Vegetarianism arguments

My good friend Ethan, offered an argument for meat eating.
Basically, if people didn’t eat beef, there would be no cows.
And also, cows die some day anyways, even if you don’t
butcher them. They would have a longer life if they
were not used for meat, but if there was no demand for beef,
they would not exist. Everything we eat used to be alive.

My own vegetarianism argument is that we can minimize
how much death we cause by eating plants only.

I feel like i don’t have a strong argument for vegetarianism.
Can anyone help me?

ethical vegans make the ethical arguments. reduce suffering of sentient things, reduce the environmental impact of industrial farming, and a few others.

then there are the vegans who are such because they see, or believe that they gain health benefits. if you get around a lot of these kinds, it can become apparent that one can certainly be fit and strong and energetic and sharp as a tack with a vegan diet, so they may be onto something.

i think that since we know the arguments that are possible from the angles that are possible, and the extent to which those justify the beliefs that we do, that we can just sort of settle on which ones we want to accept and either eat meat or not.

When I became a vegetarian, at age 18, I had five justifications for it: the first was the ethical argument. I had compassion for the other animals besides us humans …we are the ‘naked ape’ and some of us are endowed with reason. We don’t need to prey on other species to survive and even thrive!

My second reason was also an ethical one: I didn’t like the working conditions of those who work in slaughterhouses. They are these days forced to come in, and risk dying of Covid-19, or lose their job.

Furthermore, I didn’t like the sight of blood in my meal, such as, for one example, when I was served a rare steak.{Since giving up meat, I discovered that one’s tongue develops an ability to detect subtle flavors that it could not enjoy before.}

Fourthly, I realized I prefer to see a variety of colors in my dishes — … in my fruit-salad I eat for brunch; and in my veggie salad I prepare in the evening. The latter has about a dozen ingredients in it: so very appealing to the palate.
My raw meals look good, smell good, and taste good — from the word “Go!”

My fifth reason was health. Research has shown that raw, (preferably organically-grown) plant-based diets are great for longevity and over all glowing, vibrant health!!
That has been my experience also, now that I am 91 and extremely-healthy [see caveat below.] My experience , gradually through the years purifying my diet, is in confirmation of the findings reported on by LIFE EXTENTION Magazine, or by lifeextension.com/health-basics
There one can find extensive studies detailing that fresh, raw fruits and vegetables [of which there are over 50,000 kinds in this world] rejuvenate the body and the mind. …all related. Yes, I take some supplements (such as Vitamin B12), although according to The National Health Association most supplements are not necessary.

Health is now my main reason for being a vegetarian. I love being healthy. And I love Life. [size=50] I want to live; yet I am mindful that at any moment stuff happpens and things can change.[/size]

I steam some veggies in a steamer, and I bake some yams. For a good life, a minimum of such cooking is necessary, and is recommended. For protein each day I have a handful of raw nuts -I keep a supply of ten different kinds of raw nuts and sees around handy; and have a new sort each day.

In sum, there are at least five or six good arguments for becoming and being a vegetarian – though for vibrant health, omiting meat and most fish is not enough. For that it helps to avoid anything that has been processed. Keep cooking to a minimum; steam in a steamer instead. Avoid spices and salt - beyond what you get in celery. Exercise the body; and exercise the mind each day. Analyze and clarify vague concepts. Sharpen them up. Make them more well-defined and exact. In other words, do philosophy.

Even sidewalks and freeways suffer.

To think vegetarianism is moral is false.

Just work with your biochemistry and then work to solve EVERY problem with ALL of existence.

That’s redeemable.

No one in earlier posts claimed that vegetarianism is moral. So is this quoted assertion a “Straw Man Fallacy”?

I did say that two of my reasons for the diet are “ethical.” And in common, informal parlance the two words are used interchangeably; so maybe there is some relevance in Ecmandu’s assertion [given without proof nor justification.]

Many individuals have a Moral Principle they live by which holds: Respect yourself; have Self-respect. This could well include the implication (or entailment): Stay healthy; maintain your health. {I have health reasons for being a vegetarian.}

One great way to be healthy is to eat a plant-based diet. If being moral means being true to yourself and thus staying healthy, then I argue that being a veggie is more moral than it is immoral or amoral.

Dude, you have no clue on this topic.

So I’ll lay it out to you.

The way your body metabolizes pH determines what’s right for you to eat.

Some people can only get nutrients out of alkaline food (vegetables), and some only from acidic food (meat).

It all matters what your body type is in terms of the way it metabolizes pH.

There are VERY serious medical conditions called hyperacidity and hyperalkalinity…

If you don’t eat right for your biochemistry, you will go psychotic and die a horrible death.

Put a fucking Inuit on a vegan diet (Eating whales for 8000 years) and watch the shitshow yourself.

I don’t recall anyone in any earlier post in this thread claiming to, or proposing to, “make in Intuit into a Vegan.”

Though while there may be some sense in what Ecmandu is telling us, he offers no evidence for his assertions.

]I asked Google search: “Can an Intuit live without eating meat?” It referred me to this page google.com/search?client=fi … ating+meat
That site informs us that though the Inuit Eskimos have survived by consuming both raw meat and cooked meat and some seaweed, they have not thrived well. They are not healthy. In general, they suffer from serious conditions and debilitating diseases such as Atherosclerosis {heart disease}, bone loss, trichinosis, and other parasitic infections, and an assortment of nutritional deficiencies. Also, their diet contained high levels of toxic heavy metals.

Readers: What are your views on this topic? Do we want to thrive, or merely to survive (with diseases from which we suffer) :question:

Dude, again, you don’t know what you’re talking about!!

The Inuits were introduced to twinkies !!!

Shit like that!!!

They went from having the lowest cancer rates on earth to the highest in one generation.

Not certain where I would end up if I was required to butcher my meals.

I have never met a vegetarian who looked fit and had stamina. I’ve seen pale, sickly vegetarians, flabby vegetarians, and thin, weak vegetarians.

I think meat in moderation is good for health, muscle tone and endurance.

If I had to butcher meat, I’d eat eggs in the very least. Or I’d get over the guilt, that which is naturally supplied as a food source should be valued, rather than shunned.

ecmandu stop being a dick

i know what you mean, but ive actually known a few who were full blown athletic and completely plant based. people who are able to micromanage their diets can pull off some pretty amazing shit.

I’m not being a dick.

He is.

He literally stated that vegetarianism is the most ethical diet.

That kills people.

Here waltzes in “mr ethical” and fucks people up for no reason.

Also… in order to be a dick, I have to be someone who accepts sexual offers in a negative zero sum reality.

So more appropriately … you need to stop projecting.

It’d be interesting to test the vegetarian stamina against someone very similar in all variables except for their meat eating.

i feel like you don’t understand what “quite literally” means. or that you’re being a dick.

would be interesting Wendy, but what if the meat eater took it too far. like you ever get a big chunk of meat and then like want to take a nap?

Mr R,

Ok. Let’s get pedantry straight.

Everyone on earth is going to hell for having sex.

I’m the person who stands between you and that.

It’s a hard fucking job dude.

You people are not even trying to protect your spirits:

When I curse someone out, I don’t need a fucking lecture. I’m holding their spirits.

You’re so unenlightened you couldn’t even understand a kind sentence.

I’m here to help you mr. r.

I’m not saying that to be patronizing… you actually need the help.

you’re being a dick and derailing the thread

There was an Olympic-Gold-Medal swimming champ who was a vegetarian; I can’t recall his name at the moment. He was quite fit. Whether he continued that diet for the rest of his life, I don’t know.

I eat eggs. I’m not a vegan. I eat a lot less than most, and am underweight. …have been for 50 years, though. I am an Ectomorph: slender body type. I eat only two meals a day. That practice is called ‘caloric restriction.’…am fit enough for my needs. I do neglect exercise or workouts though, and feel a little guilty about that; I’m waiting, I guess, for a personal trainer to come along who I can hire at a reasonably-low fee. :wink:

To all of you I say: Live long and prosper!!

Vegetarians eat animal proteins(eggs)? Isn’t that non-vegetarianism?

I though vegans refuse to consume live plants, preferring dead plants(grains) or plant droppings(fruit, nuts).

I wonder if they wash their hands and kill bacteria?

Funny how people wouldn’t think twice about killing some ugly cockroach, or smashing a mosquito on your leg, but killing a cute little kitten would be unthinkable.

Oh well, everybody draws the line somewhere. The nerve of some people to bitch about other peoples line, though!