Can dogs think phenominally?

Maybe this is the wrong question.
Phenomenology concenrates on the objects of direct experience. Surely dogs are the masters of their own experience?
If the phenomena are " situation that is observed to exist or happen through experience", then dogs are all about phenomenal thinking. All they do is concerned to the direct objects of their life experience.

The real question would be can dogs think abstractedly or conceptually

Actually, the question may be an inverted paradigmn, since most human beings assume that dogs can not think on the literal or lateral level of. thought. That is an assumed premise, which derives the phenomenological subset assumption.

Incidentally, the fact that premise having been questioned lead directly to it’s humanly understood reduction.

The questiin then becomes two fold , with that sub set meeting ( literally ) the figure(ing) of the meeting of the set with the subset.

According to some, such does result in a synthetic acquisition of knowledge, par example proposed by Levi Bruhl and Levi Strauss, where an
figurative analogy could be understood between the mode of operative thinking between man and dog. Operant conditioning may play a part here in connecting the nominal processes of association with the more evolved symbolic associations prevalent in human beings.

You are missing the point

And The Point is ?

There is no single point, but yours was not a response to what I way saying.

Let’s look more closely

Lets say that you mean paradigm, and that the FS after “thought” is a typo.

1. Not sure what you mean by “inverted paradigm”.
  2. I do not think we know what “most humans assume”, but you may be right that they cannot think literally. But conceptualisation, and phenomenal thinking are not “literal” thinking, so do not know why you say that.
    3 Whatever “lateral” thinking is I do not see the point of clouding the issue here.
  3. The last sentence does not refer to the rest, since you now bring in what you call “the phenomenal subset assumption” is a puzzling contruction given the thread and the post you are responding to.

oh really how?

This is just gibbering.

For the last paragraph you seemed to go completely astray. Did you leave the room between “an” and “figurative”?
Whatever it is you might be trying to say here, it seems to have nothing to do with what I said, and little to do with the thread.
Maybe you should begin with trying to say in simple terms what you think you want to say before you descend into post-moderism random sentence generator mode.

I am sorry fir the delay in answering You.
I have to deconstruct an abbreviated reply, do to time issues in my part and that’s not to say I will nit revisit as soon as I can

On the question of abstract thinking in relation a phenomenal one, the reduced cognitive ability of dogs to reduce more complex associations that they phenominally are perceiving-that ability to transpose signals of the kind they have formed into models of respinse, is surely can be understood as thinking more in terms of awareness toward objective criteria in the sense that most digs will react similarly to such signals.

The level of increased abstraction causes them to loose the particular general sense of behaviod, as the limit to their comprehension reaches a point where the mire general context within which such signals are exhibited, fail to connect with soecufuc signals or commands.

That point makes decisions increasingly hard fir them.

None of this makes any sense, and looks like it is utter speculation with no reference to the observation of dogs.

Dogs never have any problems with making decision. What are you talking about?

If You ever had keen observance of strange dogs, in their assessment of friend from foe, when they are uncertain or, decide to like You or fear you, they look away and bark at someone else

That is primitive projection.

Yes the do have a state of uncertainty at times.

ALl the dogs I’ve had in my life make decisions quickly and decisively.
When you are free from the conceptual, there are fewer choices that need be made.
DO you have a dog?

Actually I was born nearly a feral child. My father was pow in Russia, and my mom arrested for being politically suspect, and a huge sheepdog as my guardian. I remember he was very fond and protective of me. I cried when he died.

But I meant what I said about their change of expression when faced with ambiguity.

And my sweetest dog was a part pit but I lost track of her after by necessity my brother in law took him for the landlord found out and had me gave it away.

I babyied him, thereby negating all negative behavior, only struck hom one time and he had a confused puzzling look on him, felt almost guilty , but she did deserve it.

Do You have a special dog in Your life that You can recall?

I’m looking at her right now.
I can tell from the look she is giving me that her internal clock says its time for her afternoon dinner.
If I ignore her she will lie on her back, look cute and make gentle (ruff) noises as she pushes her paws into the air.

There have been others in my life too.

doggy.jpg

I’m looking at her right now.
I can tell from the look she is giving me that her internal clock says its time for her afternoon dinner.
If I ignore her she will lie on her back, look cute and make gentle (ruff) noises as she pushes her paws into the air.

There have been others in my life too.

Ah! How pretty she is. She seems to have some soft, fawn color running through her coat.

When I was a little girl, I lived with grandparents for awhile. We had a dog who looked so much like yours. Her name was Lady. Your dog’s eyes are wonderfully expressive. Sculptor. They do seem to have such a beseeching look about them. So pretty.

_
:laughing:

He’s so cute and innocent… a dog with morals. :smiley:

Calls for police force to hire German Shepherd after he suddenly stood to attention and reacted ‘disapprovingly’ when his owner mentioned the word COCAINE in passing

• German Shepherd lauded as ‘police dog in waiting’ after responding to ‘cocaine’
  • His owner suggested buying cocaine to test Dante’s reaction to the word
  • Dante immediately stood to attention and appeared to disapprove of the drug
  • The video was republished by an account claiming he was in fact a police dog
  • His owner confirmed that he is not, but often responds to the mention of drugs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0QBquoEZOQ[/youtube]

She is a daily joy, and we both love her more than it is possible to imagine.

You should see my girl when I say the word “pig’s Ear”. She has become so attuned to it, that you cannot use either word.
We switched to French but she learned in in French too.

I once owned a Labrador retriever named Chester. I’m white. Chester barked violently at a black neighbor who came into my yard until I put my arm around the neighbor to show Chester that we were friends. Chester never barked at him like that again. I wonder what that experience was like to Chester.

My Labrador also had a tendancy to be a racist twat for a hort while. All I had to do was reassure her that black people are okay. She likewise now knows that black people are the same as other people. She’s smarter than the average American.
It’s about overcoming unfamiliarity.
She’s never been bothered by any dog of any colour, though - again smarter than the average American.