Something Instead of Nothing

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Something Instead of Nothing

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 pm

von Rivers wrote:I'm not very clear on how multiverse ideas go. Is there a container universe for the multiverses? If so, I think what I said still applies. If there are just separate and distinct universes, then perhaps you can take a transcendent perspective and...do whatever, shift intuitions about origins back around. That's all I was talking about---shifting intuitions about what must have a first cause. But perhaps you could still say from within your universe that... well, whatever I said before.

Anyways, when I hear "multiple universes", I think of "possible worlds". ---It is a logical or semantic device, but nobody (or at least not many) are saying that possible worlds are also all actual worlds.

A universe is generally considered to be a continuum. Wiki says "all of time space" but what they mean to say is "all of this spacetime continuum".

That means among other things, a realm where the same consistencies, 'laws' apply.
Some physicists consider the possibility of a parallel universe with a mirrored set of laws to account for the fact that there is so little antimatter in our own continuum. A detailed explication of this theory has been published last year. Part of the theory now is that time is running in the opposite direction there as in our universe.

A multiverse would not be a continuum of space-time, but it might be a continuum of a higher order.
But since we don't know that its safer to assume its a set of different universes which may or may not combine into a higher order.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image -
Value Ontology - Philosophy 77 - sumofalltemples - The Magical Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Previous

Return to Philosophy