Brain vs Mind

Hacker is a good story teller but he aint no biologist, just a humble philosopher.

I managed to suffer 13 minutes. Nonething he said reached away from the idea that the brain and the mind are clearly identified.
How can he reject qualia as fantasies?

Actually, what interests me far more about discussions of this sort, is not what we believe about something intellectually/spiritually “in our head” but how, existentially, we came to believe it given the life that we have lived. While others, living very different lives, believe something else instead.

This and the part where [even to ourselves] we make the attempt to demonstrate “experientially/experimentally” why we believe what we do.

Then going here:

On other threads, regarding other things, I have attempted to persuade you to go there.

Perhaps now…here?

I’ll check if it’s still streaming on Hulu or Prime, I think it was on one of the major streaming platforms. If it was on Netflix, I don’t currently have access.

[Edit: May be the 4 part docu-series, The Ghost Inside My Child, on Amazon Prime. I watch a lot of docu-series and briefly rewatched a portion which I have seen and the subject matter is children remembering their past lives. I wish I had Netflix so I could make doubly certain, that what I recommended was the one where the researcher tests the kids with photographs.]

Okay. Thanks!

Made a Edit on my last post.

[Another edit for felix: wrong series above. It’s got to be on Netflix. I may join just to find this docu-series.]

What if the brain is damaged in the way it interacts with the mind/soul? This change could result in the personality difference. In my earlier account of brain damage causing less input, less output I never considered damage done to the actual link between brain and mind/soul, I was only considering damage done to the “perceptions” of sensory input or motor function output of the brain itself but what if our perceptions(our emotional reactions)only take place in the mind/soul but if the connection between the two changes, the personality output changes by the change in input between brain and mind/soul due to the minds/souls new framing of the bodies’ perceptions.

Yaay, found it! Netflix, Surviving Death, episode 6 Reincarnation. Found the episode on YouTube but since I’m not a registered user, it wouldn’t let me copy link(on my phone unless I’m doing something wrong).

You know, I have to tell you, I have seen two family members go through Alzheimer’s and one go through dementia, and I never thought their ‘personality’ disappeared.

Thank you, Wendy. I’ll check it out.

why assume mind/body duality?

Here’s why:

Wendy’s theory based on evidence from reincarnation research:

A link to University of Virginia division of perceptual studies videos on reincarnation research:

med.virginia.edu/perceptual-stu … -research/

Agree… that we are a holist-system, and not distinct parts that make up our entity… we are a living/breathing bio-feedback loop/the NS, which is fed by our feelings and thoughts (sensations), which when mixed with energy/input (food) determines the manifestation of our individual Self. To me… we are either all or nothing, or individual degrees of Ourselves… depending on our bio-feedback loop/NS health.

My statement above could be subsumed under the double aspect theory of mind/body. The evidence that Wendy has referenced seems to point to something beyond that which is unexplained.

Thanks for the link. Seems clinical/legit enough. Since I’ve experienced a partial mind body split through OBE( my body was still available to return to, not dead), this is my experiential evidence as to the separate mind/soul, where it is located, and one of its tasks-processing emotions. I am trying to extrapolate from my understanding and coordinate it with other evidences, such as past lives, other OBEs, and NDE’s as well.

What are your thoughts on the research?

I don’t think dementia/alzheimers is changing the personality, but it does seem to be wiping the memories from the most recent to the farthest past in its current lifetime before the physical death process.

One of the theories defined in James Baldwin’s Dictionary of Philosophy and Psychology, published in 1901, is ‘The Double Aspect Theory’. It is 'the theory of the relation of mind and body, which teaches that mental and bodily facts are parallel manifestations of a single underlying reality”.

Is that the same as depersonalisation/derealisation? …a dream state of none-lucidity that makes the mind feel independent from the body… perhaps in that state we are able to cast our minds out further, beyond our own physicality… which sounds like the medium of intuition-X-perception, so beyond merely thinking-X-judging, and which I have always thought some (not all) humans, capable of.

No. It says that a pattern of neural firing in the brain and a thought in the mind are different aspects of the same thing. Your dictionary definition nailed it.

I just finished watching the episode on Netflix. Someone once said that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That a child remembers a past life is most certainly an extraordinary claim. So while I appreciate that the show takes an agnostic view, there are many critical questions that could be asked that weren’t.

If these parents intentionally planted those stories in their very young children, that would be a form of emotional child abuse. In the first case the child reportedly said that he had been killed as a child. How would he know that? The question was not asked. And of course exploring it could be traumatizing in itself.

The second boy whose memories of a past life were said to be growing dim, himself said that he didn’t know if it was reincarnation or not. So he as the alleged experiencer was agnostic. That’s strong endorsement to take an agnostic position about the matter for the rest of us.

In the third case the parents took the child and went to Iwo Jima the supposed location of the child’s death in a past life. That shows remarkable buy-in on the part of the parents. Couldn’t that overwhelming parental interest encourage the child to embellish his infantile fantasies if that’s what they were?

So I find it all very interesting from a phenomenological point of view. The imaginal, is a significant layer in the world of the psyche. Images of reincarnation have a long widespread history there. This Netflix show provides more food for the imagination. I might even watch more episodes.

Felix wrote

Can you explain what you mean by the same thing? The definition expressly differentiates the brain and mind twice.

Ok, so… regardless of that: “…perhaps in that state we are able to cast our minds out further, beyond our own physicality… which sounds like the medium of intuition-X-perception, so beyond merely thinking-X-judging, and which I have always thought some (not all) humans, capable of”.

Thoughts, Felix?