The Medium is the Message, The Mode is the Meaning

Marshall McLuhan famously changed the shape of media studies with his influential work, ”The Medium is the Massage”. (The word Massage evidently originated as a printer’s error which was then adopted by McLuhan in an ironical act. It no doubt struck him that the waves sent out by media communications ”massaged” the receivers with their vibrations.)

The analyses of McLuhan’s phrase, ‘the medium is the message’ are often clouded by jargon and mental acrobatics. A medium is anything that acts as a carrier of information between two points in space and time. For example, a television is a medium which carries the information, which is projected through cable lines into the television, from the sender to the viewer. In this example, the cable lines are also a medium. They can be, for example, mediators of electricity. Language is a mediator of the content of our sign systems, used to translate external phenomena into behaviour patterns through the mind.

As someone who has long been fascinated by McLuhan, media studies in general, along with philosophy, science, psychology, and cultural history, but has always striven after an understanding of how knowledge relates to human behaviour, I felt as if something was missing from McLuhan’s formulation.

McLuhan wanted us to start thinking of media themselves, instead of just the information that we broadcast across them. For example, I am writing these words and they may be read and interpreted in a given way by you the reader, but what I have written is far less significant than the structures and even networks of the different media in our lives. Examples of the latter would be the computers, phones and the like which we use to compose internet sites and read, or engage with, them.

This kind of analysis would move a step further, as seeing media as part of systems, and the final system would be an ecological system, or a cosmological system. To say that an internet site is part of an ecosystem is an attempt to point out that, as a medium, an internet site works among a number of media, for example computers. Even insofar as a computer itself is a piece of information, the production processes themselves would be media as well, including the stores one buys with, whether they be online or in a physical location.

This ‘McLuhanian’ media view traces the structures of our lives, and we can examine the type of world we live in and the beings in it. One could even go so far as to ask whether a tree is a medium, and there are many ways that a tree could be conceived and analysed as a medium. A good example would be through explication of the process of photosynthesis.

McLuhan saw issues with looking only at the contents of media. In photosynthesis, the contents would be things such as light, carbon dioxide, water, sugar, and oxygen, and so on. In a website, it would be these words as well as the layout designed by the website provider. McLuhan believed that if we paid more attention to the media themselves, and the systems and networks which they function in, we could gain a better grasp of the impact of any information as it is transferred across space and time.

Since early youth, education has been a passion of mine. Not just educating people about various topics, but about how education works as a process. How it forms skills, habits, and behaviours of people which continue throughout their lives. I began thinking about this as a child. Though I did not read Marshall McLuhan, I was directly exposed to an institutionalized school system, and it made me consider not only which information was chosen and which was not for our lessons, but even the environment which is created around the school, through peers as well as attitudes and classroom schedules. Even how a classroom is structured, with students in a seated position over prolonged periods of time, with an instructor who is in a position of authority not only to decide which discourse is accepted and which is not, but assign judgements of value based on pre-planned courses or systems of education.

This was one of the first issues I applied my McLuhan’s theory to. The result of that application was the formulation of what I believe should be the natural continuation of Marshall McLuhan’s statement, ”the medium is the message”. That statement, in my opinion, should continue, ”the mode is the meaning”.

What I mean by ”the mode is the meaning”, is that any given message will have a meaning for us. If we are going to look at the medium, for example this website, or websites in general, the internet, and so on, including the network of relations and the systems which any medium is embedded in, and receive some message from them, how can we tune into what that message is? The problem with McLuhan’s’ formulation, is that stores seem to stand empty, or if they have products those products of themselves mediums, but of what? We could look at the ingredients list at our grocery stores. They are often filled with numerous chemicals which we know very little about. But is that the message? But what does it mean?

Understanding ”the mode is the meaning” is very simple. Mediums are used in various manners, to transfer information. But we use those mediums in certain ways. For example, I use this blog to put up certain information, but we could classify this information into ‘kinds’ of information. Embedded in these ‘kinds’ of information is the ‘mode’ in which I use this medium. As a website user, one might use the various contents of the website in a given way. One might read it, one might click on certain buttons, to get to other places, or to have certain effects on the page, and so on.

Just like media themselves, our modes are also related to broader networks and systems. We do not use the internet or this blog in a vacuum. We use them as part of lifestyles that we engage in. Those lifestyles are parts of networks, if one wishes to think of them that way. These networks stretch historically, because we and objects exist over time. Thinking this way opens us to recognizing causes which impact us which are outside of ourselves.

One can think of our physical world in a number of ways. Geographically, for example, in the form of various maps composed of the Earth. In terms of our daily experience of the world around us, including institutions, property and the practices we associate with them and the laws attached to their use and potential.

Marshall McLuhan invited us to look at the world as composed of various mediums, ourselves included. He told us that this was the message. For example, we are mediums of energy and power through our effort. What we put our effort into receives that energy. If collectively, humanity puts their effort into the industries, companies and corporations, then the collective practices of these companies, through their various mediums, whether they be the workplaces themselves, through production facilities, or through marketing and sales methods, will receive that effort and that energy.

What I want to add to McLuhan’s ”message” is it’s ”meaning”, which is to say its mode. The institution of marketing is interesting, because it purports to be the communications of messages. This could also be said for any communications, whether they be from news organizations, politicians, and private individuals. McLuhan would not have us look at what ”marketers” say, but at the medium.

”Marketing” is a medium because it transfers information, namely people, to become ”marketers”. This logic is at play in all jobs, titles, and particularly culturally conceived naming systems.

What I am asking for is to take this logic a step farther, and ask about the mode in which the medium transfers information. A classic example of a medium for media theorists is the television, and in contemporary studies the internet. Media theorists would ask questions about the way the media, such as technology like our phones, computers, and so on, interacts in the life-world or ecosystem of other media. Humans, as explained, can be part of this media.

To look at the mode of marketing, one would look at the entire institution, from its foundations, origins, the titles and designations within its various institutions, canonical texts, and so on. The institutions of marketing then operate by broadcasting signals. These signals are often done through technology, but also techniques such as having popular or authoritative figures and celebrities communicate information, and many more techniques which are intended to create a kind of vibration in the receiver.

Marketing institutions do not just operate on the level of individual advertisements, but rather create ”brand names” and ”brand presences”, where their symbols and institutions are recurring in people’s lives and ecospheres, online or off.

From this perspective. We, as transmitters of power, energy, and potential, would then choose our various modes of transmission. The modes of transmission we choose to use speak the meaning of our message.

This was originally posted on our blog: https://waderbyorchard.wordpress.com/2021/06/28/the-medium-is-the-message-the-mode-is-the-meaning/

I’m inclined to doubt that. The meaning of “massage” exactly fits what the book(s) were about - best summarized by the quote -

“the content of a medium is always another medium”
It reveals a type of “mass programming” or “mass hypnotism” (the masses being unaware of what is being fed into their worldview - creating racism, Marxism, authoritarianism, anarchism, paranoia, lunacy, or whatever).

And I get all of that - but -

I am having trouble with understanding your addition -

Are you referring to the methods as “modes”? And I still don’t see where the idea of meaning comes into looking into the institutions involved.

Can you possibly give a specific example (w/ minimal rhetoric)?

Examples of mediums are computers, the internet, forums, and blogs. These mediums can be used in a certain way - that way of use I would term the mode.

I wrote the post originally with Wäderby in mind. Wäderby is a way of using those mediums, in order to create practical effect in the world in the form of forest gardens, and spreading information, enabling contact between disperate people, etc.

The point is the way in which you use, for example, this forum, signifies its meaning. If a medium is a television, the television could be used by sitting on a couch and turning it on, or it could be used in front of a larger audience to display particular information.

I like an alert poster. :smiley:

So the way a medium is used is your “mode” (of use).

So Wäderby is a mode (of medium use).

And that is where I must be too slow - how is "the way you use this medium (a “mode”) signifying a “meaning”? Do you mean purpose? The mode is the purpose?

Hello again, thanks for critiquing my post. I hope it isn’t written in such a way that makes the meaning unclear, as my intention was the opposite.

I would say that Wäderby is a mode, because the medium would be something like a corporate form or a not-for-profit organisation, and by ‘performing’ as Wäderby, as well as Wäderby’s practices, we are using that medium in a certain way.

I don’t think that meaning and purpose can be distinguished completely. Purpose implies a kind of intention directed towards the future whereas meaning would refer to the expression of that intention in time. (In social sciences this is usually referred to what is called a difference between synchronic - occurring or existing at the same time or having the same period or phase; and diachronic - of, relating to, or dealing with phenomena (as of language or culture) as they occur or change over a period of time.)

My ‘purpose’ might be to spread the forest garden, physically with my hands and in my presence. But my meaning could be embedded on this website even in my absence, and thus the forest garden might spread through another recipient, if they understand my meaning.

Please understand that I am not “critiquing” it as much as trying to translate your English into my English and your thoughts into my thoughts for the purpose of forming a greater grasp and more solid understanding within my own mind. I like to gain very very solid understanding on most things (probably an infant insecurity thing - [size=85]but don’t tell anyone I said that [/size] 8-[ ). My mind is the type “analytical reductionist”. I analyze things of interest and reduce them to their minimum essence - stripping out the subtleties and nuances for sake of storage. I am not claiming or judging any right or wrong or good or bad (not yet anyway :smiley: ).

Good - got that.

My purpose is to hit the nail but my meaning is to swing the hammer? “Meaning” being the activity involved to accomplish a purpose? - leaving me with “mode is the activity involved in accomplishing the Wäderby Orchard”?

I would normally call that “my method” (or maybe even “my modality”). But I guess “Mode is the Modality” might seem a bit tautological. :wink:

With the example of swinging the hammer, I would say this. You pick up the hammer, you swing it, you hit the nail. Each of these are part of your life. You might miss the nail (by no intention of your own) and because you see your teleology in your intention then the moment of swinging the hammer did not exist (of course I don’t mean that literally).

I don’t mean to speak in riddles, but I would mean this. When we do hit the nail, that is also the meaning, and the nail may be part of a house, and we find meaning all along the way. Because the house is connected to your home, your dwelling, your family, and all that is rich with your experience and caring.

You like to complicate analogies - don’t you. :laughing:

Anyway -

I find your writings and intentions a bit “5th floor erudite” but otherwise intelligently purposeful and well thought out (unlike many I run across). You being in/from Sweden explains a lot. :smiley:

It would be good to see you accomplish what you seem to be aiming for (I like networks and team efforts). So I hope the best for you. :smiley:

Thank you, I wish the best for you as well!

With me - MIJOT is the eternal highest goal - Maximum Integral Joy Over/through Time. :smiley:

I can see a sense in which your goal seems a good and possibly the right one (even for myself). In no sense do I wish to be a killer or joy and would rather wish to contribute to it. I do have a problem with the notion. In terms of the terminology in this thread, joy would be the ‘message’ and humans would be the medium. The thing about joy is that it seems like a word we use to designate certain bodily sensations, an outlook which may correlate to kinds of experience embodied by our sensory data.

One issue is that it doesn’t seem easy to replicate joy even if we find one instance or performative act which gives joy, because the replication is dependent on many co-existent factors and our brain seems to be formed in such a way that the repretition of stimuli dampens the effect.

Another issue might be if sensations of ‘joy’ could be produced in the brain irrespective of circumstances, for example through drugs like Huxley’s soma, anti-depressants, or other kinds of narcotics, sugars, and so on. One could find ways to “trick” the brain to experience “joy” or be convinced that it does, irrespective of lived experience.

If you have a link or would like to talk about your conception of joy, that might help myself and others. Thanks for the conversation.

G’day again -

I didn’t mean to shift conversation - but because of how you replied I sense the need to clear up an understandable confusion.

In the context of MIJOT - the word “joy” is a general broad category of all of those positive feelings - regardless of how they are named. And the acronym MIJOT is the result of a very deep analytical understanding of how the body and mind function - in philosophical “Affectance Ontology” terms.

There are a variety of ontologically specific terms that are important for understanding why MIJOT is actually - literally - everyone’s highest possible goal - even when they never knew it (and still don’t).

Mithus on this board compiled a book that probably explains it better than I can -
James S. Saint: Rational Metaphysics:Affectance Ontology … and its analogies in Psychology and Sociology

A few social, psychological, and ecological concerns -
PHT = Perception of Hope and Threat - defined to be what guides all conscious decisions. Whatever path is perceived as more attractive is the perception of hope and whatever is less attractive is the perception of threat. That is an ontological declaration and definition of “perception of hope” and “perception of threat” and applies to all intentional decisions.

Joy is defined as - “the inner perception of progress toward an accepted perception of hope”. This directly relates to the degree of momentous inner and outer harmony (required for anentropy).

Anentropy - the balance of give and take such as to form stability - neither growing nor shrinking in any critical aspect - a harmony of resource exchange and defensive posture yielding eternal existence.

A simple truth is that when anything stays in perfect harmony both within and out - it cannot perish. That has to be true merely due to definitions. So anentropy must be a state of sufficient inner and outer harmony (an ecological as well as social issue).

The part that isn’t easy to pick up at first is that the inner perception of joy is actually related to survival. The inner perception of joy is what is guiding the inner harmony (to the degree it can). When the inner harmony is disturbed the mind attempts to compensate in whatever way seems to work (it’s “perception of hope”) and that can - and does - lead to very many confusions of priorities - but the attempt is always to stabilize or strengthen the inner harmony - and that helps to maintain inner health (an internal ecology).

External harmony is also required for MIJOT so social and ecological strategies become important - “ethics”. In total MIJOT implies a great deal of momentous harmony (not stagnate peace) with the universe. It is the Earthly version of Eternal Heaven - eternal joy - physically, mentally, and socially stable.

So it isn’t about the mere feeling of joy that can be temporarily produced with chemicals interfering with natural processes. The inner mind is always seeking progress - that is why the mind becomes bored with drugs if given enough time. The drugs give a sensation that the mind eventually resolves to be non-progressive - a perception of the lack of hope.

It (and many other things) are probably explained much better in the book. I think it fits into your intentions very well - but I also think it would seem a distraction from your forest gardening focus (even though the two fit perfectly together once understood). There is a lot to it all and very analytical - a university of its own.

James’ signature was -
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony

Thank you for the response, it did clear up a bit. I do think that our objectives are very similar and the concern for inner and outer harmony are similar.

Because I trust your intentions on face value, and you say that it is so that your conception of joy over time would avoid the pitfalls I mentioned. I do think that nonetheless in a practical sense, it might be difficult to teach this to others without falling into those pitfalls by no intention of your own. I’m thinking for example in the case of children. They could be repeatedly distracted not just chemically but also by various games, forms of play, movies, virtual realities, and so on. Also, our capitalist culture thrives on creating ever newer distractions for people. Though these may only take place on the surface level, so that one who is wise would see past these momentary pleasures, there is a chance that even conceptions of ‘hope’ inculcating into children who grow up in this climate may not be able to conceive of better solutions beyond a new purchase or new satisfaction which dampens their anxieties and negative emotions.

I don’t mean to throw those things onto you, as if somehow you are responsible for them. Maybe for yourself, philosophy is an inner understanding and the path you are on helps you to build yourself to that new level. But the idea of maximizing joy is akin to the utilitarian ideal of the greatest good being the greatest joy, which of course is connected the current model of consumption and surface appearances, fleeting and momentary joys. It is easy to manipulate these instincts in a majority of people. I suppose some philosophers categorize those who cannot use their reason as somehow being of an ‘appetitive’ nature or ‘natural slaves’, but I think there is a sense in which we either contribute or take part in that social self-reproduction.

Again, not to lay that on you in any way. It is just an observation I made off the basis of the concept of ‘joy’, but your ideas seemed, on the surface of them, to point in the right direction. In the art section of this forum I made a post called The World as a Work of Art, the third post in that thread is called A General Introduction to Aesthetics. I don’t necessarily think you need a lesson in aesthetics, but that particular post ties to some of my studies and work towards harmony, in case you’re interested.

I agree that if someone doesn’t start at the right place with this kind of thing - they might get all kinds of strange ideas - you don’t teach chemistry to a child starting with how to make gunpowder. James’ affectance ontology is a huge field. I wouldn’t start anyone off with MIJOT - there is far far more initial concepts to first learn. You don’t start the climb at the top of the mountain. And I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone too busy to be able to concentrate - it is a mountain easy to get lost on.

I will give those a courtesy gander as well.

Good talking. :smiley:

Our interactions have been beneficial to me. I hope that my own influence, too, will have more of that which is good than otherwise. Sometimes, all we need is acknowledgement of one mind to another.