Two points

Do two points meeting, meet in the middle?

this question is vague. too vague. it’s unanswerable.

I don’t know, but two is not the largest number.

If two points meet in the middle, then the two points become one point. If you take a measurement of a line and measure the distance to the middle and mark that point, the middle will be one point and not two since there can only be one middle. The answer is confusing because it is assuming that there are two points to begin with, which is a contradiction. You cannot have two points where there is one point.

No, probably in some trashy dive bar.

1. Do these two points know each other?
  2. Are these points willing to compromise?

There are points on a line and points on graph. There are moral points and political points. And there are points made about practically everything else too.

And, for most, being in the middle is neither here nor there

There can only be one “middle”, but then there can be only one “any other position”.

how is it that you manage to say absolutely nothing when you speak? that’s a talent to be proud of, mr. jones

The middle of what? The distance separating them initially? What if one stays put and the other moves all the way? Then again, all motion is relative, right? So if one stays put and the other does all the moving, this is only true in one frame of reference. In other, it is the first that moves and the second that stays still. Yet, in a third, they both move towards each other and meet in the middle. There’s an infinity of reference frames to consider.

If there is only one point and not two points, how can that one point be a middle point? The middle of what?

Yes a “middle” isn’t assessible or real from only two points. It needs a third, external point to construct a middle.

Then the answer to your question is “it depends (on which reference frame the ‘meeting’ of the two points is seen relative to)”.

A middle can be constructed, but it is only identifiable as a middle from the construction. There is no innate “middle”.

JJ, as someone has already asked, the middle of what?

And what do you mean by ‘meet’? ‘Touch’? ‘Occupy the same space’?

(This is just a request for you to clarify your question.)

Like this:

_____

-two points meeting. Do the points meet in the middle? There is no middle between two points alone. The line above has no middle.

JJ, I asked you two separate questions. Which one is that the answer to?

I used the diagram

But you could use any side of a triangle, where the three vertices meet or are joined along the lines that mark the body of the triangle.

Eh? I didn’t ask what your answer was. I asked which question you were answering.

I’ll make it easier for you and ask the questions one by one.

You say ‘in the middle’. The middle of what? The middle of each point? The middle of the space between the two points? The phrase ‘in the middle’ is multiply ambiguous without some indication of what you’re talking about the middle of. In ordinary conversation, this will be understood. In the present context, I (and I’m assuming others) have no idea what you mean. You might as well start a discussion with ‘Is it big?’ and then imagine you’ve hit upon some profound truth because no-one can answer you.

The middle of a line. A line can have a beginning and an end. Below I draw a line:

________________________________ , here is a line. If you measure the middle of the line you have a point, which would be one point and not two. That was the point I was making.