back to the beginning: morality

Exactly.

And here I make the distinction between a God world and a No God world.

In a God world [as most construe God], we have both an omniscient and omnipotent entity. God knows all so there is no question of aborting the unborn, punching a baby or cooking and eating another human being and it not being known. And if God calls such behaviors Sins and has the power to punish those who commit them, there is no question of getting away with it.

But in a No God world, who or what is judging you on this side of the grave? It’s not for nothing some argue that “in the absence of God, all things are permitted”. Why? Because for any number of personal reasons rooted [in my view] in dasein, everything can be rationalized. And, given human history to date, not much hasn’t been.

Exactly.

But the moral and political objectivists among us insist that not only are there definitive answers in regard to conflicting goods, there must be. Why? Because they have already invented or discovered them. And some are philosophers who connect the dots between morality and reason. The deontologists among us. Some re God like Kant and others re No God like Ayn Rand.

I agree. I merely note at this point that even with science that functions in the either/or world, the either/or world itself is still a profoundly mysterious thing. This part:

“It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe.” nasa

And then “the gap”. The enormous chasm between what any of us as “infinitesimally tiny and insignificant specks of existence in the context of all there is” can know about human morality and how human morality itself factors into a comprehensive understanding of existence itself.

As for this…

…okay, let’s take whatever epistemic conclusions one has arrived at here out into the world of actual human interactions in which conflicting goods produce, among other things, newspaper headlines. The ones here in American for example where some suggest it is only a matter of time now before the Supremes make abortion illegal. Or to the abortion clinic where others argue that the reason abortions should be illegal is because they are immoral. Re God or No God.

Okay, but my main aim still revolves more around taking conclusions one arrives at in regard to “real philosophical discussions” out into the world where some, in regard to abortion, argue it must revolve around the rights of the unborn and others insist that, on the contrary, it must revolve around the rights of the pregnant woman.

Then the part where I root this in dasein and, as such, I eventually come around to this:

If I am always of the opinion that 1] my own values are rooted in dasein and 2] that there are no objective values “I” can reach, then every time I make one particular moral/political leap, I am admitting that I might have gone in the other direction…or that I might just as well have gone in the other direction. Then “I” begins to fracture and fragment to the point there is nothing able to actually keep it all together. At least not with respect to choosing sides morally and politically.

What’s that supposed to mean?

That we should shift the discussion to what philosophy really is in discussing morality? In fact, over the years, many of the arguments raised above come from articles written in Philosophy Now Magazine. I am merely reacting to them given the arguments I make in my signature threads here.

Some truths are necessary (must be the way that they are) and others are contingent (could have been otherwise). Some truths may be necessary but we don’t know that they are. It is the nature of such unknown truths, however, that if they turn out to be false, they are necessarily false. They can never be contingent truths. (Obviously, there are also unknown contingent truths, but things like Goldbach’s Conjecture are not among them.)

But there are also truths observed to universally hold, such as the nature of gravity. So far as we can tell, gravity behaves the same everywhere and has always done so. Does this make gravity a necessary truth about the world?

No, because the test, again, is if I can conceive a world in which gravity fails to hold without bringing about a logical contradiction. I can. Therefore, the behavior of gravity, its properties, do not constitute a necessary truth about the world. As a matter of fact, it has been demonstrated that if the universe had four spatial dimensions instead of three, gravity would be different — it would be described by an inverse-cube rather than an inverse square. In such a world, interestingly, there would be no solution to the two-body problem, which means that there could be no stable orbits and life as we know it would not exist.

From this it follows that while all necessary truths are universal (true in this world and at all possible worlds), not all universal truths are necessary. A universal contingent truth is true at this world but is false at other possible worlds.

Where does morality fit in to this scheme?

Is morality a necessary truth about the world? No. I can easily conceive worlds lacking morality, and do so without bringing about a logical contradiction.

Is, nonetheless, morality a universal, objectively observed to be the same everywhere, in the way that gravity is? Can morality, like gravity, be objectively and universally true, without being necessarily true?

No. In fact, obviously not! Were morality like gravity, we would observe all people behaving the same everywhere and at all times. This is so far the case from what we find that the point is hardly worth laboring. Think of the vast gulf between the moral values of secular humanism and the Taliban, for instance.

From all of this it follows that morality, or moral behavior, is neither necessary, or necessarily true depending on how the question is phrased, nor is it objectively true or universally true. The upshot is that the search for a necessary or at least universal morality is forlorn. To that extent, moral nihilism follows.

More later.

The Death of Morality
Moral Fictionalism
Richard Joyce on what happens when falsehoods are too useful to throw out.

Here of course it depends on how “technical” you insist on being in regard to how morality is defined. Is there a disciplined philosophical meaning that we should arrive at first? Were our ancestors prior to, say, the pre-Socratics in the West and their equivalent in the East not “sophisticated” or “civilized” enough to pin this down as we in the “modern world”.

On the other hand, there is the “post-modern” take on morality as well.

Me, I always start with this assumption…

If you are alone, isolated from all others [by choice or not] morality would seem to revolve around your relationship either with nature or with a belief in God. But let another human being come into your life [for whatever reason] and suddenly your wants and needs can be contested.

Right?

So, when that happens when do the “rules of behavior” between you officially become Morality?

Instead, in whatever manner you wish to call it, these rules will revolve “for all practical purposes” around one or another intertwining of might makes right, right makes might or moderation, negotiation and compromise.

Then all we need is the particular purpose and the context.

Then the part where human beings did come together to form extant communities:

Clearly, to the extent that you come to an agreement regarding the right and the wrong things to do in any particular community is the extent to which some behaviors will be rewarded and others punished. Call it morality, call it something else. My point is that this will ever always be a complex intertwining of genes and memes such that any actual individual will come to embody a set of value judgments rooted largely in dasein rather than in what philosophers or ethicists come up with in the way of so-called moral obligations. Then the part where “I” here becomes more or less fractured and fragmented.

Here though what exactly is meant by morality? It’s just a name game to some. In the modern world, choosing to be kind, refraining from harming others, paying our debts etc., is certainly within the general vicinity of what most would call morality. But what exactly has changed with the advent of philosophy itself?

Well, most of all what has changed is the advent of capitalism and the at times far more problematic interaction of “I” and “we”. Doing the right thing or getting ahead. The bottom line or the public good. Morality and political economy.

And then in our post-modern world, what about the sociopaths and the moral nihilists? Doesn’t it really come down to how each individual, given his or her own accumulation of personal experiences out in what can be any number of very different “particular worlds”, comes to think about what living in an “amoral society” potentially can mean?

I’d merely expand that to include moral objectivism of all kinds. “One of us” vs. “one of them” might revolve around God, sure. Or it might revolve around any other spiritual path. Or around a political ideology. Or around a “metaphysical”, deontological philosophy…from Immanuel Kant to Ayn Rand.

Or [and here’s where reams and reams of irony come into play] around one or another sacrosanct Scripture relating to the understanding of Nature itself. Though here some allow everyone to be on their own personal One True Path while others insist that there can be but a single solitary One True Path. And it is – gasp! – their own.

So, which path are you on?

How about defending it here on this thread?

I will return to my multi-part bit on morality upthread, but first just to drop in these, to pick up on the Arthur C. Clarke quote:

Satyr brings morality “down to earth”:

And:

Okay, so what of those who minimize or eliminate the biological consequences, and engage in these sex acts such that physical, biological pleasure is their sole motivation? Their sole objective?

And what of those who rationalize their behaviors in forcing these sex acts on others by convincing themselves that their own self-gratification is what Nature intends morality to be in a No God world.

Or those who make their objective one or another rendition of the Final Solution.

Or those who insist that only their own assessment of race and gender and sexual orientation are truly in sync with Nature understood objectively.

Bottom line: you either toe Satyr’s line there or you are greeted with this:

[b]Permissions in this forum: