Will machines completely replace all human beings?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Thu May 08, 2014 1:21 am

@ Moreno and Obe

Should I put the name „Moreno“ into the column in which the name „Obe“ is and the name „Obe“ into the column in which the name „Moreno“ is?   :)
Last edited by Arminius on Thu May 08, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Kriswest » Thu May 08, 2014 2:00 am

After 15 pages and I have little time to read it all. Has the issue of what drives a logical programmed machine to become illogical and destroy humans? If machines became close to sentient or sentient, the most reasonable course of action would be to protect the species.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20554
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Thu May 08, 2014 2:09 am

Moreno wrote:So that was me not granting that this obsolescence is real. I am not simply an engineering event. Not remotely. Someone may Think of me that way and may label me obsolete, but that is subjective.

If not "someone", but many people as a majority think of you that way and label you obsolete, what would you say then?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Orbie » Thu May 08, 2014 2:32 am

maybe the confusion surrounds the meaning of "obsolescence". A person may not be obsolete as a machine would, his obsolescence may be a factor of being displaced, made irrelevant in a particular or general context.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Thu May 08, 2014 3:47 am

obe wrote:maybe the confusion surrounds the meaning of "obsolescence". A person may not be obsolete as a machine would, his obsolescence may be a factor of being displaced, made irrelevant in a particular or general context.

There is only a little step from being obsolete or being displaced to being replaced.

If humans want to replace themselves - for example by animals, by machines, adult humans by childish humans, male humans by female humans, ... and so on ..., and at last all humans by machines -, they want it partly, but at last they will probably want it wholy. In addition: We nust not forget that it is not clear, what humans really want because they have no free will, but only a relatively free will.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Moreno » Thu May 08, 2014 4:55 am

Arminius wrote:
Moreno wrote:So that was me not granting that this obsolescence is real. I am not simply an engineering event. Not remotely. Someone may Think of me that way and may label me obsolete, but that is subjective.

If not "someone", but many people as a majority think of you that way and label you obsolete, what would you say then?
To whom?
I mean, in a sense this is a problem. That doesn't mean I am obsolete. I mean a majority seems to Think owning the right brand of _______________ makes them more intereting, cool, sexy, successful, important and even, amazingly, individual. That doesn't mean that is true in any objective sense.

Anyone saying that we, homo sapians, are about to become obsolete, pretty much as to be a theist. I mean how would they know what is valuable ultimately. So I probed his post to see - is this person going to actually say there are objective values. My guess is this does not fit well with his system. If it does, however, then we have a theist or some other person with objective values, who Thinks that Machines can replace all of value even in himself and his kids. That's a very odd theist.
User avatar
Moreno
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10305
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Thu May 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Moreno wrote:
Arminius wrote:
Moreno wrote:So that was me not granting that this obsolescence is real. I am not simply an engineering event. Not remotely. Someone may Think of me that way and may label me obsolete, but that is subjective.

If not "someone", but many people as a majority think of you that way and label you obsolete, what would you say then?
To whom?
I mean, in a sense this is a problem. That doesn't mean I am obsolete. I mean a majority seems to Think owning the right brand of _______________ makes them more intereting, cool, sexy, successful, important and even, amazingly, individual. That doesn't mean that is true in any objective sense.

Anyone saying that we, homo sapians, are about to become obsolete, pretty much as to be a theist. I mean how would they know what is valuable ultimately. So I probed his post to see - is this person going to actually say there are objective values. My guess is this does not fit well with his system. If it does, however, then we have a theist or some other person with objective values, who Thinks that Machines can replace all of value even in himself and his kids. That's a very odd theist.

It was merely a question, Moreno.

Not the only one, but at least one of the main reasons why human beings become obsolete are e.g those human beings who are saying that human beings do not become obsolete. The other human beings are either a minority which wants human beings to become obsolte or a majority which do not wants human beings to become obsolete.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby James S Saint » Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 pm

As long as the world is being designed and redesigned, people are inherently creating obsolescence of people (depopulation).
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Lev Muishkin » Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 pm

James S Saint wrote:As long as the world is being designed and redesigned, people are inherently creating obsolescence of people (depopulation).


There are more people, not fewer.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Orbie » Thu May 08, 2014 11:35 pm

Depopulation may not exclusively consist of actual statistics on diminishing populations, but may also include those who have become socially obsolete : the homeless, the institutionalized, the marginalized. Census takers fail to account for those type of people as viable, in any study.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Moreno » Thu May 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Arminius wrote:It was merely a question, Moreno.
And that was merely my answer...though perhaps i did read something into it that was not there.

Not the only one, but at least one of the main reasons why human beings become obsolete are e.g those human beings who are saying that human beings do not become obsolete. The other human beings are either a minority which wants human beings to become obsolte or a majority which do not wants human beings to become obsolete.
I still want to ask 'obsolete to whom'? or for whom? Not even getting into the issue of humans being look at only as means (again, by whom?)
User avatar
Moreno
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10305
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Thu May 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Depopulation takes place in the area of the Western culture and in some other areas, but not in Africa, in Arabia and some other areas. So the number of the world population is currently still high, although it has been sinking. So the number of the world population will sooner or later also be as low as the number of the Western population. It is merely a question of time, when the world depopulation will be noticeable even for those who are curently unable to notice it.

Depopulation policy refers currently to the Western population, but will also refer to the world population as soon as possible.
Last edited by Arminius on Fri May 09, 2014 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Historyboy » Fri May 09, 2014 12:46 am

That is again a futile assumption!

Compare the density of the Chinese and of the Mongols ... They are the same race but the Chinese were under the Aryan cultural influence, they have kept the density also after the Aryans have perished.

Mongols and Chinese and all other spiritless races don't know what decadence is and thus they can't lose their numbers.
Life is will to power. - Nietzsche; Culture is and gives power and strength - Vollgraff; The only attribute of the mind is that he is powerful. - Aristotle; Mind is dragging us into the future and the heart into the present. - Aristotle; Those who can foresee deeds are born to rule and those who need to do them are born as slaves. - Aristotle; So, what is an aristocrat? He needs to be powerful, that means to be excellent in foreseeing things! - Me; The highest honor belongs to that one who is able to predict the moves of the enemy commander. - Machiavelli; If you want that what you have inherited to possess, you need to deserve it. - Goethe; Culture, which means exactly learning to calculate, learning to think causally, learning to prevent, learning to believe in necessity. - Nietzsche. [Autumn 1887, 10 [21]]; Morals in the narrow sense is the belief that the deeds of the ancestors will be transferred to the descendants. - Nietzsche
Historyboy
Thinker
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 am

So, James, you are right.

James S Saint wrote:As long as the world is being designed and redesigned, people are inherently creating obsolescence of people (depopulation).

The depopulation has been starting for so long, but the idiotic people have not been being able to notice it. And with the depopulation the stultification has been starting simultaneously.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Historyboy » Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 am

It lasts 500 years. Don't expect from the plebeians to get that, they hardly know their grandfathers.
Life is will to power. - Nietzsche; Culture is and gives power and strength - Vollgraff; The only attribute of the mind is that he is powerful. - Aristotle; Mind is dragging us into the future and the heart into the present. - Aristotle; Those who can foresee deeds are born to rule and those who need to do them are born as slaves. - Aristotle; So, what is an aristocrat? He needs to be powerful, that means to be excellent in foreseeing things! - Me; The highest honor belongs to that one who is able to predict the moves of the enemy commander. - Machiavelli; If you want that what you have inherited to possess, you need to deserve it. - Goethe; Culture, which means exactly learning to calculate, learning to think causally, learning to prevent, learning to believe in necessity. - Nietzsche. [Autumn 1887, 10 [21]]; Morals in the narrow sense is the belief that the deeds of the ancestors will be transferred to the descendants. - Nietzsche
Historyboy
Thinker
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Moreno » Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 am

Arminius wrote:Depopulation takes place in the area of the Western culture and in some other areas, but not in Africa, in Arabia and some other areas. So the number of the world population is currently still high, although it has been sinking. So the number of the world population will sooner or later also be as low as the number of the Western population. It is merely a question of time, when the world depopulation will be noticeable even for those who are curently unable to notice it.

Depopulation policy refers currently to the Western population, but will also refer to the world population as soon as possible.
The population in the West is still going up.
http://www.census.gov/popclock/ It may be going up slower than it was, but it is still going up.
User avatar
Moreno
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10305
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Fri May 09, 2014 1:29 am

Moreno wrote:
Arminius wrote:Depopulation takes place in the area of the Western culture and in some other areas, but not in Africa, in Arabia and some other areas. So the number of the world population is currently still high, although it has been sinking. So the number of the world population will sooner or later also be as low as the number of the Western population. It is merely a question of time, when the world depopulation will be noticeable even for those who are curently unable to notice it.

Depopulation policy refers currently to the Western population, but will also refer to the world population as soon as possible.
The population in the West is still going up.
http://www.census.gov/popclock/ It may be going up slower than it was, but it is still going up.

The US population is not the whole Western population, Moreno. And do you know where those people are who let the current US population grow?

Those people are Latin American aboriginals. And do Latin American aboriginals really belong to the Western population?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Moreno » Fri May 09, 2014 3:31 am

Arminius wrote:
Moreno wrote:
Arminius wrote:Depopulation takes place in the area of the Western culture and in some other areas, but not in Africa, in Arabia and some other areas. So the number of the world population is currently still high, although it has been sinking. So the number of the world population will sooner or later also be as low as the number of the Western population. It is merely a question of time, when the world depopulation will be noticeable even for those who are curently unable to notice it.

Depopulation policy refers currently to the Western population, but will also refer to the world population as soon as possible.
The population in the West is still going up.
http://www.census.gov/popclock/ It may be going up slower than it was, but it is still going up.

The US population is not the whole Western population, Moreno. And do you know where those people are who let the current US population grow?

Those people are Latin American aboriginals. And do Latin American aboriginals really belong to the Western population?
Well, they were here first as far as the Americas. I also do not think you are correct either about it just being the US or that the only increase is latin americans coming into the US. Do you have some source for this?

And is this really depopulation run by nefarious Illuminati, or what happens when people are not going to lose a third of their children and they need a bunch to run the farm or whatever?

As far as aboriginals as Westerners, I don't give a fuck. In travels from the Midwest white parts of the US to Latin parts down into Latin America itself, no question I prefer the latter as fellow community members. They actual saw a human and not an idea. I mean, I don't get along well with most humans, so it's like any group offers me many people I would like to be close to, but sometimes in the US Midwest I would feel like I was in stepford towns or mechanical villages. I am not being critical. I am speaking about how empties the eyes and towns felt. Plastic people.
User avatar
Moreno
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10305
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Sat May 10, 2014 2:04 am

Moreno wrote:Well, they were here first as far as the Americas. I also do not think you are correct either about it just being the US or that the only increase is latin americans coming into the US. Do you have some source for this?

Yes, of course.

Moreno wrote:I don't give a fuck.

Okay, but that was not my question.

Moreno wrote:Plastic people.

Because you "just don't quite know what happens when nearly eveyrone is no longer quite present at any time"? => #
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Moreno » Sat May 10, 2014 3:24 am

Arminius wrote:I don't give a fuck.

Okay, but that was not my question.
OH, but I answered your question.

Moreno wrote:Plastic people.

No, they were plastic people long before the new media. There are just more of them now.
User avatar
Moreno
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10305
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby lizbethrose » Sat May 10, 2014 4:55 am

Just a couple of quick questions:
How will the machines reproduce? Will they build newer and better models of themselves? If so, what'll happen when there are no more resources for them to use?

What happens when there's no more work for the machines? Some human jobs have been replaced with robotics, but production is still for human consumption. Production would have to be end products for use by the machines--spare parts? But, if the machines reproduce by building newer and better products for their own consumption, couldn't there come a time when, perhaps, machines wouldn't need spare parts?--When the machines would continue to exist for eternity with no purpose? What happens then? If there were no humans, there would be no need for machines.

Enjoy :)
"Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
— Lewis Carroll
lizbethrose
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3556
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby James S Saint » Sat May 10, 2014 2:00 pm

The new Robocop film displays a pretty accurate depiction of how the media plays into converting the population into cyborg/robot lovers as the entire police force is being replaced by robots and drones. Very many other films, such as "I, Robot" , are psychologically designed to instill a love for androids.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby phyllo » Sat May 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Robocop is a cyborg and he destroys the robots.

IOW, the human is superior to the mechanical.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12121
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby James S Saint » Sat May 10, 2014 2:38 pm

phyllo wrote:Robocop is a cyborg and he destroys the robots.

IOW, the human is superior to the mechanical.

Not in the film. His brain is augmented so as to automatically shut off the human in him while he is in defense mode. Before they did that, he could not compete.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby phyllo » Sat May 10, 2014 3:02 pm

He's programmed but he overcomes parts of it and his humanity reappears. That happens in both the 1987 and 2014 versions.
Alex leaves, but then overrides his programming and detours from his current case to go to his house. He reviews the CCTV video of his accident and realizes that David saw his body and was traumatized. While watching the CCTV footage Alex overrides the programming in his brain and miraculously raises his dopamine levels back to normal, reviving his lost emotions towards his family.

. Alex's programming prevents him from arresting Sellars as he is also wearing a Red Asset wrist band, but he manages to overcome it with his own will and shoots, killing him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop_%282014_film%29
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12121
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron