what you're favorite quote?

Here’s mine:

“Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither in a wayward course over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair. I have sought love first because it brings ecstasy, ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. Love relieves loneliness, and in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of heaven. With equal passion, I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which numbers hold sway above the flux. Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, lead upward toward the heavens. But pity brought me back to Earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and a whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be.”

-Bertrand Russell

If you have a quote that’s only a couple lines or so, that’s fine, but I’m looking for something lengthy (otherwise, I’d probably just read all your sigs).

Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities — the political, the religious, the educational authorities — who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing — forming in our minds — their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

• Timothy Leary

[b]“Nothing is tragic. Everything is unreal”[/b]

"We must become the change we want to see." -Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

The ones in my signature of course!

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. Victor Borge :laughing:

Those are my principles, and if you don’t like them… I have others.
Groucho Marx

I grew up on the Marx Brothers movies, and never missed one: for I loved Groucho’s obnoxious wit that never got him into trouble - this is my favourite quote of his…

Not to wish to see too soon.–As long as one lives through an experience, one must surrender to the experience and shut one’s eyes instead of becoming an observer immediately. For that would disturb the good digestion of the experience: instead of wisdom one would acquire indigestion. -F.Nietzsche

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from all the oligarchies of the past, in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just round the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.- wikiquote-1984, 1984 by George Orwell

I can read this book everyday for as long as I live, already over 10 times.

“I saw a human pyramid once. It was very…unnessary. It did not need to exist.”

imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, ‘This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn’t it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!’ This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it’s still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything’s going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for. - Douglas Adams

That’s the best quote so far… but who said/wrote it?

I have two, so forgive me.

“Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” Job 1:21

“I am so stupid that I cannot understand philosophy; the antithesis of this is that philosophy is so clever that it cannot comprehend my stupidity. These antitheses are mediated in a higher unity; in our common stupidity.” -Kierkegaard

That is an absolutely brilliant quote.

Mitch Hedburg.

‘The challenge is to become homosexual.’ - Foucault

“There is no softer pillow than a clear conscience” French Proverb.

“Nature opens her eyes in man and notices that she is there.” - Friedrich Wilhelm J. Schelling.

[tab]Heidegger calls this Schellingian bright spot the open place that has opened up in man in the midst of the nature-like closed being.[/tab]

“The purpose and goal of every living thing is and has always been to Maximize the Integral of Joy Over Time - MIJOT” - James S Saint

It works. :smiley:

Another quote from James that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately:
“Devil’s Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise … until it is too late to choose otherwise.”

Perhaps more relevant than ever.