to be transfered, although I did complete a course entitled Speech 5: Interpersonal Communication. While I am not asking you to accept this course now, I am asking you to accept Communication 445 with the knowledge that I already have the background that Communication 4008 provides.

Such a decision, I hope, should be made in light of the fact that I am currently entering the workforce with the oppurtunity to begin a promising career that would not be made available if I do not graduate. While I respect the degree and have enjoyed studying at San Diego University, I feel that the acceptance of Communications 445 will ultimately provide me with equivalant learning expereince as well as employment benefits.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request. I do hope to speak with you further to discuss this manner, so I will be calling your office for an appointment tomorrow at 9. If you need to reach me, please call me at ---------- or email me, at ---------------. Thank you again for your time.

Regards,

Thanks a bunch Trix. You’ve written some very helpful comments. I’m almost embarrased by how mediocre my first was :blush: ! Thanks again. :smiley:

hey babe, that’s what i’m here for. i’m not sure if i’ll be able to have acess to the internet for the next mths or so, so unfortunately i can’t check over your finished draft. i can tell the issue is very important to you, and i know that eveything will look super keen once you’ve polished it up. good luck and all the best at your new job – but more importantly, CONGRATULATIONS ON GRADUATING!!! (as i’m sure you will, the dean simp[ly wouldn’t be able to resist your charm!)

Trix -

Your A Genius !!

Your Advice Is On The Money -

Keep It Terse - Trix -s There Not Just For Kids Anymore !! :smiley:

Thanks for the advice trix, as I did graduate (mostly on account of the letter). I incorporated the majority of your changes and made several subtle vocabulary changes, as some words/phrases were too aggressive. Thanks again for your help. :slight_smile:

Way to go Matthew E.! Congratulations!

Thanks, Marshall. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on graduating – I told myself I wasn’t going to crysniffle