The Meaning of Life. Does life make sense?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Does life make sense?

Yes.
63%
No.
21%
I don't know.
17%

Total votes : 24

Re: The Meaning of Life. Does life make sense?

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Fri May 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Only_Humean wrote:Apologies for missing the tantrum, RF has received a second warning and a day ban.

That's alright, you're not the only one in the world with a small penis. Take comfort in that, if nothing else. 'I am not alone in the kingdom of small penises.' You shouldn't let personal bias to guide you into pulling the trigger and you shouldn't use power and authority to make your penis look bigger than it is. Some will like it just the way it is. Some women like cute, little things.
(Reality isn't so kind. Everything doesn't work out the way you want it to. That's why...) As long as you don’t get your hopes up, you can take anything... You feel less pain.

(Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.)

What do you think? To tell you the truth... I worry too much about what others think of me. I hate that side of me... That's why I didn't want anyone to get to know me. I wanted to hide that side of myself. I hate it.
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Sat May 21, 2016 2:50 am

Random Factor wrote:Some will like it just the way it is. Some women like cute, little things.

Although you...
... not being one of them.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sat May 21, 2016 2:57 am

Well, that certainly escalated quickly......
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli
Nihilistic Mystic And Hermit

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sat May 21, 2016 11:34 am

James S Saint wrote:
Random Factor wrote:Some will like it just the way it is. Some women like cute, little things.

Although you...
... not being one of them.

Mine is in the midrange of penises. Not too small, not too big. I have nothing to be insecure or cocky about.
(Reality isn't so kind. Everything doesn't work out the way you want it to. That's why...) As long as you don’t get your hopes up, you can take anything... You feel less pain.

(Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.)

What do you think? To tell you the truth... I worry too much about what others think of me. I hate that side of me... That's why I didn't want anyone to get to know me. I wanted to hide that side of myself. I hate it.
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Tue May 24, 2016 12:40 am

James S Saint wrote:The thought that "if people didn't die, the Earth would become overcrowded" is just another new-age terrorism. As with most animals, if people stopped creating suffering and death, people would also stop reproducing so much. The urge to reproduce is enhanced by anxiety. Hell is where most of the fuckers are, not Heaven. 8)

Creating suffering and death must be stopped as well as creating envy and revenge.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby James S Saint » Tue May 24, 2016 1:05 am

Arminius wrote:
James S Saint wrote:The thought that "if people didn't die, the Earth would become overcrowded" is just another new-age terrorism. As with most animals, if people stopped creating suffering and death, people would also stop reproducing so much. The urge to reproduce is enhanced by anxiety. Hell is where most of the fuckers are, not Heaven. 8)

Creating suffering and death must be stopped as well as creating envy and revenge.

.. OR ELSE!!! :angry-fire:

..snicker..
8-[

Random Factor wrote:Mine is in the midrange of penises. Not too small, not too big. I have nothing to be insecure or cocky about.

Unfortunately it isn't reality that dictates insecurity.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else

It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".

Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:12 am

Another stupid and pointless ILP thread bites the dust.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby Arminius » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:11 am

Life resists entropy. Otherwise it would not be capable of self-preservation and would decay, thus die. Self-preservation means preservation of the competences during the actual life, whereas reproduction means preservation of the competences beypond the own life. There are three evolution principles: (1) variation, (2) reproduction, (3) reproduction interest. Living beings get recources out of their environment in order to reproduce their competences by the resources of the environment, thus to preserve (conserve) and renew their competences. So they strive to reproduce their competences.

According to this the meaning of life is the avoidance of the loss of the competences.

If you have the impression that you are not needed anymore, then you have the impression of the loss of your competences.

Note: "Competences" means more than"fitness", it is more like "capital", "power", "acceptance", "appreceation".
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:33 am

Your post doesn't make any sense...

So would you say that the 13 families, trillionairess...are preserving their competences by being inbred?

I think the word you want is "complexities". Life tries to to preserve its "complexities" by reproduction, not it's capital, acceptance, or appreciation.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:58 am

Yes.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby James S Saint » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:21 am

James S Saint wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Youre acting like we pass on "capital", "power", "acceptance", and "appreceation" through our DnA.

He is referring to your "abilities" ("competencies", "skills", "talents", "social prospects"). Some are passed on through DNA. Some are taught, trained, or conditioned. Any can be taken away.
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:02 pm

James S Saint wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Youre acting like we pass on "capital", "power", "acceptance", and "appreceation" through our DnA.

He is referring to your "abilities" ("competencies", "skills", "talents", "social prospects"). Some are passed on through DNA. Some are taught, trained, or conditioned.

Exactly.

It is based on information.

There are many different information memories (storages), two of them are biological (genetical and neurological) - genes and memes (short-term and long-term)-, all others are cultural (artificial) like all culturally made things, for example books / libraries, pictures, photographs, audiotapes, videotapes, memories of computer, robots, androids.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:Life makes sense to me.

It didnt always as much. I had to make it make sense. I had to make sense of it. But it wasnt that hard once I understood that I was the one who was going to have to do it.

That tells me that life is good for making sense of.

So yes, life makes sense, with a little help from the living.

Yes, but life, being life, is flux. How can it always make sense to someone, depending on the circumstances and what comes to one.
True, we ourselves have to try to make sense of things, give or find meaning to them but there are things which happen that cannot and do not make sense.

I think that there are times when we have to just realize that it can't always make sense and if we find it does, we're not really looking objectively - perhaps just rationalizing.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Pandora » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Yes, but life, being life, is flux.
And what happens to a word when it's repeated over and over again, like a mantra, especially when it is used as a fixed object to describe something dynamic? It may become catchy, but over time, it also loses its original meaning. What airs and status does it acquire as it slowly fades, and what does it end up representing in the end, and to whom?
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:59 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:I think that there are times when we have to just realize that it can't always make sense and if we find it does, we're not really looking objectively - perhaps just rationalizing.

..or vsvrsa. 8)
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Pandora wrote:
And what happens to a word when it's repeated over and over again, like a mantra, especially when it is used as a fixed object to describe something dynamic? It may become catchy, but over time, it also loses its original meaning. What airs and status does it acquire as it slowly fades, and what does it end up representing in the end, and to whom?

Are you talking about the word "flux" Pandora?
I don't think that it is so much about the word, itself, but of its influence and effect on the person.
Flux, flow - they're words which conjure up imagery and that imagery may become the person - the person may become more flow, more fluidy lol less like someone who's mind is written in stone or who is not flexible.
I think that if you listen, holding the word flux flow or any word which has meaning to you can speak to you in a sense.

If we think of the word "light" or hold the image of a flickering, burning candle in our minds what do you think can happen? I suppose it might also depend on the person. If we look out at the moon in a night sky or watch the stars, what is capable of happening to the person? I think that they can take on the attributes, qualia of what they're looking at. That's why it's important to choose just what we want to look at.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Pandora » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:41 pm

Pandora wrote:

Are you talking about the word "flux" Pandora?
I don't think that it is so much about the word, itself, but of its influence and effect on the person.
Flux, flow - they're words which conjure up imagery and that imagery may become the person - the person may become more flow, more fluidy lol less like someone who's mind is written in stone or who is not flexible.
Will he? Okay, just nitpicking on words alone, which word, by itself, does strike you as more representative of the concept of fluidity, flux or fluid? And why use one over the other, and repeatedly so? Some words are overused and to the point where they acquire a life of their own, they now have more ring than a substance. Take the popular word nihilism, for example -to a believer, the word nihilism means a world view void of God, so a word, a phrase, or statement, if used and overused repeatedly, becomes vulnerable to hijacking, and can end up meaning anything a person wants. What I'm really doing here is pointing to a potential carelessness in using words.

If we think of the word "light" or hold the image of a flickering, burning candle in our minds what do you think can happen? I suppose it might also depend on the person.
Right, and what does light represent to a believer. Undying faith? Hope?
If we look out at the moon in a night sky or watch the stars, what is capable of happening to the person?
And what will the believer likely see in a night sky? An affirmation of his beliefs.
I think that they can take on the attributes, qualia of what they're looking at.
Or vice-versa. I'm referring to the dangers of confirmation bias where a person sees what he wants to see and not even realizing it.
That's why it's important to choose just what we want to look at.
I would say more so how because, by seeing alone, some people see things into it also.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:02 am

Arminius wrote:
James S Saint wrote:

He is referring to your "abilities" ("competencies", "skills", "talents", "social prospects"). Some are passed on through DNA. Some are taught, trained, or conditioned.

Exactly.

It is based on information.

There are many different information memories (storages), two of them are biological (genetical and neurological) - genes and memes (short-term and long-term)-, all others are cultural (artificial) like all culturally made things, for example books / libraries, pictures, photographs, audiotapes, videotapes, memories of computer, robots, androids.

If you consider this, especially the tendency of each organism (living being) and each super-organism to avoid the loss of competences, then many current problems, also and especially the feminism or the plunder and destruction of our planet, can be understood and explained in an easier way.

It is a systemic evolution theory or philosophy.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:55 am

Arminius wrote:If you consider this, especially the tendency of each organism (living being) and each super-organism to avoid the loss of competences, then many current problems, also and especially the feminism or the plunder and destruction of our planet, can be understood and explained in an easier way.

It is a systemic evolution theory or philosophy.

If you meant that the way that I suspect, you are very right. The focus upon sustaining and/or maintaining rather than upon aggressing, alters perspective and incentive. Although there are a few situations wherein one must aggress in order to merely maintain.

The truth is that people are only inspired to aggress when inspired from others, as often their "friends" as their "enemies". And that too is a old philosophy concerning how to get Man to make "progress". There was always a better way. It merely wasn't discovered in time to prevent gross aggression from becoming the normal and expected (aka "wars").
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:05 pm

The meaning of life can or not make sense, depending on whether it's perceived, understood or experienced. Perceiving it does not guarantee that it makes sense, unless it's experienced and finally understood within the context it is bracketed.
Meno_
breathless

Postby Arminius » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:24 pm

jerkey wrote:The meaning of life can or not make sense, depending on whether it's perceived, understood or experienced. Perceiving it does not guarantee that it makes sense, unless it's experienced and finally understood within the context it is bracketed.

- How does one know whether that experience and understanding refer to that meaning or not?
- Which context do you exactly mean?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:32 pm

In it's bracketed existential sense of the most probable reference. This most probable meaning is attained by a process of eliminating all others, starting with the least probable. If all others can be eliminated except the most probable , then it's meaning is almost certain within that context,, or, situation.
Meno_
breathless

Postby Arminius » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:47 pm

jerkey wrote:In it's bracketed existential sense of the most probable reference. This most probable meaning is attained by a process of eliminating all others, starting with the least probable. If all others can be eliminated except the most probable , then it's meaning is almost certain within that context,, or, situation.

I guess you mean a subjective experience and understanding of a certain situation that is considered as being the said sense. Is that right?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:14 am

Arminius wrote:
jerkey wrote:In it's bracketed existential sense of the most probable reference. This most probable meaning is attained by a process of eliminating all others, starting with the least probable. If all others can be eliminated except the most probable , then it's meaning is almost certain within that context,, or, situation.

I guess you mean a subjective experience and understanding of a certain situation that is considered as being the said sense. Is that right?

Yes but ! more: meaning becomes certain if the sense of the experience and the context (situation) are most probable .

For example put a person into a situation,. about which most people in that situation would feel
predictably, then the !meaning of that sense of feeling would become certain knowledge. The least possible meanings are eliminated to gain knowledge.

Life !always makes sense out of the most probable situation
and it most likely known reaction to that sense.

Even the most senseless and confusing life can make sense if taken from the knowledge of a most likely and probable response to such a situation. Then it becomes rational and meaningful. The subjectivity has become one with its object and it becomes meaningful, and makes sense.
Meno_
breathless

Postby Arminius » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 am

If you asked a wolf whether it makes sense to have offspring and this wolf could speak, what would the wolf answer?
If you asked a dog whether it makes sense to have offspring and this dog could speak, what would the dog answer?
Arminius
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy