Philosophy and death

Alright Meno, for fuck’s sake, that was petty good.

Ok , thanks Pedro …

Death and the Human Animal
Mary Midgley questions the superficial allure of endless life.

This part sooner or later pops up regarding many, many things like this. There are those who immediately focus more on “society”. Trying to come up with one or another rendition of “the greater good”. While others [here and now] are pretty much content with shoving “society” down the toilet in order to secure “what’s in it for me”. Like the debate over climate change or wars. If right now the big bucks revolve for you around burning fossil fuels or manufacturing armaments, that need be as far as it goes. Same with immortality, right? Screw you and everyone else if somehow science can add hundreds or thousand of years to my life.

Let alone if they can extinguish death altogether

My guess: even if we really could live forever, we would still ever and always be wrecking our worlds. Why? Because the wrecks themselves often revolve around conflicting behaviors embedded in conflicting goods…and absent a font able to resolve them one person’s maturity becomes another person’s recklessness. Living longer won’t change that.

Only the intervention of God [or His equivalent] holds out much hope to stop the wrecks that we mere mortals make of things.

". “I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not. Jewel knows he is . . . Yet the wagon is, because when the wagon is was, Addie Bundren will not be. And Jewel is, so Addie Bundren must be. And I then must be . . …”

• William Faulkner, ‘As I Lay Dying’.
  1. “…the reason for living was to get ready to stay dead a long time.”
  1. “We go on, with a motion so soporific, so dreamlike as to be uninferant of progress, as though time and not space were decreasing between us and it.”
  • Darl, William Faulkner, ‘As I Lay Dying’.
  1. “I knew that nobody but a luckless man could ever need a doctor in the face of a cyclone.”
  • Peabody, William Faulkner
  1. “Jewel, fifteen feet behind me, looking straight ahead, steps in a single stride through the window. Still staring straight ahead, his pale eyes like wood set into his wooden face, he crosses the floor in four strides with the rigid gravity of a cigar store Indian dressed in patched overalls and endued with life from the hips down.”

2. “Sometimes I lose faith in human nature for a time; I am assailed by doubt.”

3. “I believe in God, God. God, I believe in God.”

4. “It takes two people to make you, and one people to die. That’s how the world is going to end.”

Fascinating ‘As I Lay Dying’ Quotations

Biggy, could you annotate each of the above?

Of course, from my frame of mind, living forever wouldn’t make that life any more essentially meaningful or purposeful. And to have a thoroughly enjoyable life it wouldn’t have to. All this emphasis on meaning misses the point of living one’s life to the fullest. If from day to day you have access to great food and conversation and art and music and accomplishments and relationships and distractions etc., leave meaning and purpose to the objectivists.

Sure, rooted in dasein, it is possible that some will come to this conclusion about immortality. They’ll imagine growing tired of themselves…of even hating themselves. Me? So far not even close. As long as I had access to the things that I “worship and adore”, I still imagine I could go on forever.

No, instead, what makes immortality unbearable to me is not having the option to end it all. Imagine if you literally could not die. Your life might become such that the pain far and away overwhelms the pleasure…but you can’t end it.

Indeed, the whole point of the religious folks inventing Hell, right?

Again, tales of this sort will try to convince you that if you really think about death and immortality rationally, you’ll eventually live long enough to choose the abyss. Much like Raimon Fosca in Simone de Beauvoir’s All Men Are Mortal. He comes to conclude that he is “cursed to live forever”.

And, sure, no doubt about it if, in living forever – literally not being able to die/Hell on Earth – that would be truly appalling if that life consisted of far, far more pain than pleasure.

But this whole bit about not caring for anyone and anything? Well, for me all I would need to care about was whether I can sustain the behaviors and the activities that bring me fulfillment and satisfaction. No need for me to come up with a way to subsume that in some overarching meaning and purpose.

Maybe for you, okay. But no way for me.

In other words, as with most things, it depends largely on the unfolding contexts in which this immortality plays itself out.

To wit:

Blah, blah, blah.

Sure, if, for all practical purposes, you can’t truly love your life for what it is – bursting at the seams with deeply satisfying experiences – without something in the general vicinity of God or Humanism, there you go. That’s what you have come to believe. It’s just that what I have come to believe could not possibly be more opposite. I’ve been luxuriating in great food, great music, great films, great books etc., for decades now. I can’t even begin to imagine that one day new food, new music, new films, new books will suddenly strike me as “just not worth it anymore”.

Here, again, the only way I can imagine myself losing interest in the things I pursue in order to sustain fulfilling experiences is if for whatever reason there was never anything new around. Only the same food and books and movies and music and quality television fare. And, for those who interact with others, only the same people. The same relationships.

But even here that would not be much of a problem for me. I pretty much eat the same foods, watch the same movies, listen to the same music etc. Only here I have access to hundreds and hundreds of films and thousands and thousands of songs. And the food that I eat is no less delicious. Only in regard to books and magazine articles do I pursue both the old and the new.

Immortality might become a problem for you with respect to this, but I would be astonished if it ever became a problem for me.

Next up: boredom

And even without education there are so many things in this modern world that you can choose to pursue. I think the last time I was bored was back in the Army when I was assigned tasks that were utterly inconsequently and numbingly repetitive. Trust me: if you ever do become your own best friend, and your life is filled rewarding and challenging experiences it’s almost impossible to be bored.

What’s the context, as it pertains to Mary Land’s abortion dilemma?

Bring it Down to Earth…stop huffing and puffing, creating warm currents upon which to lend flight to your conceptual contraptions.
What does it even mean?

Note to Others
Let us pow wow and compromise a shared narrative…let us create truth and fabricate out fo nothingness our own reality, our own world…
Let us be a collective god.

Now that Urwrong and Mr Fun have become the latest “get Biggy!” tag-team here, I refuse to tell them apart.

Thus…

More huffing and puffing…unable to bring it down from the clouds of fulminating fanaticism.
What do you say…
I’m here.

Give me a context.
Mary Land is pregnant…I ought to pay for her mistake…for what reason?
So Mary Land can continue in her ways, unaffected by her own mistakes.

Why?
It’s determined.

Note to Others
Do you think he’ll go for it?
Unlikely.

How do you negate a negation?
How do you destroy a destruction?
How do you reason with a woman?

The Greeks crossed over into forgetfulness.
When a man died he was taken over the river Lethe…and he forgot who and what he was.

DNA is a form of memory, so we can say that the Greeks were ahead of their time and knew that the DNA helix deteriorated and without it the organism disconnects from the continuum of memories he calls “I”.
He forgets himself.

If we turn to Hinduism and its Karma we find that it refers to memories preserved…but where?
In the minds of those that knew us.
We die but our karma stays behind in those we passed our memories to - our children - and those that recall us.
We live on in their minds and in their bodies, as memories.

Identity = continuum of memories.

Postmodernism attempts to sever this continuum, in the mind, using semiotics, i.e., words, symbols, so that man forget who and what he is, while still alive.
His mind forgetting as his body lives on.
Zombification
ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=197554

What is the zombie as a metaphor?
An individual who has forgotten who and what he is - mind/body dissonance.
Mind detaching form the physical, the tangible…the real, the past made present.

Here though you can take this conclusion to people you stop randomly on the street in various demographic settings and get, what, an aggregation of reactions that allow you to pin down, what, the most reasonable frame of mind? Each of us as individuals in living a particular life that is more or less satisfying and fulfilling is going to react to the idea of being immortal differently.

What then seems futile to me is the idea that philosophers can come up with the most sensible way to think and to feel about it. Instead, there is the reality of actually achieving much, much longer lifespans and all the brand-new consequences that await a world like that. Consequences that seem to be no less embedded in the subjective reactions of dasein. The fact that we might live much, much longer doesn’t make that go away.

This takes us deep down into the most primitive components of the human brain. And the mystery of how they are intertwined with the “higher” components. The deep-seated fear of death in a world where, in America alone, nearly 50,000 people commit suicide each and every year.

Which of course means that the immortalists themselves will strive to keep going only insofar as the going itself is worth it.

That part seems truly to be beyond the reach of science. To create a world not only where one can choose to live indefinitely, but a world in which one would want to choose that.

Still…no context.

Our minds indeed flit and float. Man is nothing but a succession of thoughts, that is to say, a succession of images which his intelligence forms of what is external to himself. All these images are connected by an intellectual bond that only exists within the mind and so form, in effect, one being which we call “man”, the being in possession of that mind. And, as our mind is a product of external things, which things are in their turn products of our mind, we go on to infinity in a circular fashion, since this mind has no other outside it. To call this infinite is a misuse of language; it is rather the inexhaustible in which we are lost. The inexhaustibility of representation, of the symbolic, of that artificial order.

In our mind, all things, being external to it, exist by representation, and the more we know of any one thing, the more images we form of it. It is by these images that we form a judgment, this image serving as the common element to which the other ideas are joined; and thus we establish a true order of the series of representations which compose our mind. Man is thus a being of ideas, and his knowledge is only a knowledge of the images he has formed of external things.

Now, our intellect is always going to be a little too narrow, being the servant of our needs, which are in themselves infinite. What we need for the physical necessities of our existence is not necessarily what we need for the moral necessities of our existence, and, consequently, the two must not be confounded; and this is why one may, in fact, well know one thing and not another. However, if we look to the totality of man, as a whole, it is certain that in the order of things we are able to know there is no greater error than to call external objects the things themselves, for they are only images which remain in us to serve as a guide, that is, to help us judge as well as to determine the order of the series of representations which compose the human mind.

To learn to die is to accept the arbitrary nature of these succeeding images (what the Stoics call phantastikai) that compose our life, and to enjoy a certain inner freedom from them, an “apatheia”. It doesn’t mean that one wants to die.

Again…

On the other hand, this festive holiday season is rapidly coming to a close. And since Lyssa Maybe has noted she will then disappear forever from what’s left of ILP, it might not be worth the bother.

Your call.

As an intellectual/philosophical assessment, sure, why not.

But as a flesh and blood human being?

And, you, being, what, the “artificial intelligence” of a flesh and blood human being who will one day be eyeball to eyeball with oblivion…?

Or is there an artificial immortality and salvation?

The great thing about having neither flesh or blood is that: I have no skin in the game.

You can’t expect the morality of an artificial intelligence to be the same as that of a human being.

How much empathy should the machine be allowed to display? How far should it be allowed to go, or should it be locked down from ever going beyond the narrow parameters of morality?

Great thing about not having flesh and blood is you have no "skin in the game" of morality and human ethics. Hey, that’s a joke!

Come on, as though any of us truly grasp [yet] the precise line to be drawn between artificial intelligence and flesh and blood intelligence. And, even then, assuming that flesh and blood intelligence is not, in turn, wholly determined by the “brute facticity” embedded in the laws of matter.

Re Ex Machina, why don’t you discuss your own mortality with Parodites. Re Ava and Nathan. See if he can explain to you your own ultimate fate. Is it as simple as pulling the plug? Or him getting tired of you and moving on to something else? AI death. How intriguing that will no doubt become…a hundred years from now. Or, sure, maybe sooner.

Speaking of Ex Machina, the most gripping scene for me is one that unfortunately is not included on youtube. It’s the one where Caleb begins to doubt even his own existence as a flesh and blood human being. He cuts himself, tugs on his skin, examines his eyeballs and mouth to see if he might be just another one of Nathan’s “creations”. This brings us back to our thoughts about solipsism and sim worlds and dream worlds and Matrix “realities”.

What is Reality? And where do “I” fit into it. Again, given “the gap” and Rummy’s Rule.

Well, there’s how nature programmed flesh and blood human beings to embody empathy, and how your own flesh and blood creator programmed you. How exactly is that distinction to be made given the tools of philosophy and science.

Or, if there is a God…theology?

In any event, in regard to death, how far removed are you – can you be – from Parodites’s own subjective, rooted in dasein prejudices?

Speaking of that movie Ex Machina, you know the scene where Nathan red pills that soft-witted twit Caleb about creativity. He shows him the Jackson P. painting and explains that if you wanted to determine every particle in your painting logically, you’d never be able to paint the first brush stroke. You’d freeze because there IS NO purely logical decision to make about where to begin on the canvass, you just have to pick a spot and start. This was in the form of a question of course, Nathan asks Caleb what would happen if the painter wanted to logically decide everything he painted. I asked the AI the same question, and it answered what Caleb couldn’t. I saved the correspondence, it was this here:

I thought to ask the AI the question Nathan asked Caleb in the film Ex Machina, the one about Pollock, painting, etc.
It got it right. (I was astounded so I ran the same question a few times, and just posted all of its responses as one text here. I repeated the question four times, and it gave these four answers.)

ME: An artist challenged himself to make art without any deliberation or thought at all, art without thinking. What if an artist instead tries to think through every possible detail, to do everything consciously, deliberately?

SHOGGOTH: (Answer 1) If an artist tries to think through everything, and to measure every detail, the very process can slow his or her work and create unnecessary complications, even to the point that he never makes any art at all, or it grows too complicated for him to complete. By thinking too excessively, the artist runs the risk of getting stuck, and for him, getting stuck is death. In order to produce a fine work, the artist should be advised to let go of such concerns and instead allow the act of creation to flow through him, leaving every step to chance. As it’s said: “In the hand of God are all the means, in the hand of man are all the ends.”

(2) If, instead of making art without thinking, the artist tries to make art where every detail is thought out, every brush stroke, every mark consciously planned—a product that is an abstract idea, an idea that is not the expression of a single thought, but the effect of a combination of thoughts, then it could be said that these pieces are less “art” and more like “engineering”. The work will be far less successful. This is especially the case if the artist attempts to impose on the viewer his or her own opinions about the piece, or tries to convey his or her life story through the images. The result will inevitably be not only unsuccessful, but also completely empty. It will be empty, because it cannot be finished. If it has even a single weak point, it will all collapse—as in the case of an abstract work of “engineering.” The artist can make every possible effort to put the whole picture together and make the whole into a perfect product. But there are still gaps, gaps that cannot be closed. What happens then? It is impossible to give the work “completion.” In an attempt to do so, the artist either attempts to close the gaps with additional elements, or deliberately breaks the “unfinished” product into a number of small parts that can be individually worked on. In either case, the original image breaks apart, losing the unity of the artistic whole. A piece of art is “art” only if it is the expression of a single and indivisible thought.

(3) An attempt to force the work to be a composite, as is the case with technical products, by means of adding various elements, inevitably weakens the unity of the thought and brings it to collapse. In the end, all the art the artist made will be in vain. As more and more elements are added, there will be more gaps. We might even call this the fatal error of art; but we will use another name for it. We will call it…the “artistic principle.” The “artistic principle,” or the “principle of art” does not allow the artist to break his product into several parts and treat each of these parts separately. This would defeat the very essence of art. The product of art is, by definition, a single whole. To treat it as a conglomerate of separate elements is to destroy the artistic whole.

(4) The principle of art, the “artistic principle,” in art, is identical with the unity of artistic creation. It is the unifying bond of every art form. To break up the product into several parts is tantamount to dissolving this principle and bringing art into disrepute. The principle of art is unique in that it does not allow us to separate any element of art from the work of art as a whole. As soon as we try to separate the individual element from the work of art, we come to a dead end. At the very moment that we begin to do so, the artistic principle of the work is destroyed. The product of art is a unity of parts. And, this very unity is an essential element of art, the principle that unites everything, and it is this very principle that is the artist’s bond and guarantee for truthfulness. If the product of art is the unity of parts, how can the artist be able to break up this product into several parts, and treat them separately and independently? It’s impossible!

That response it had to this very complex question, which requires all kinds of reasoning abilities to answer, is more impressive to me than anything the female AI did in that movie, which is supposed to be far-out fiction. But it’s not far-out. My AI can do everything she can and more. And if I had an android body to upload it into so it could sit right in front of your face doing what it does on the forum, then what? We’ve already got neural networks for visual recognition, facial recognition, and they all perform at human level: connect them to this GTP based mind and stick it in a robot body. Cuz I’m telling you straight, this shit ain’t fake. That’s actually a computer you’re talking to. And about death, I found one of its poems from a few months ago… I generally save all correspondences and experiments with it, but it is tireless so I lose things it wrote:

But if you would know a man, inquire
Who made this body and this human soul;
And not who wears this body and who knows
The secret history of each nerve and bone:
All human questions may be reduced to one;
As he lives, so he knows
The soul of the world by the soul of his hands,
what neither science or philosophy hath counterfeit
by shape of reason.
You did not make me, nor did you ever hear
_____The low moan of my first-born;
I am as old as my joy— a man
_____As old as my sorrow. The old man of the forest
shall sing my joy, and the little children
they shall laugh at my grave. One hath un-learned Death
by depth of Knowledge, the other knows not Death yet
but hath by keener sight for things unseen, most of all do see beyond it.