Some quotes relevant to the new Ethics

This I believe is true:

: “A system that forces people to embrace absurd beliefs causes damage to their processes of rational thought. These impaired people are more likely to act illogically and destructively. With encouragement they may act barbarously. Here are three instances from a family of related .” ----Voltaire

To summarize,
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can get you to commit atrocities.

Do you see the relevance of this in today’s drive toward fascism and authoritarianism on the part of one of the political parties in the United States? Is it possible that a former President learned from Franco in Spain, fromA. Hitler. from Jim Jones, and from Hungary’s Viktor Orban the techniques of mass hypnosis?

In the psalms of David we find this thought:
Oh how sweet it is when people work together [co-operate on a worthwhile ethical project.] …the part in brackets is an assumption I took the liberty of making. as to the meaning David intended. D you, reading this, believe there is truth in that sentiment, as you reflect upon it?

As you may have noticed there is a section in the STRUCTURE OF ETHICS booklet that is devoted to the topic of how cooperation as to how it developed as the human species evolved…

Lets review some basic points.

Then I’d like to hear your comments. Or questions.

1. “Ethics” and “morality” are now two distinct concepts.

2. “Ethics” refers to creating value in human interactions. It is also a term referring to the study of the implications that follow from the practice of expressing the new perspective. This perspective is seen when an individual highly-values another individual. This valuation is known technically as “Intrinsic valuation.” When you value someone this way you at least show respect (as much as you can - depending on your capacity to do so.) Then you go even further.

3. To go further is to, for example, give a sincere compliment, make people smile or feel good about themselves, boost a person up in some manner, help the person out, help him or her to gain opportunity, find a way too be of service, be considerate of his or her feelings …or, in some way manage to enhance value.

4. “Morality,” in this new paradigm, means being true to your true self - in this sense: you develop increased morality by adding new positive ethical standards to those you live by, and by actually living up to these guidelines – thus setting a good example for others. This is a process of moral growth that is to continue throughout your entire lifetime. {Other moral principles you learned about in the Unified Theory of Ethics are: The Inclusivity Principle and The Consistency Principle.}

5. From the above points being understood and experienced in daily life … all the rest of ethics- [such as the principle: Do no harm ] may be derived; all the rest follows.

Any Questions? ----- Any Comments?

When I was growing up, i was deeply into Jehovah’s Witness culture.
The golden rule, and putting myself in other people’s shoes, was common.
Morality was clear.

Later i changed my mind.

Then eventually i came back to Christianity:
LDS church stuff.
Much more tolerant and charitable than JW.

I don’t believe we are all equal any more.
But that is no reason not to provide equal charity and support.
Every one, even Atheists, have a sense of morality, often.
Morals is part of being human.
It’s not based in religion,
even though many religions claim to hold the moral truth.

All we can do in this life is try our best and that’s it.

Yes. We may not be equal but we are the same in the sense that we all wouldn’t mind having a little more love in our life.

And Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs still applies to us. And so also does Robert S. Hartman’s Hierarchy of Values.

Here are some more quotes relevant to the latest model for Ethics which Dr. Katz, who studied the work of Dr. Hartman proposed:

“You want to go
Where people know
That people are the same…”

—Gary Portnoy (in the song: Where
Everybody Knows Your Name.)

“Take a sad song and make it better!”
----The Beatles (in the song: Hey Jude.)

Again, I would like to hear your questions and/or comments, or both :exclamation: :exclamation: