Food Trials

Justice will be served.

Here, I will be setting up and executing experiments in my kitchen.

I am living a low carb lifestyle for several reasons, the most important of which is my carbohydrate intolerance. Yeah, huge bummer upon that ultimate realization since high carb foods are beloved.

I have started to substitute almond milk(yuck) for skim milk in my sugar free Jello puddings, but found out a couple days ago that almond milk cannot be substituted for all the milk required because the pudding will not set up(thicken/firm).

My current experiment involves reproducing the low carb version of banana pudding dessert without sacrificing all the yummy taste.

My main substitutions are:

Jello sugar free banana pudding (1/2 almond milk substituted) This way 13 carbs total per 1-1 oz. box. I used 2 boxes.
Stauffers animal crackers(instead of vanilla wafers) 16 crackers = 23 carbs I crushed up about 2 servings of cracker to mix through pudding.
Redi whip extra creamy dairy whipped topping. 2 Tbs=1 carb I am using 2 servings.

No real bananas added.

So per 1/2 cup serving of this dessert, we’re looking at 18 carbs. This revised recipe is chilling in my frig, I’ll report back on its taste.

It (my version of banana pudding dessert) was better than okay. Close enough in satisfying effects. YES, more please!

Sounds good.

Lately I’ve been buying Snack Pack Tapioca Pudding, and I can’t get enough of it. Yum! :slight_smile:

However, my math calculations regarding the carbs per 1/2 cup serving was too high. I’d forgotten to factor in the double sized batch overall so…

12 total carbs per serving. Oooopsie! :mrgreen:

[Edit: Tapioca is my favorite pudding :wink: but I haven’t figured out a tasty, low carb way to make it yet.]

oak milk > almond milk

4 for $1 at Walmart. What’s a carb??? LOL :slight_smile:

Is oak supposed to be oat?

Unsweetened almond milk has 1 carb per 1 cup serving.

What does unsweetened oat milk have carb-wise?

oat milk i mean. not oak milk.

i dunno about the carb content but it’s so good. put that shit in your coffee. i love it.

i think almonds have the lowest carbs of all the nuts. get the raw unsalted ones they’re so good.

Planning ahead. Hmmm, what’s a different take on a ham steak?

Add blueberries.

In what kind of sauce to sauté the blueberries?

Sage? Something earthy.
Almond milk?
honey?
cornstarch as a thickener? (will cornstarch even thicken almond milk?)
tenderest celery
capers

Tonights test will be adding cornstarch to almond milk to see if it thickens.

Bought capers in oil yesterday, first time buying capers and all. I have never even tasted a caper by itself. So there will also be a caper taste test to make a decision if those will be added to tomorrow’s, ham steak, sauce adventure.

My next experiment will be with nutritional yeast. What is it and how to make it taste good?

Big Lots has a fine selection of atypical food items which I always find myself purchasing.

I also picked up a product called Hemp Everything, some kind of seasoning, healthy at that, for future experiments.

If you mix the cornstarch in cool water then add that mixture to the almond milk, thickening occurs.

Not certain how I feel about the blueberry sauce. It’s coloring is a beautiful purple, but the taste is not quite right.

2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbs cornstarch mixed into 1/2 cup cool water
2 Tbs honey
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup tenderest celery stalks chopped up
2 Tbs butter salted
1 bay leaf
pinch of Thyme
pinch of Rosemary
dash of salt

Letting the sauce marinade overnight, then after warming tomorrow, it will be drizzled over the golden brown, fried(in coconut oil) ham steak.

My Cousin dipped his ham steak in that blueberry sauce and liked it. Shocking because I don’t even like it. I’m ambivalent towards it.

Blueberries counteract the salt of a ham steak.

Mom asked for a taste test report. Eh.

Next up, an experiment with nutritional yeast.

0FB81234-C2CF-4893-A049-CB795F7880A7.jpeg

Cheesy flavor? It’s flavored, ta boot?

Eye-yei-yei, this is becoming more and more complicated .

In a soup, perhaps? Decided to thaw out one pound of Italian pork sausage and use a tomato base with assorted vegetables.

4855452D-8E83-4F7E-9290-AA323C0A12E3.jpeg

A semi-healthy(expired canned veggies) Italian stew with…

2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
1 can condensed Tomato Soup
1 16 oz. can Diced Tomatoes

1. 16 oz. can Stewed Tomatoes
    1 lbs. Italian Pork Sausage
    1 16 oz. can Sweet Corn
  2. 16 oz. can Spinach
    1 16 oz. can Green Beans
  3. 8 oz can sliced Mushrooms
    1 cup frozen onions and peppers
    onion powder
    garlic powder
    salt
    Italian Seasonings(lots)

Tastes delicious! Not going to thicken the base. But will melt mozzarella cheese on top of bowl full.

Next up by way of experimentation is the “Everything Hemp” seasoning.
550AC75C-8644-4FF6-B4D3-FBF7C8362F27.jpeg

As far as I’m aware, hemp is something that has never passed my lips.

The product, Everything Hemp, was not everything in the taste department, it wasn’t anything in the taste department. After adding an ample amount the a few fried eggs, I was verily disappointed.

It is made up of several healthy seeds which give a bit of texture and crunch, but this product is not worth buying. Forever pass.

A new dish using sour cream.

What else can I do with sour cream? Maybe a soup after this.

Polish kielbasa sliced sautéed in butter
a head of cabbage sautéed until golden brown and the edges crisp up
onions
peppers(green, red, orange)
salt
pepper
3/4 cup of sour cream added/combined the last few minutes

3DE51AEE-06B6-480C-AC53-003CF601C1A0.jpeg
Before I added the sour cream. Ended up adding a bit of garlic powder too.

The finished product was rich and delicious.

Since I have more sour cream than I know what to do with, there will be a chicken and veggie soup with sour cream added to the broth. I may also throw some chia seeds into it for the healthy Hell of it.

Will add the specifics tomorrow as it’s prepared.