Calling All ILP Historians! (A Selfish Request from psyque)

This might be of interes to you psyque:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169817&hilit=ilp+legends

Hi psyque, sorry for the delay. First five posts require mod approval, and we’ve been a bit short-staffed lately. But you’ve passed your five now, the rest of your posts will be visible straight away.

Thank you for explaining that, only_humean. I shall now respond freely (but appropriately–don’t worry!)

Now that I know my responses will be posted, I will thank you properly, tentative. I’ll also peruse the site a bit to see if a few old-schoolers have returned for nostalgia’s sake.

Thank you, oughtist. Great link! It gives a good retrospective of the people I remember (many of them at least). I literally laughed out loud when I saw the impression that I happened to leave.

I appreciate the feedback that various people have provided. Would anyone of these people–or others–be able to give me a line on either Shyster or Tab? I had both of them in my Email lists years ago but Email accounts come and go, unfortunately…Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I checked out the thread in the Psychology and Mind section (natch) dealing with Pedophilia and the DSM-5, since those are issues I speak about in class and in the media regularly. I soon received a stark reminder about why I had to avoid these kinds of forums in the first place: Notwithstanding the great potential to debate or share ideas with incredibly intelligent, insightful, creative, articulate etc. individuals, these kinds of sites can lead to hours upon hours of fruitless discussion with people who are not capable of modifying their positions no matter what. Rigidity truly is the antithesis of any discourse–or mental health…

Hmm… How true, how true…

That’s called “projection” when you do that: disowning our own traits onto another.

That’s called ‘one-upping’ in NVC. In philosophy-speak it’s called “argument from authority”. In colloquial language it’s called ‘putting on airs’, it’s done to try to conceal an insecurity… such as if someone doesn’t really have much insight about an issue they pretend to be open-minded and well informed about. Hmm…

I’m not really an ILP historian, but I’ve been here for a good while. Pretty much just talking about smoking weed until someone says something that’s just too easy to attack. Then I just go back to talking about drugs again. Yeah, that’s about it.

Good :slight_smile:

Pav is PavlovianModel146, the mod of the Social Sciences forum and he’s a quite stationary hotel manager from what I know. I’ve got no idea who the person is that you’re thinking of, but then I never paid much attention in phrenology class. You are a lot of things, but an idiot is not one of them. For what it is worth I look back on your verbal assault on me with some fondness, and thank you for it. I am a much happier person now than I was then.

Tab is still about occasionally on ILP, and I imagine you can contact him via his blog at:
writeitorbust.blogspot.co.uk/

Good to see that, Gobbo. And I appreciate the irony in your new name…

Hmmm…I do remember the name but I’m trying to remember why I would remember you in particular. The weed smoking was more a Gobbo thing–not that it’s not common among many people, but it was “his” thing on ILP…I’ll have to infer that we didn’t have any memorable run-ins–which is probably a good thing… :wink:

Thank you for the lead, SIATD. I guess I don’t know Pav. The guy I was talking about was maybe Romanian? The Adler once commented on the shape of his head from one of the many pix he posted, stating it looked Eastern European. The one I’m thinking about went to Mexico and showed a bunch of pix from his travels. He may have had a hot companion but I can’t remember if they were platonic. And there was a picture of him trying to skate somewhere in the US. Oh, and I think he often wore a tight suit to cover his slim/gangly frame. Seriously, I can’t remember what I had for breakfast three days ago but some of the crap that still bounces around in my brain is scary…scary and sad…

As for our “history,” I have some fond memories as well. One thing I remember is I once used “actually” to preface something I was about to say in the process of contradicting you; you claimed that people tend to say “actually” before they are about to tell a falsehood (or something like that). I rolled my eyes because you were wrong in certain contexts–namely, when it represents a kind of mannerism when one is about to correct, contradict or put someone down. However, it did stick with me and yes, when people are about to lie when I interview/assess them, they do often say “actually”–along with a bunch of other “tells.” Again, the things I remember…

Oh, and I’m not sure if you were the one who said this (I know someone else who did but when I heard her say it, I knew I had heard it before), but I think long ago someone on this site mentioned a great “subtle” insult: “You are as smart as you are handsome/beautiful.” With that in mind, I smiled at the unintentional or intentional meaning behind “I am a much happier person now than I was then”–i.e., when you and I were embroiled in silliness… =D> No, I’m not being paranoid…I just thought it would have been a clever way of poking at me…

You can use all the labels as you want, dfetc. I don’t know how old you are but I’ve seen the same strategy since the advent of the internet and BBS sites many years ago–whoops, I’m implying an argument from authority by making an allusion to my age…oy…; and of course, philosophers have been playing that game since long before I ever set foot on this earth. And of course, the oldest trick in the layperson’s book is to borrow from the realm of psychology and to use “projection” a la “I know you are but what am I?”

Yes, all these terms can be applied and, in some cases, they accurately describe someone’s behaviours. However, in real life–which is the place I prefer to inhabit most of the time, dfetc–one can make such assertions to show, for instance, that he–in this case, I–has made certain statements repeatedly in public, meaning that they could be scrutinized by many thousands/millions(?) of people, including my colleagues. Hence, if I am wrong in some way, they can challenge me as my name is obviously known to my students and it’s flashed on the screen or mentioned on the radio several times whenever I’m speaking publicly; to me, that is a far better test of my credibility than some random/anonymous online pedophile or pedophile advocate. Of course, you would not know that this is the main reason I mention my history of making such statements publicly, so I’ll forgive you this one time. And yes, I know how my forgiveness comes across here. That is intentional and is directed at only you, no one else. So call it what you will and call my actions whatever else you want. That is a game that I do not play any more. Please re-read my post about rigidity to understand why that is. And if you wish to continue your mental masturbation, please find another partner because I will not engage with you further, as you saw in the DSM/pedophile thread (aside from a little crack I couldn’t resist).

Are you thinking of zenofeller?

Actually, there was an advert on TV in this country years ago, I can’t remember the product, that pointed this out to me when I was young. I was simply recycling a bit of pop psychology that had been fed to me in order to make me feel better about buying something. Obviously it stuck with me for a while before I used as part of my insurgent reaction to your incursion. And that’s ‘actually’ in the sense of ‘actually’ rather than in the sense of ‘I’m playing for time to figure out how to lie my way out of your question’.

That does sound like the sort of thing I would have said, though again if I did say it I’m sure I picked it up somewhere else. I certainly did not intend the meaning behind being happier, I just meant that I am happier, and I’m sure you helped me learn a few things about myself in amongst the silliness.

I’m telling myself maybe you are confusing which is really real between “the illusion” and “the desert of the real”?

Too bad you allow yourself to become triggered by this subject that needs patience and compassion to enter; you’re missing such great discussion where someone of your expertise’s insight would be so valuable,

A paradigm shift in attitudes toward pedophilia is happening now? The old positions were entrenched and polarized; at one end were emotionally charged mob reactions like ‘he should be castrated’ or even ‘he should be hung’, while at the other end were observations such as those by academic Arne Fred…
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=180334&p=2347650#p2347650

Foucault’s response was that, “[t]his notion of consent is a trap”. That’s because contractualism is something that happens on the level of egoic consciousness: the capitalopatriarchy; whereas, what is true i…
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=180334&p=2348137#p2348137

I think that’s the one. Thank you!

I “actually” get everything you’re saying here… :slight_smile:

It’s actually a great line (now I’m obsessed with the darn word…). I used it a number of times and it’s interesting that only certain people seem to pick up on the potential insult behind it. But to be fair to them, if said with supposed sincerity, there’s no reason to infer anything negative about it–so I would add a tiny bit of inflection to make the irony or sarcasm more noticeable; but since I try not to be a jerk in real life, I never said it to someone I actua…errr…genuinely thought was not attractive or intelligent…

As for your statement, I did truly interpret it in a positive manner. And truth be told, I learned a lot about myself during my initial time on ILP and I really hope it helped me grow as a person. It did certainly show me how obsessed I could become when trying to prove a point. It also revealed to me how powerful the defence mechanism of rationalization can be, at least in my case…

Wow - A blast from the past.

Hey Psyque.

I’ve kinda given up on the internet philosophy schtick, mainly due to the fact I’ve solved philosophy, and know the answers to everything.

Well. Something like that anyway.

Glad to see you’re still alive. I’ve just hit 44, have two kids in primary school, working at the same university and didn’t win the lottery today goddamnit.

Hey Tab,

Great to hear from you. Yup, still alive and doing well on this end of the world. I saw your gif on your website–looking great and your kids are adorable. I tried to comment on the site but the security thing was giving me a hard time and seemed a bit fishy (don’t ask…); not sure if it ended up getting through. I would comment further on what’s going on but I still need to maintain my public anonymity. I’ll PM you.

Alright, I must admit reading this a coupla decades later is pretty trippy. (Check it out, I even made “most clever” on a #legends list a decade ago o.o)

Atlanta, specifically. I’m kinda too lazy to dig for the specific picture (yes, I remember it), but this should be just as good. Same suit, anyways.

Cheers.