Schopenhauer is a Dick

Was, properly, but given he’s immortal, is.
An immortal dick. We’ve got a bunch of those.
Why do I call Schopie a dick? Well nobody would contest it really.
But my mind was brought around to it this morning reading a passage, where he says
life sucks and the only reason for living it is to learn that you’ll glad to be rid of it.
I mean what a dork.
Could this have anything to do with the fact that he saw women as pointless?

I think what makes him a dick is that he doesn’t believe it.

_
Could it be that he was having a moment, and a very bad one at that… we all have those… but ours’ are but fleeting, because ours’ are not immortalised in books.

Must everyone that we disagree with be “a dick”? (What’s the female equivalent, “a cunt”?)

If that’s the case, then I think that pretty everyone who posts to ILP is a dick or a cunt.

I’ve never paid much attention to Schopenhauer. From what little I know, he was a product of that strand in the German philosophy of that time that placed great emphasis on the Will. (Perhaps for Kantian reasons.) And he was trying to come to terms with atheism. which seemed to leave humanity stuck in a world without any kind of divine purpose or goal. Life appeared to be just some kind of blind (and ultimately fruitless) will to survive. It’s tempting to read Darwin into his thinking, but Schopenhauer was earlier than Darwin.

And Schopenhauer seems to have been influenced by what arguably was a misunderstanding of Buddhism and its concept of ‘dukkha’. This Pali word literally means ‘suffering’ though it has a more subtle use in Buddhism where it means something like ‘unsatisfactory’ or ‘unfulfilling’ or ‘inadaquate’. So when Schopenhauer read that all of life is ‘dukkha’, he read it to mean that all of life is suffering. Except that Buddhism doesn’t deny the reality of pleasure, but argues that pleasure is still dukkha. That means that no matter how much money, sex or power a person enjoys, there will always be something… missing. The idea that there’s some kind of Perfection out there and that if I can just attain it, then I will really be happy. Call it salvation if you like.

The idea in Buddhism is that it isn’t really a matter of there being some perfect thing that would make us truly happy if we could just attain it. The cause of dukkha in Buddhism is the psychological neediness that makes it necessary. Hence Buddhism’s emphasis on desire. The point isn’t to eliminate all desires (the Buddha obviously desired to teach) but eliminating the need to satisfy desires in order to find happiness.

Schopenhauer may or may not have misunderstood that point, so that he imagined that death is the only escape. I don’t know enough about Schopenhauer to say for sure.

I do think that he’s very interesting as an early example of an atheist philosopher and in his use of Buddhist ideas which was something very unusual in his time and place. (The Pali writings that he relied on were only newly translated into German.)

Just for the record: astro.com/astro-databank/Sc … er,_Arthur

“A dick” or “dickhead” is defined as a male who only acts to get sex.

It’s a slur for that man, but it’s also a slur to ALL women.

I’ll explain this very simply.

The only power women have in intellect is to know every man wants to fuck them. They have no selective pressure to develop spiritually.

None.

Because women throw most their sex on 1% of the male population… men have to actually think. They have to figure out what gets sex and what doesn’t get sex.

Women don’t have that pressure.

And because of this, they will always be dumber in a world like this.

Men have to think.

Women just have to wear tube tops.

Could well be. I was thinking that this morning as well.
Would a man who really feels like that even go to the trouble of writing such nicely stylized books?

That’s actually the background of my calling him a dick. I mean the preceding thought.

Lol

Not in my view.

Maybe Darwin was influenced by him?

Yes, I agree. He even mentions nirvana in the same passage, completely misunderstanding the concept, stating that after exiting a pointless life with a heroic gesture, man dissolves into nirvana. Its about the feeblest misunderstanding of Buddhism Ive come across.

Well said.

Id say at best interesting in a picturesque sense, as a curiosity, not in a philosophical way.

LOL

yep. Lots of planets in detriment.

Ecmandu - thanks for the elucidation on the meaning of “dick”/“-head”. There are other meanings in use on the Earth, one of which I had employed. The meaning I used can more or less be ascribed similarly to the equally profane word “asshole”, though the nuance is quite different. It’s hard to grasp this nuance, and not something that would yield a lot of merit to the field of philosophy, or so I would here dare to opine.

If you are talking about Darwinian selection, selection operates on populations of both genders and not on individuals. Also, there is no selection pressure for spirituality.

So only about one percent of men get laid?

So women are dumber than men. Got it. :confused:

Thanks for your input.

To continue my little part here Fixed…

Men and women are both doing each other a disservice.

Men don’t give a fuck, they’ll fuck anything that crawls on earth… which is why women call men pigs. The unfortunate consequence of men is that women have ZERO selective pressure, and it makes them stupid.

When women are younger and they realize every guy wants to fuck them, this makes them much more sophisticated than men.

But women are fucking up too…

They give almost 100% of their sex to 1% of men…

And all men know these are the dickheads… the men who take advantage of how stupid women actually are.

Because women are so dumb. They don’t realize that most men don’t take advantage of them; that these men are not only smarter, but have more depth of character.

All of this causes a cycle of aggression, resentment and stupidity.

I stepped out of the whole game.

Unless you’ve been directly taught by me personally, you know less about the game than I do.

Even though I don’t date or have sex, I give people relationship advice constantly, with the caveat that they’re idiots.

I didn’t see your message ‘til now pood.

When you talk about what the human species considers consensual sex… (which isn’t consensual at all), yes, women do the most fucking of guys with big dicks who play the game.

It’s that simple.

You may fuck your wife for the rest of your life.

But I guarantee you that she’s had all the big dicks she could ever wish for… that’s true of all women.

How many women with big beautiful breast’s have men fucked?

It’s minuscule.

This is an imbalance in pleasure and selective pressure.

Ok just, wow.

The difference between you and Schopenhauer is that you seem to actually mean this stuff.

But … does this make you less or more of a d-head?

I’m being hyperbolic to reveal an actual truth about humanity. Obviously there are outliers. Unfortunately, the herd determines.

I can’t be a dickhead. I don’t have sex.

The reason I talk about sex so much is that it’s a delusion that controls almost everyone’s mind and behavior… in terms of adding aggression and resentment.

Because I stopped being a hypocrite, I just teach.

My biggest problems in existence actually have nothing to do with sex anymore.

For people of a lower level of consciousness, I will talk to them on this visceral level.

:laughing:

Ec-
Well, that’s a relief. I happen to know a few exceptions, women who surpass almost all men when it comes to spiritual prowess.

Schopenhauer speaks of sexual honor, how for women this lies almost entirely in their public perception, of their chastity. He thinks a woman seen to have sex with more than one man would instantly be banished from society. He writes this as if this is a universal fact. It would be amusing to invite him into this day and age and see his reaction.

I agree that sex is a stupid issue and the problems and obsessions arising from it are entirely pointless and add no value to existence. A society so fixated on it like ours is, indeed, not admirable - given that there is no point to it, nothing comes of it.

In this sense, Schopenhauers point about sexual honor is not entirely irrelevant. I guess that is part of the reason for my posting about him in this context. Would the world be better if women were held to sexual honor, in the sense of chastity?

I don’t think so, personally - I think powers of nature unleashed are generally better than forcefully restrained for the sake of societal balance - but only because it is in theory possible to then harness them to a higher purpose.

I think sex is holy, to be clear. But I see where you’re coming from.

“…no point to it and nothing comes of it”? Are you addressing the obsession with sex or from the act of sex itself?

The particular fixation that holds our society in it’s grasp.

Though its not true that precisely nothing comes of it - a kind of savage potential is built up for something like a phallocratic religion.

(Speaking of immortal dicks)

No. Fixed. You don’t understand.

There are lots of women who want to have sex with me right now who are drop dead gorgeous.

(I’m not too bad looking myself)

When I discovered that we’re all immortal souls, I saw no urgency.

When I discovered the pleasurable exclusive access problem… that if me or my partner would shatter someone else’s heart while we’re having the best times of our lives…

I completely walked away from sex.

It’s not holy, it’s evil.

If you want to continue this discussion I will.

But know this… our immortal souls don’t need sex to exist.

This is a delusion.