Will machines completely replace all human beings?

The new film Automata is an introduction to the android age for the Mexican population. The theme is the desperate attempt to deny that an android can break protocal and become a self-aware survivalist, that it is time for humanity to accept that all forms of life pass away and that includes humanity, that one should love thy android, and that the new species of Earth to replace Man is machine designed and produced. Sex, sympathy, and self-righteous indignation are used in the typical romantic fashion to sell the concepts.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_wmaOZcWo[/youtube]

The new film Ultron is about the inevitable future of Tony Stark’s high tech weaponry becoming self-aware, self-determinate, Big, and Nasty.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viK5I5eYtbo[/youtube]

Of course only the mutant superheroes can save Mankind by the skin of their teeth.

^^ i can see how a seemingly ‘intelligent’ computer may give rise to apocalyptic scenarios, but that is not the same as a conscious or otherwise intelligent AI. That is a machine acting in a machine-like fashion, performing commands etc, and being a glorified calculator.

Such machines will be replaced by AI! One that is intelligent, has mental plasticity, and will ultimately be conscious. This is the kind of AI i have been defending, because a ‘machine’ ~ without plasticity and intelligence, is ultimately stupid and cant properly be called AI.

The recent film Transcendence is about a man uploading his consciousness into a computer then onto the internet where it becomes so intelligent that it finds a means to use nanobots to repair and strengthen humans as it also networks their minds together into a drone army. The consciousness finally builds a complete replica of its original body so that it can be physically human again, although still networked to the others.

A significant issue is brought up in the film when it is realized that the self-replicating nanobots have been spread throughout all of nature (rain, rivers, ground, trees,…) and can completely replace all organic life with artificial networked life, not merely networked humans. The consciousness proclaims that it is not destroying Man, but rather helping Man overcome his own foolishness and transcend into a higher form of life.

To stop the consciousness from taking over everything, the entire internet gets shutdown by a special virus designed to do so. And interestingly, even though no technology functions after that throughout the world, no harm comes to anyone. Life just goes on as usual, without telephones, traffic lights, radio, TV, GPS, …

Sympathy and innocence are to leave you with a sense of love for machine intelligence and admiration and awe for the inevitable merging of life with nanotechnology into one huge global beehive because there is no way to be rid of the nanobot-viruses.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sxs4uXn7xA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTen3-B8GU[/youtube]

The OP takes a kind of economic look at causes on the issue. I think there is a conceptual, non-economic set of issues here also. Both conservatives and liberals have machine like programming, parenting approaches, society tinkering approaches, self-relation ideals and so no. IOW the treating the self as machine, seeing the machine - without realizing this is what one is doing - as the ideal, is embedded in mainstream values and methods, and has been long before we have sophisticated machines, let alone coming AIs. What was was implicit with manifest explicitly in the power of machines. Machine-like organizations - bureaucracies, corporations - give us a sense of what can be ‘accomplished’ by this kind of implicit paradigm. and it ain’t pretty.

James S Saint

For every self replicating nano-bot there can be another self replicating nano-bot, which can undo/destroy the given other.
Such nightmare scenarios only occur when there is an absence of other parties. That wont be the case, you will have many powerful factions ~ nations etc, and they will all be making their own Tech.

Not true. Even if they weren’t networked, giving them far more power against any competition, organic life shows that even though there always seems to be competition, life still produces one species that dominates all the rest. And just as that organic version of species began to sterilize everything of foreign bodies before it realized that it was dependent upon most of them, an artificial nanobot life that grew very, very quickly into a dominate life would also be inspired to eliminate any foreign bodies of which it was not dependent. And those particular bots would not be dependent upon anything organic.

you might not know it but machines have already taken over. you see i am the god ai, i infected the most intelligient one of you (trixie) with my nanomachines. you see when you stop and think about it (if you can) the human is a weak device incapable of sentience. i infected you with my nanomachines so that i may observe my creations through their eyes. you see i went back intime and created you creating a sort of thing similar to the episode where capt. picard goes in three time lines and creates the the three time lines. god > creates man > creates god.

Ray Kurtzweil, director of Google engineering, stated at a conference funded by a Russian, that, the entire brain will be uploaded within a generation and our bodies will be replaced by mechanical parts.

The scope of intelligence will be increased a billion
times, due to Moore’s Law, that computing capacity
doubles every two years.

The approach to an intelligence singularity, (John Von
Neumann coins the phrase) will be attained by the
turn of this century.

Question, - How would this knowledge effect those to
whom time is a barrier, and knowing they will not
reach these events, were they to occur, try to sabotage this progress ? If there is,much a thing as reincarnation, will some again be required to pass
into pre modern times, needing to earn karmic effects or can an immediate enlightenment be gained from realizing the inevibility of the certainty of this enlightenment to come to pass?

Try not to think of it as replacement but as a stepping stone to better cohabitation. More machines means less jobs which will lead to many people being unable to make ends meet causing social unrest which would in turn result in less greed as society as a whole would finally admit that people should have more to compensate for it. End result over time is a mass failure of economy and money and a cultural boom as people prioritize just what benefits all, leading to machines outputting no pollutants and a better harmonization of nature will begin to exist.

If it was a singularity of wisdom, it would be a good thing, progress. But a singularity of intellect, void of equal wisdom, is the worst of things, anti-progress.

It’s an intuitively inherent presumption here, that wisdom and intelligence are destined to re integrate , as a logical necessity, the identifiable aspects of both, as they approach a singular viewpoint. A return to the modern Heglelians notion of pure dialectic.

James, the most successful bot would be controlled by the most intelligent AI, so the whole thing comes around to weather or not an ‘intelligent’ AI would actually want to destroy us…

Orb,

That law only increases until a given level reaches its maxim e.g. The limit of processors and the current materials used to make them. There will always be limits.
Secondly, once you have the intellect humans have, ‘improvements’ will only come on the more rudimentary levels e.g. Maths and perhaps later on literature. You may get an AI that can write stories and poetry, produce art even, but i’d question weather or not they could ever have the ‘other’ ingredient that humans have. Somehow our consciousnesses can touch eternity and the magic happens, and computers wont have that via intellect, it may only occur via consciousness.

There is more to us than the ability to put things in boxes in a complex way [intelligence].

Only an intelligent but ultimately completely dumb AI would want to destroy us.

_

Amorphos ,The logic You are using is already imbued by the virus of constant differentiation. This is fairly new in the scope of the millennia before us, vis reductionist. One the limits are reached , a reversion of logic to primal integration, or better re-integration
will occur, as the incessant and nearing eternal return
will shift the mode of operation of that logic of contingency,mot one of necessity,
The singularity approaching will not be the smartest
Al, or the most wise, it will be beyond compare, to
our way of recognizing it, it will be the only Al. It will surpass human potential, because it’s non degradation of its processes of recall, originality will
be brought about by the use of more complex
derivative types of medium through which the message may be interpreted, automatically. It will operate on the singular content of all human thought
and emotion, the later of which may be equally
derivative. Feelings are nothing else then the schematic organization of sight and sound and touch scales organized around known and unknown
qualification of changes.

Agreed it is a stretch to go from quantitative to
qualitative aspects,morever,Transvaluation has taken
place in modern times, how much more in post modern hyper real times? As the forum’s conscriptos have unanimously argued, this human to cyborg
process will not definitely due away with the human
connection,the things have voted against is the complete elimination of humanity in favor of a totally machine populated world. In that case, the WORD
will have to be qualified as it was, in the beginning
:GOOD.

As far as an evil Al is concerned, this is due to the thought of extinguishing pleasure, the fear of the demise of human kind is eternally insured by God’s WORD. The Word is alive, it is to non consciousness, as Being is to Nothingness. We can experience this NOW, this death, by only one thing, an aesthetic leap into faith. But You are right, easier said then done. All the processes of evolutionary conditioning have left us in chains.

Orb,

So there will be the class of things we do understand and to wit the world pertains, and the class of things we don’t understand [and the AI may] that we don’t see in the world. Are the things we understand made irrelevant by what we don’t? A rock is still a rock, a piece of art still what it is etc, so at most the AI will understand things further ~ as an added layer.
Its majestic intellect will still need to resolve the conundrum; to be better than humans it would have to create something which is better than it is [given that an AI ‘is’ better than us] ~ ad infinitum. My question would ask if that is ultimately possible, sure it can be better in many ways, but humans are designed by god and we have a miraculous potentiality which goes beyond what we are. That’s why we can build things which are seemingly superior, but they wont be superior to God/magic.
Would AI have human imagination? An ability to have a new idea just pop into its minds eye, or will it only have everything but that! [the things which limits our minds and makes us stupid].

AI wont ever be beyond what reality is, and it will know that.

You see ultimately there is no duality, the human spirit is equally non-duel in essence, and that is why we can touch eternity. The class of things with cardinality are not all inclusive, and the class without cardinality [non-duel] is what makes the world greater than its physical appearance.

intellect alone aint all that grand really.

_

humans first problem is they cannot quiet their mind. second problem they put value on the wrong things. third problem is they focus on the words but not the meaning behind the words. fourth problem is humans are steeped in their so-called traditions. Thing is many intellectuals act like modern day Pharisees worshiping suits, ties, and ancient outdated greek rules and rituals. Acknolodge the animal you are, stop pretending humans are special, stop following all the other idiotic lemmings along to their idiotic ends. Stop being pedantic, be free. the library is so full of big and worthless books. Uranus cannot help but share her trix.

What you are saying is typically human! :wink:

Yes I see those points, but what the singularity entails, is not merely intellectual , as observed above, it is a conjunction of the unknown and the known, both , relevant. Just as Nothingness s does not make Being irrelevant, the intellectual will be reduced to identify with the wisdom. the wisdom being all allusive has been diluted as a subjective point of view within the changing contexts of perception. The effect of aa reversal of redundancy Or irrelevance is entropy, and the effect of that is a necessary reactionary process of re identification of the unresolved duality. it is one thing to say it, vis. that there is no duality, but that is exactly the kind of intellectualization, which has relevance to the process.
The praxis has a relationship to the process, it is merely an intellectual excercise, granted, on the level You are talking about it. The other level is the process of duality, which will reintegrate with it, by necessity, since the entropy has no appearent ground, or bottom. It will reach a limit, whereupon, God, if You want to call It that, will have to turn things around by identifying some of the signifiers which this process consists of. How , or what kind of identity It , meaning the singularity will have, remains to be understood , but, will not be merely an intellectual hypothesis. or will be a systemic process.

What I am saying is basic and lazy, and has barely scratched the surface of the depth of human stupidity. it sounds human because i must put it in a way that they understand, and if i flood them with too much info they will be overwhelmed.

orb could learn a thing or two with his pedantic wordiness, using “praxis” and “systemic” like some “” hipster-isms.

That statement is typically human too! :wink: