Brain vs Mind

My statement above could be subsumed under the double aspect theory of mind/body. The evidence that Wendy has referenced seems to point to something beyond that which is unexplained.

Thanks for the link. Seems clinical/legit enough. Since I’ve experienced a partial mind body split through OBE( my body was still available to return to, not dead), this is my experiential evidence as to the separate mind/soul, where it is located, and one of its tasks-processing emotions. I am trying to extrapolate from my understanding and coordinate it with other evidences, such as past lives, other OBEs, and NDE’s as well.

What are your thoughts on the research?

I don’t think dementia/alzheimers is changing the personality, but it does seem to be wiping the memories from the most recent to the farthest past in its current lifetime before the physical death process.

One of the theories defined in James Baldwin’s Dictionary of Philosophy and Psychology, published in 1901, is ‘The Double Aspect Theory’. It is 'the theory of the relation of mind and body, which teaches that mental and bodily facts are parallel manifestations of a single underlying reality”.

Is that the same as depersonalisation/derealisation? …a dream state of none-lucidity that makes the mind feel independent from the body… perhaps in that state we are able to cast our minds out further, beyond our own physicality… which sounds like the medium of intuition-X-perception, so beyond merely thinking-X-judging, and which I have always thought some (not all) humans, capable of.

No. It says that a pattern of neural firing in the brain and a thought in the mind are different aspects of the same thing. Your dictionary definition nailed it.

I just finished watching the episode on Netflix. Someone once said that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That a child remembers a past life is most certainly an extraordinary claim. So while I appreciate that the show takes an agnostic view, there are many critical questions that could be asked that weren’t.

If these parents intentionally planted those stories in their very young children, that would be a form of emotional child abuse. In the first case the child reportedly said that he had been killed as a child. How would he know that? The question was not asked. And of course exploring it could be traumatizing in itself.

The second boy whose memories of a past life were said to be growing dim, himself said that he didn’t know if it was reincarnation or not. So he as the alleged experiencer was agnostic. That’s strong endorsement to take an agnostic position about the matter for the rest of us.

In the third case the parents took the child and went to Iwo Jima the supposed location of the child’s death in a past life. That shows remarkable buy-in on the part of the parents. Couldn’t that overwhelming parental interest encourage the child to embellish his infantile fantasies if that’s what they were?

So I find it all very interesting from a phenomenological point of view. The imaginal, is a significant layer in the world of the psyche. Images of reincarnation have a long widespread history there. This Netflix show provides more food for the imagination. I might even watch more episodes.

Felix wrote

Can you explain what you mean by the same thing? The definition expressly differentiates the brain and mind twice.

Ok, so… regardless of that: “…perhaps in that state we are able to cast our minds out further, beyond our own physicality… which sounds like the medium of intuition-X-perception, so beyond merely thinking-X-judging, and which I have always thought some (not all) humans, capable of”.

Thoughts, Felix?

No it does not. Not really. The definition moves from tow differentiated words (from common usage) to show that they are tow apsect of a SINGLE UNDERLYING REALITY. QED - the same thing.

The mind is what the brain does. All mental activity is a brain activity. Without the brain there is no mind, no thinking. It’s more than just dependance it is identical. All mnd phenomena are brain activies.
Some people find this hard to face, since it follows that everything we are is physical, and we do not persist after death.

People have been obsessing about this pretty rare claim, for a very long time.
In all that time there is not been a single verified or supported claim.
You can be as agnostic as you want. I am agnostic that there is not a colony of intelligent tea-pots on the dark side of the moon, but I do not waste time and effort persuing what is essantially a foolish fantasy.

That’s the wrong question. We don’t do thinking. The thinker is created by thought. The ‘mind of brain’ is thought. Soul/spirit etc. is an invention of thought. There’s a body and its thought process and that’s it. The so called ‘outside world’ and awareness is a different story, altogether.

Okay, what is the right question? Then tell me about that different story, if you don’t mind(ironic fun pun double entendre).

The double aspect theory or dual aspect theory as it is also called is a type of mind-body monism. Accordingly the mental and material are different aspects or attributes of a unitary reality which is itself neither mental or material. So mind and brain are two aspects of the same thing. Of course, that raises the ontico-onticological question: what do we mean by “thing”?

Duplicate post

Well yeah. My intuitions are a way of knowing that I don’t understand in terms of judging or discursive thought. And they are accurate for reasons I don’t understand. Psychology gives partial theoretical explanations of this. I think it’s been demonstrated in controlled experiments. But none of that can explain exactly how it happens to me when it occurs on a particular occasion.

Reincarnation does defy common sense. But so does spooky action at a distance which has been scientifically demonstrated. The University of Virginia has been amassing documentation on this phenomenon since the late sixties. So just dismissing the phenomena out of hand without supporting critical analysis of the data is by definition unreasonable.

Although you start off with the definition of double aspect theory, what you go on to describe and assert sounds like mind-brain identity theory.

Various types of energy(most unidentified)in infinite patterns. Thingness=energy pattern
Mind and body are not of the same energy or the same pattern.

That’s something you need to figure out, but it might be unrelated to the thought that freaked you out. Your original question was “does thinking happen in the brain or the mind?” If the mind is thought, what would the question be or would it be?

I mentioned the ‘different story’ so you wouldn’t assume I meant that the body and its thought process was all there was.

Wendy, don’t forget about me…